Boo Blasters On Boo Hill

KIMonster14

No, I liked the video that Sally has up. Where did you get wallpaper out of my post?

EDIT: Oh, I see. I was refering to the post above. Sorry for being so rude... 13 has mad a mistake...

No worries! It all makes sense now...

And +1 for liking BBoBH better than SDatHC, what we've seen at least. It looks like the park has done a solid job.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting to see how they worked out the finale scene.

AHOY! SPOILERS AHEAD! On the Ghost Blasters & the other Boo Blasters, you enter a long, dark hallway painted as a forest with tangled vines and demonic faces. Boocifer stands at the end taunting you. Then, as you near him, he shrieks, fog blasts out of the pipe in front of him, and he sinks into the ground. Then, bright "sunlight" comes on, cancelling out the blacklight effects and displaying a beautiful charming forest, and that the place where he stood was a wishing well. You can see that

around the 1:30 mark.

Of course, the Ghost Blasters & the other Boo Blasters have different ride systems from ours. It's much more along the line of a typical haunted house where one cart enters a room at a time. But we have the Omnimover system where multiple cars are looking at the same scene at any given time, so if Boocifer was positioned in the well at the end of the long hallway, he would have to reset every 6 seconds or so... That would also make it nearly impossible to have the blacklight -> daylight effect work properly as they'd be flipping on and off very quickly and you would see the effect before you're intended to.

It looks, from the video Kings Island provided, as if they've remedied this problem by not having Boocifer at the end of a long hallway, but stationed in the center of a long wall on the side so that two or three vehicles can be pointed at him at a time without blocking anyone's view. Still, what this means for the blacklight -> daylight effect, I don't know. Perhaps that will be in the next room? We shall see very shortly! You can see that at 1:12 in

video. Notably, it looks like there's a chance that ours doesn't have the steam effects & Boocifer doesn't lower into the ground. Makes sense because of the short reset time, but it would've been nice!

Also, you'll notice between the videos that we do seem to be getting the Ghost Blasters laser-shooting noise... It sort of sounds like metallic dripping water. Very nice, especially compared to BYEW, BYEW BYEW, BYEW!

[/spoilerS]

Still, this ride will easily be the highlight of my Kings Island trips this summer. A great new addition!

The video looks great! It looks like the lighting is much better controlled this time around. That was one of my biggest complaints about SDatHC, most of the scenes were much too "hot." The UV effect only works if your black level stays true black, and there was way too much ambient light in SDatHC to make that possible. The load area was actually probably the best lighting job in the ride.

^^^

It appears our ride might have received a playhouse finale, instead of a dark forest. (Greek comedy masks on the wall?) Methinks Cedar Fair took a general description from Sally Corp, instead of writing their own.

It appears that KI's management has gotten much better listening to the customer, all over the last year. How about a short list...

1.) 5@5

2.) Talks to improve the train

3.) New Boo Basters finale (Boocifer looks and moves very similar to the maestro in PT's finale...)

4.) An actual good job on the Planet Snoopy retheme

5.) Talks about a new restaurant (Probably been for a few years)

6.) More surprises this coming season?

Yeah, those same faces are present at the finale of Ghost Blasters before the forest becomes beautiful again. Video

, around 1:30). But there's no denying that time & money went into this ride. Though it was outsourced, and someone else came up with the story / effects, that's alright. My complaint was never that Cedar Fair didn't do it themselves - just that it was never done at all. Clearly that's changed for this ride, at least.

Guest rcfreak339

It looks like they did a amazing job, I need to check this out. I really do like the theme, looks a ton better then SDHC in my opinion.

I wish Scooby Doo was just like this, but with Scooby Doo characters throughout. Because as far as being a draw, anything named Scooby Doo is going to stomp all over anything named Boo Blasters on Boo Hill. And it would be incredible to have BBoBH's ride mixed with a Scooby Doo style story. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

I actually got to take a sneak preview of Boo Blasters on Boo Hill today.

Here's the lowdown:

The first half is very similar to Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle, sans the characters. They actually did a fantastic job of livening it up, giving it a touch of paint and replacing the old characters with scarier characters.

Then the second half.

All hell breaks loose.

I'm not going to spoil any of it for you, but let's just say that it's something that Kings Island can be very proud of. I'm talking special effects, in-your-face scenes, and the realistic animatronics.

Oh, and the blasters work much better now too. I could hit targets that were really far away. I guess they gave it a MAJOR rehab.

Can't wait to hear what you guys think after riding it this Saturday!!!

The Carowinds and Kings Dominion versions may be slightly smaller but it is really hard to tell. One thing is for certain though, and that is that Kings Island`s ride gets better capacity. That is because the Kings Dominion and Carowinds versions utilize individual cars that seat four people. As such, the cars are stationary when guests board and unload, and navigate the ride much like a roller coaster with only one ride vehicle per block section. By comparison, Kings Island offers a continuous flow of cars that never come to a complete stop, even during loading and unloading (during normal operating conditions). While the increased capacity is nice, the Carowinds version with individual cars provides some nice effects. Primarily when the cars "crash through" doors into the next scene. Additionally, the Carowinds ride feels more exciting in a way because you seldom see another car, which is not the case on Kings Island`s ride.

The difference in ride vehicle between Kings Dominion and Carowinds vehicles and Kings Island`s ride vehicles is a result of the original transformation from Phantom Theater. When the ride was transformed from Phantom Theater, Sally simply utilized the existing people mover system that Morgan Manufacturing had installed for that ride. They retrofitted the cars with the ghost blasters and every other car was removed to allow more space between cars.

SPOILERS!

Check out at about :45 and onward - that's the effect shown briefly in the news story.

Also, just re-watching that video and going back to the photo album on Kings Island's Facebook, I believe I understand how the "evil forest transformation" will work. After the final showdown with Boocifer on Ghost Blasters, the forest changes, then you enter a room that's black except for the "score board."

However, in ours, you can see that the transformation would be odd to do right there with so many cars able to see it happening before they're meant to, and it appears that we do not have a black room with a scoreboard. Rather, our scoreboard room is the "happy forest," separate from the Boocifer showdown. HOPEFULLY there's still a "transformation" of the blacklights turning off and thus you can physically see the evil-ness disappear. If not, it's cool. I'm sure this will be incredible.

24192_426649578367_155893938367_5267770_6850277_n.jpg

I just really hope that Boo Blasters doesn't suffer the same fate that The Crypt did where it's, in a sense, dumbed down to the point of it being extremely tame and almost un-rideable partway into the season.

Other than that, looks to be an awesome experience worth waiting in line for. I can clearly see where those extra paint-strokes are to enhance that 3D effect they're going for, though. Might as well find my FearFest glasses lying around here someplace or go to Blockbuster and get a pair for fifteen cents.

I just really hope that Boo Blasters doesn't suffer the same fate that The Crypt did where it's, in a sense, dumbed down to the point of it being extremely tame and almost un-rideable partway into the season.

That's a very different situation. Recall that, in its last year as Tomb Raider, that particular ride was really on it's last-leg theme-wise. We revere it now as the ultimate themed ride at the park, but truth be told, in 2005 and 2006, when the ride did operate (not often) it usually had no music, was essentially in pitch black darkness by the end of the seasons, and had no preshow. We always think fondly of it and imagine it as being so great and wow! there was a preshow and music and water! We always forget that all of those were discontinued after a few seasons.

The Crypt's current state was brought on by having much of Tomb Raider's effects die even before the name change, then the necessity of removing the music & movie props, and the ride being too intense and needing to be reduced in order to function at all.

There's not much that can go wrong with the Boo Blasters change, unless they decide to start turning lights off, slowing the ride to half its original speed, and removing sound effects & moving parts. With The Crypt, it was inevitable. With Boo Blasters, it's not.

...There's not much that can go wrong with the Boo Blasters change, unless they decide to start turning lights off, slowing the ride to half its original speed, and removing sound effects & moving parts.

(emphasis added)

Uh, the ride last year was not running at its original speed. In fact, every other car was removed when it was changed from Phantom Theater, and the then owners of the park claim that capacity was not affected. It would thus appear that the ride as Scooby ran at twice its original speed. It thus appears that if it were at some point reduced to half its original speed, it would only go 25 percent as fast as it did last year. This would make some very happy, as target time would be greatly increased. So, however, would the line, as capacity would be greatly reduced.

Also, do not forget, changes in rides occur not just because of active changes, but because of neglect or lack of maintenance. Lights may not work not because they were removed, but because either they were not replaced when they burned out or because of wiring problems, etc. Moving parts require maintenance. Things break. Tech services is then needed...which must have the budget, the ability and the inclination to do its thing. Frequently, under Paramount AND Cedar Fair, one or more of these things are missing.

Here's the lowdown:

The first half is very similar to Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle, sans the characters. They actually did a fantastic job of livening it up, giving it a touch of paint and replacing the old characters with scarier characters.

Then the second half.

All hell breaks loose.

I'm not going to spoil any of it for you, but let's just say that it's something that Kings Island can be very proud of. I'm talking special effects, in-your-face scenes, and the realistic animatronics.

Oh, and the blasters work much better now too. I could hit targets that were really far away. I guess they gave it a MAJOR rehab.

Ryan, Do they make it so you can see the lasers? or is just luck of the draw? lol

Here's the lowdown:

Then the second half.

All hell breaks loose.

Has the indoor section of the queue been updated at all? Any character or anything put in the Maestro's box?