Kings Island's 5@5 Q&A Thread

bkroz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, most Six Flags parks now require that you have NO loose articles with you in line for most of their coasters. You most stow items with a non-rider or place them in lockers (conveniently located at the entrances to the rides with this requirement). There are NO places or storage cabinets in the ride station for loose articles like there are at Kings Island. Speaking about storage bins, The Vortex has received the same type of storage bins that Diamondback got last year.

Actually, most Six Flags parks now require that you have NO loose articles with you in line for most of their coasters. You most stow items with a non-rider or place them in lockers (conveniently located at the entrances to the rides with this requirement). There are NO places or storage cabinets in the ride station for loose articles like there are at Kings Island. Speaking about storage bins, The Vortex has received the same type of storage bins that Diamondback got last year.

And then (as always, leading the pack) is Universal, whose lockers are free for the first hour(?) and a dollar per hour thereafter. In other words, having to put something in a locker just so you can ride a ride is, essentially, free. As PhantomTheater pointed out, that increases guests willingness to buy something during the day. Not to mention, paying $2.00 for a locker will quickly lead one to decide against spending money in the park. Though it doesn't make financial sense, it's psychologically true that if you pay $2.00 for a locker, you feel less willing to spend money on food later.

Questions for Tuesday's 5@5, anyone?:

Long day at work. Rushed out to get the kids and other family stuff. Sat down at the computer to do the 5@5 thing (which I actually enjoy by the way) and find that the "questions" have come down to this...

Brian Broom

Michael asked yesterday about the locker fee, You gave one of the most lame a$$ anwser's ever, You compared the price to other park's, My friend and others went to Mason's city concel, To stop them from impossing a 3 and 5% tax, And your trying to justify an amost 300% increase because other parks charge more, Is this your way to tell us it's not ok for Mason to take money out of our pockets because it'll stop people from comming to the park, Don't you think raising price's counter productive?? or should we just go to the other parks to see for ourselfs?

Hard to get motivated on my end with this. Okay to state an opinion. Not okay to do it this way. Not here. Michael asked a question and was given an answer. Obviously not the one you were hoping for.

Sorry to everyone else but that's it for today.

I think this is a prudent time to remind everyone that the park is doing this 5@5 thing on their own time, and generously so. It is neither required, nor is it typical of a theme park. It goes without saying that this 5@5 period is mostly for us, the enthusiasts. I doubt many casual parkgoers traverse Kings Island's Facebook often enough to even find the 5@5. So in effect, they've asked for questions from their biggest (and, as the biggest typically are, most critical) fans.

But what it really comes down to in my opinion is the park's willingness to do this 5@5. As he said, he is not a computer answering these questions, he is a person. And it would be very difficult for any of us to show a willingness to sacrifice our personal time just to have to constantly "ignore" some of the obnoxious, redundant, and plain old rude way that questions are asked. That would weigh heavily on your spirits after a while. If you have a point to prove about prices, Son of Beast, or personal complaints, do them here where they can be sorted out - don't bring them directly to the park and muss up one of the most generous and inviting things they've done in years.

I'm not sure the person who asked that question is on here or not, and don't mean to single them out - it's not that. It's just time to check into reality for all of us and keep the questions for 5@5 courteous and respectful. Ask the questions no differently than you would if you were face to face with the answerer. Please & thank you.

Questions for Tuesday's 5@5, anyone?:

Long day at work. Rushed out to get the kids and other family stuff. Sat down at the computer to do the 5@5 thing (which I actually enjoy by the way) and find that the "questions" have come down to this...

Brian Broom

Michael asked yesterday about the locker fee, You gave one of the most lame a$ anwser's ever, You compared the price to other park's, My friend and others went to Mason's city concel, To stop them from impossing a 3 and 5% tax, And your trying to justify an amost 300% increase because other parks charge more, Is this your way to tell us it's not ok for Mason to take money out of our pockets because it'll stop people from comming to the park, Don't you think raising price's counter productive?? or should we just go to the other parks to see for ourselfs?

Hard to get motivated on my end with this. Okay to state an opinion. Not okay to do it this way. Not here. Michael asked a question and was given an answer. Obviously not the one you were hoping for.

Sorry to everyone else but that's it for today.

I think this is a prudent time to remind everyone that the park is doing this 5@5 thing on their own time, and generously so. It is neither required, nor is it typical of a theme park. It goes without saying that this 5@5 period is mostly for us, the enthusiasts. I doubt many casual parkgoers traverse Kings Island's Facebook often enough to even find the 5@5. So in effect, they've asked for questions from their biggest (and, as the biggest typically are, most critical) fans.

But what it really comes down to in my opinion is the park's willingness to do this 5@5. As he said, he is not a computer answering these questions, he is a person. And it would be very difficult for any of us, even facing our harshest critics, to show a willingness to sacrifice our personal time just to have to "ignore" some of the obnoxious, redundant, and plain old rude way that questions are asked. If you have a point to prove about prices, Son of Beast, or personal complaints, do them here where they can be sorted out - don't bring them directly to the park and muss up one of the most generous and inviting things they've done in years.

Well said.

Notably, Kings Island has not yet posted a note for Wednesday's 5@5 as they typically do as soon as they've finished answering the days questions. Whether they end up doing so or not, I hope this is sort of a wake up to people. Even when protected by a computer screen, common manners & decency are still required.

Sad to see that someone has to use 5@5 for that. I was surprised that they even answered my question yesterday, and while it wasn't the answer I (or anyone else) was looking for, I just accepted it and moved on. No need to get nasty about it. Hopefully the questions will improve for tomorrow.

I agree goodyellowkorn, well said! smile.gif

And my 2 cents for anyone who cares…I think of the 5@5 as light-hearted fun…not a hard-hitting news outlet. (Which is the way I like it.) I think there is a time and a place for everything…and as whoever it is answering the "questions" said; "Not okay to do it this way"…I agree completely.

For what it's worth I am sorry that that question ruined your day.

I think that this is a good learning opportunity (or reminder) for many (and I'll include myself as well). Communication has become so easy and impersonal in today's world, with texting, tweeting, email, message boards, instant chat, status updates, etc... that it is easy to forget that it should be handled in a respectful and thoughtful fashion. This is especially true when interacting in a professional setting - which any communication with a business should be considered.

While it seems clear that the line was crossed with this question, there have been other questions that approached it in my opinion. There are no official rules of etiquette when it comes to electronic communication (is something ok to say on KIC but not on the 5@5? I'd suggest yes), but it is always a good idea to stop and think before you hit send, post, or enter.

I hope the original poster of the question reads the response, learns from it, and finds a way to apologize.

While it seems clear that the line was crossed with this question, there have been other questions that approached it in my opinion. There are no official rules of etiquette when it comes to electronic communication (is something ok to say on KIC but not on the 5@5? I'd suggest yes), but it is always a good idea to stop and think before you hit send, post, or enter.

People at the park do get upset about things that are posted on here from time to time, but you have to look at what you're dealing with. These people put in countless hours, either behind a desk or out in the hot sun, to try to bring everyone the best experience possible. Then in return you get some anonymous kid on a message board ripping everything apart. Sometimes it feels like everyone's a critic.

Let's take Ride Warrior's Weekend, for example. Having done two KIC Days, an offseason event and a conjoined event with GOCC, I can tell you that from my outsider's perspective alone that planning these events goes from fun to stressful in the blink of an eye. It's fun to conceptualize, but working out the logistics alone is enough stress for an early grave. So Kings Island announces in January that they're doing RWW. They've already clearly spent hours hammering out the tough questions: Can we do this? How can we do this? How can this be fun for everyone? How can we make this special? They announced it about five months before the actual event and they were already being bashed on a major coaster site saying that the event was clearly poorly planned because they hadn't announced the ERT schedule yet. I mean, really? That was one of the few times when I truly did feel bad for the Kings Island folks.

You can take or leave the benefits you get from being a member of KIC, ACE, GOCC, Coasterbuzz, Coaster Zombies, TPR or any other group but you have to realize that the park doesn't have to (and maybe even perhaps shouldn't) do ANYTHING out of the ordinary for these groups. Same really goes to for the 5@5. Let's not kid ourselves, most questions are asked by members of one or more of the groups mentioned above. If you're reading this forum, more than likely the 5@5 is designed with you in mind.

If I had to feel sorry for one group in the whole "let's bash everything" genre that seems to be running ramped amongst the enthusiast community, I'd have to say it's the people doing the bashing. That's not a typo. Regardless of whether or not I (or you) agree or disagree with what they have to say, these people go to the park looking for reasons to complain. I don't see how someone could be a happy person doing this, and I especially don't see how someone could have a good time at the park with this mentality. I spend more time at the park than I'd care to admit, and of course I've had good experiences and bad but when I'm a crusty old curmudgeon, I'm not going to look back and remember the time I got bad service at a lemonade stand, I'm going to remember the great times I had with all my friends there.

Guest IceCream329

I totally agree with you, and to be honest I spend most of my time at that park, lets take Saturday for example I was there from 7:30AM to 10PM.....so yeah I spend most of my life at that place, which btw I really do enjoy but being there that much you would think I would almost notice everything, well I do, and lets me tell you from spending 16 hours there most days that overall the park is great and really yeah there are things to complain about but most won't notice that a screw in the wood on DB is a little off center, or that a piece of trash is on the ground or the music isn't what you like( I hear Hannah Montana all day, 10 songs of her straight), but really in my opinion the park is doing a fantastic job, and please folks lets realize that Kings Island is there only for the reason of the guests, nothing else, its about you, do you really think the park would do thing to make you upset, they must do things for the common interest not just for you, and we do strive to make every guest happy but sometimes it isn't going to happen.

People at the park do get upset about things that are posted on here from time to time, but you have to look at what you're dealing with. These people put in countless hours, either behind a desk or out in the hot sun, to try to bring everyone the best experience possible. Then in return you get some anonymous kid on a message board ripping everything apart. Sometimes it feels like everyone's a critic.

Just to ensure that there is no mistaking the original intent of my statement that Ryan quoted.

- I completely understand the frustration that the question caused and have no problem with KI's response in the 5@5 today

- In some ways, I'm surprised it took this long for a "wake-up call" response as some prior questions have pushed the limits in my opinion

- I also noted that I think there is a difference in what could be said on KIC versus what could be said on the 5@5. I believe this is different because one is more of an official interaction with person/business while the other is an informal interaction with other fans on a fansite

- In either case the "think-first" advice stands

As for people at the park getting upset about things posted on these forums - this doesn't surprise me. It can't be easy to see your ideas and plans critiqued publicly, let alone by people who may or may not understand the business, and often long before any real details exist. It's a little bit of a Catch-22 for the park - they love to have us at times (we can be good ambassadors for and customers of the park) and hate us at times (we can be overly critical and complain a lot).

I can only hope that they also are very happy about some of the things posted here from time to time also. There are many more positive Trip Reports than negative ones, there have been lots of kudos to the park regarding changes (Diamondback last year, Planet Snoopy and Boo Blasters this year), and there are lots of meet-ups scheduled.

and please folks lets realize that Kings Island is there only for the reason of the guests, nothing else, its about you

Just to note, Kings Island is a business - it's goal is to make money. Attracting guests and keeping them happy/spending is how they make money, so yes it is about the guests, but its definitely not the only thing.

I'd also note that for many of us fans, Kings Island is a special place that holds great family memories. When we are critical of the park, it often comes from a love of the park and a desire to see the park succeed and be around and as special in another 30+ years, so that we can build further special memories with our kids and/or grand-kids.

IMO, I really can't understand why people, mainly teenagers, have to bring in a backpack inside the park to begin with.

Raising the cost of a locker not only can limit a person's spending in the park for items won/ purchased, it can also limit the possibility of people bringing in unnecessary items into the park.

The part I don't understand is why answer the question at all? I would be shocked to learn that KI does not receive "hate mail" in the form of criticism over Son of Beast, The Crypt, Planet Snoopy, or whatever. All it takes is some 11 year old fanboy to send an email telling them how much thing X sucks for reason Y. I guess this particular email pushed the wrong buttons in the form of bringing up the admissions tax situation.

In no way do I condone this sort of behavior at all, I just don't see how in the age we live in you can stop a small group of jerks from ruining a good thing. Unless, they can be ignored or banned in some way from having a voice. What's to stop a disgruntled employee from sending the same sort of offensive email?

This message was not sent in the form of an email like it should have been. Instead it was in public and did cross the line. Any pr person would of reacted the same way in this situation, i bet. The park has all rights to answer all or none questions at any time. We should be thankful, but yet we act this way and basically spit in their face instead of being thankful for their extra work.

IMO, I really can't understand why people, mainly teenagers, have to bring in a backpack inside the park to begin with.

Raising the cost of a locker not only can limit a person's spending in the park for items won/ purchased, it can also limit the possibility of people bringing in unnecessary items into the park.

But isn't that what the metal detectors and security employees outside the Front Gate are for?

But isn't that what the metal detectors and security employees outside the Front Gate are for?

I don't necessarily mean illegal items, just unnecessary items (i.e. I-pods, laptops, truckload of clothing etc.)

The part I don't understand is why answer the question at all? I would be shocked to learn that KI does not receive "hate mail" in the form of criticism over Son of Beast, The Crypt, Planet Snoopy, or whatever. All it takes is some 11 year old fanboy to send an email telling them how much thing X sucks for reason Y. I guess this particular email pushed the wrong buttons in the form of bringing up the admissions tax situation.

In no way do I condone this sort of behavior at all, I just don't see how in the age we live in you can stop a small group of jerks from ruining a good thing. Unless, they can be ignored or banned in some way from having a voice. What's to stop a disgruntled employee from sending the same sort of offensive email?

Well, you know what they say... if one bad apple in the class screws up, the rest have to suffer.

I'll usually bring in a drawstring bag. I always bring sunscreen with me, and I wear layers because as we all know, Ohio weather varies during the day. If I need to take a layer off, I just throw it in the bag.

Also, not all girls' clothes (shorts, for example) have roomy cargo pockets. Guys have it easy.. your shorts come available with cargo pockets big enough to store a mini laptop. If it's 90 degrees, I'm going to wear short shorts and a tank top, with my sunscreen in my bag that I can reapply so I don't get burnt, and deodorant just in case I start to smell funky. I also always carry a little hoodie just in case the temperature drops at night.. I'm a female with a small build and I get cold easily. The bag also eliminates the problem of loose articles flying out of an unsecured pocket.

When I get to the metal detectors, if I have a bag, I always open it up for them and will gladly show them what is in my bag if they ask.

There are times when I've just gone in with my car keys and season pass. It varies depending on what time of day I go (sometimes I drive down after work and don't get down to KI until around 4:30 pm) and what the weather is like.

I generally do have a small bag for a few items and the souvenir mug as do many others. I understand going in that on some rides I have to pay for it to be held and I have no problem with that. Is the increase going to be the end of my world? no. I usually just take my pocket change from the week for this anyway. I do hope with the increase that they are able to better maintain the lockers. I know sometimes it can be a challenge to find an empty working one at FH / FoF.

One word... Parents.