Kings Island's 5@5 Q&A Thread

bkroz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or, consider this: Lights throughout the forest, visible from onboard the train. Before / after Boomerang Bay is open, the train can just be a round-trip from the beautiful, twinkling forests of Kings Island, alive with music and more! To an extent, Christmastown at Busch Gardens Europe did this, by playing Christmas songs over the train speakers usually used for narration. It could easily be done on our train, and revive a somewhat... dwindling... piece of Kings Island history.

It's a shame that the train is mostly viewed as a means of transportation to Boomerang Bay - it used to be a standalone attraction, and a good one at that! Having a Starlight Experience in the woods would revive the train, and its very high occupancy would be a great way to display it in when, anywhere else, it might be an unwanted eyesore during the day.

I personally would want it there or in the Tower Gardens / former Paramount Story. Kings Island is different than Cedar Point, and I can't think of a good place for it to be now that Rivertown isn't as highly shaded as Frontier Trail at Cedar Point... Rivertown is still the most densely foliated, but there would be long strings of lights clearly visible strung up all throughout the day - at Cedar Point, they at least can blend into the tree and canopies during the day.

That's because that is unfortunately what they turned it into. I don't go to boomerang bay, but I usually ride the train when I go, but ever since Boomerang Bay, it's only a shell of it's former self, what little decor they have is in bad shape, and there is not much there, not to mention having to sit and wait at the depot for the water park. I had hoped Cedar Fair would revamp the train, as popular as the ride is at Cedar Point, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen

Woo-hoo! New counter tops! (Although, a few years ago they would have been the "most fantabulous, Hollywood-ized, incredible counter tops ever experienced on Earth!" And, surrounded by lush, tropical vegetation too I bet...) ;)

But seriously...could the SDATHC re-theme not being Peanuts have more to do with Sally Rides than CF? Since the Scooby Doo theming was actually thru Sally instead of the parks, maybe the reason for the generic theming is because Sally doesn't have the same access to the Peanuts licensing? I have no idea how all the agreements for that intellectual property were written, but just thinking out loud I guess...

I'd be good with the "Starlight Experience" coming to KI. Before actually seeing it at CP I was pretty critical of the idea ("oh great, they put out some Xmas lights and called it a new attraction"), but I was very pleasantly surprised by the actual experience. It just goes to show you that sometimes the simple things can have an impressive result, and that you shouldn't judge something before you actually experience it. (So, I'm keeping my mind open about these new counters... :) )

which now has me wandering about the stunt grill/slaughterhouse.

You know if you really think about this, it makes you wonder. Do you really want to eat at Stunt Crew Grill after the horrendous smell and all the live animals that were once in there? :wacko:

Actually the animals were never in the restaurant, nor was the attraction, it just went through the patios and never into the location.

Starlight was a very neat attraction and was well worth a walk through. We were trying to marathon all the major rides in an hour and we were walking briskly to each one and when we went from Millennium to Maverick, we just had to slow down and take in the sights. Truly amazing.

As for the train, I rode it last season quite a few times because I find the train rides relaxing and you get to see many things that the general public who don't ride do not get too. I think having some sort of variation of Starlight Experience on that would not only revamp it, but also make it on occasions have a line worth waiting for. At least until Halloween comes around, then it is back to Tombstone Terror-tory.

If it did end up along the woods that the train runs through(which I think is funny that everyone is jumping on the idea of it running along the train because 1 person made an error and typed Express instead of Experience :lol: ) I would hope the park would be able to hide any extension cords used for the light show enough to where you wouldn't notice them while riding the train in the day.

which now has me wandering about the stunt grill/slaughterhouse.

You know if you really think about this, it makes you wonder. Do you really want to eat at Stunt Crew Grill after the horrendous smell and all the live animals that were once in there? wacko.gif

Actually the animals were never in the restaurant, nor was the attraction, it just went through the patios and never into the location.

That's true, plus the animals were not at Slaughter House for very long. They were removed before the attraction ever opened to the public. The smell eventually dissipated, and was hardly evident by the end of Haunt. Plus with the tearing down of the walls where the animals were, there you go... no more smell! wink.gif

-Sam the Butcher

It looks good blue. I think the answer to my 5@5 question (I asked about Flight Deck paint job) will be "No because we are painting a ride that doesn't need it too bad, and were painting Reptar." Although yes Reptar really needed to be repainted, It could of gone without it if that means TG would get one. And Beastie doesn't even need it too bad since it's actually pretty hidden.

You have questions. We have answers.

Submit your question in the box below.

Five burning questions will be extinguished each day at 5pm!

Q: Ray Osburn - Will the all you can drink bands return this year for season passholders.

A: Drink wristbands are not on the intiial list of Gold pass perks for 2010, but a lot of new perks have been added such as more discounts on meals at locations such as LaRosa's, Subway, Rivertown Junction, Backyard BBQ, Funnel Cake, Cinnabon and Breakfast with the Characters. Daily early rides on The Beast and Diamondback will begin April 30, along with select days for rides and attractions in Planet Snoopy and Boomerang Bay. There's also a 15 percent discount available for Gold passholders at Great Wolf Lodge.

---------------------------

Q: Adam Woltermann - Will we find out if Son of Beast will open before or after April.

A: Adam, as we mentioned yesterday, no decision has been made concerning the ride.

Q: Kyle Joyce - Are there any plans for Action Theater in 2010 such as a new film since, obviously, SpongebBob 3D will not be shown anymore.

A: We've narrowed it down to a couple of options. We should know soon.

Q: Rain Blanken - Are there any special events planned for the 2010 season.

A: Let me check our website .... yep. Some of the scheduled events include JoyFest, Spirit Song, Boy Scout Camp-O-Ree, Run Kings Island (this is a race, not your opportunity to run the park), and a career day.

Q: Eric Skinner - When will some of the current rides be getting a touch up, such as Flight Deck. That ride REALLY needs a paint job and there are many many people who are curious when that will happen.

A: Some of the current rides will be getting a touch up this year, including all of the rides in Planet Snoopy, but Flight Deck is not of the list for a paint job this year. It goes in a rotation. You might have noticed that Vortex was painted last year. In time it will just not this year.

About my Action Theater question, Hopefully by "we've narrowed down some options" doesn't mean one of the narrowed down options is to keep it closed. I now have to think like this after hearing "RWW details will be here soon!" Then a month later we find out there is no RWW, which isn't THAT big of a deal because there will be other events, but you just have to think of all possibilities when the park says something.

Rotation... I think Flight Deck might have been skipped a couple times. I am glad all the Planet Snoopy rides are getting new paint though. I think when rides get painted it really shows the parks pride.

In all fairness, painting a steel roller coaster costs a lot of nickels. Of course, that statement isn't being fair either...repainting a steel roller coaster is a fairly large investment. One which would not pay off immediately for a ride in the location of Flight Deck. From the midway in AZ, it still just looks gray. From Kings Island Dr. the ride also still looks gray. Not until you are in the queue line does the wear of the ride really show! It's just not one of those high "Return on Investment (ROI)" activities!

...except, except, except. Paint has more than one purpose. It is not just decorative. It is also preservative and preventative, protecting the metal thereunder from its mortal enemy, rust. Not painting Flight Deck may save nickels now, but cost far more than that in the future, if it is intended for the ride to survive for many decades into the future, as opposed to many months...or less.