The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

Some things in life have a greater or lesser probability than others. The chances that Son of Beast will have another accident have been or will be assessed, and most certainly will be/are one of many factors in the decision whether or not to reopen the ride.

And the potential magnitude of any liability if a future accident occurred, is also sure to be a factor. I can almost imagine the lawsuit - Kings Island and Cedar Fair/Apollo did knowingly operate an attraction that has caused multiple injuries in the past etc. (I'm sure there would be words like wanton disregard and negligence thrown in there as well)

Would you really reopen SOB after all that has happened with it? Cedar Fair tried just about everything but take it down and rebuild the thing. Its not cheap to do what they had to do with it since 2006. You had the retracking, taking out the loop, plus they redid the part of the ride at the spot of the accident, the new cars, the accident payouts. SOB needs to be taken down or be SBNO for life. Cedar Fair sees the dangers of SOB. I havent rode SOB since 2005 when the ride got so rough that it hurt my back. Btw, i didnt sue. Lol. Building the tallest and fastest woodie as you can see and tell, didnt pan out all that well that most would of hoped. I just think that for the sake of the park goers, Kings Island and for Cedar Fair as a whole, that Kings Island never open SOB again. SOB's next accident if it opens again could be far worse. Maybe killing 1 or more people. If that happens, then the park could suffer big time. The ride is worthless. Now, its just a big wooden darn near 20 million dollar paperweight. People can prove me wrong if they like. But to me, its just a nightmare to ride.

All too true.

See also:

throw good money after bad also pour good money after bad to spend more money on something that has already failed If you try to fix that car, you'll simply be throwing good money after bad. There's got to be a better way to save our children than pouring good money after bad into government agencies.

Although, Diamondback was infact 'New in 2009' just like the website states. So this could be the 2010 page. It's not likely, but I just thought I'd throw it out there. And another thing to put out there, if the park plan(s)(ned) to take down Son of Beast, why wouldn't they have just taken it off the website when they edited the "Notice: this ride is closed" on the website?....

also notice that, "this ride is closed for the remainder of the 2009 season" has been removed since closing day, they could have easily changed the 09 to 10.

just saying :)

Right now they're trying to sell visits for the upcoming summer, and season passes, and planned trips. Why on Earth would they boast on their website that one of the most....colorful....rides in their lineup will be closed?

Next year is 2011...it hasn't even been announced if it will be open THIS year yet! :)

Plus, that is last year's page...notice the 2009 reference for Diamondback?

Actually it is a 2010 page, because as you so clearly point out, THIS is 2010 and the page is being opened and looked at today. Whether it is an up to date and accurate page, well .............. it is the Kings Island website :P

also notice that, "this ride is closed for the remainder of the 2009 season" has been removed since closing day, they could have easily changed the 09 to 10.

just saying :)

Right now they're trying to sell visits for the upcoming summer, and season passes, and planned trips. Why on Earth would they boast on their website that one of the most....colorful....rides in their lineup will be closed?

well, the way some people talk, there are a whole heck-of-alot of people that despise the ride, so in theory wouldn't it boost season pass and ticket sales according to everyone that hates it rejoicing that it's gone? ;)

well, the way some people talk, there are a whole heck-of-alot of people that despise the ride, so in theory wouldn't it boost season pass and ticket sales according to everyone that hates it rejoicing that it's gone? ;)

The amount of people that are not going to buy passes or go to the park because SOB is still in operation is going to be a hand full of people compared to the amount of GP that walks into KI wanting to ride that really big wood coaster sitting over in Action Zone that they have never seen before, and don't know what it is even called. Secondly, the people that complain about SOB are going to go to the park to see what is going on with it as well. Just my thoughts.

just saying smile.gif

well, the way some people talk, there are a whole heck-of-alot of people that despise the ride, so in theory wouldn't it boost season pass and ticket sales according to everyone that hates it rejoicing that it's gone? wink.gif

I dont think that someone would buy a pass because they closed a ride. I think I would buy a pass and ignore the ride.