Red Racer problems

dakota2112

What's going on with the Red Racer? I've been to the park three times this season and the Red Racer has been closed every time.

In years past, it was common for the Blue Racer to be closed when the park was not crowded. But I've never seen the Red Racer closed like that. So I asked the Blue-side ride op and she said they've been having "difficulties" with it and that it might be closed for the whole month.

Just curious what's up? :(

Let's hope! Be comforted by the fact that, in 5@5 a few days ago, we were assured that there will be a larger emphasis on racing this year. Makes sense, considering it's a racing coaster. I have never seen Dueling Dragons not duel. Not once. When one train is ready, they send it out of the station, and the chain just goes slowly until the other catches up. Of course, that's a much more complicated and advanced system.

In that same 5@5 answer, they said that they don't often race because "when one train is ready, why make it wait for the other train?" But the fact of the matter is, I don't think most people would mind waiting an extra 30 seconds for the other train to be ready to launch if it means they could race. That's sort of the whole point... Sort of.

I have started to notice the same thing, the last couple of times I have been to the park the Red Racer is not running. This can sometimes make the wait for the Blue side agonizingly long. I have not seen the two coasters race in quite some time either, therefore I know call it The One Car Street Race. I did get to ride the Blue side for the first time this season on Saturday and it surprisingly gave me a smooth ride with plentiful airtime. I am looking forward to the day it opens both sides and starts to race again.

In a perfect world (well, mine anyways) The Racer would undergo an enormous rehab, be butter smooth, be strikingly white with red handrails, have one side run backwards and always race. Keep dreaming, right?

Race or no race, it's a great coaster and possibly my overall favorite at the park. It seems like the red side is a tad faster (it almost always wins, at least based on my experience) but I will say the blue side felt pretty fast this weekend as well. I can see where the off-season track work was done on both sides. Long live The Racer! B)

This is a little off topic, but I think they should have painted the ride and improved on the look of it. The turnaround when the train leaves the station is terrible looking.

That being said, the track work improved the Blue Side (not sure about Red) My front seat ride was the best ride I've had on it in a LONG time. A lot of airtime and SMOOTH as glass. The ride experience is good, but it could defiantly use some improvements on the look.

I would guess they are just trying to even out the trips between the red and blue. I remember most of last year when only one side was in operation, it was the red racer.

I was thinking the same thing myself, go back and fourth each year being the "Dominate" side to even out coaster wear and tare!

Racing is fun, if both sides are ready to go at the same time. But I don't like having to sit there waiting. I'd rather just go if the other side isn't ready.

And I too miss the red side running backwards. It's only been a few years I guess but it sure seems like forever.

Last year at the Island, I asked the ride-ops for a true race, since that is the name of the ride. They both agreed and off we went. I remember back in the day when The Racers were the big coaster attraction and the raced all the time. I miss those days.

I don't think that you should have to ask. It's called The Racer, it should race. End of story. It's a shame that it took you asking for it before the ride ops said okay. I LOVE going up the lift side by side, and then plummeting down together, with one train trying to catch up to the other. But in recent years, more often than not, you go up the lift hill next to an empty track. What a shame...

I do agree that many people do want to get on the ride as fast as they can. That being said, I think racing is important to more guests than you may think.

As a small child, I remember imagining The Racer as being a real car race, looking at the other car with great determination to win, and great excitement when we're passing the finish line. My parents would have to wake me up from my imaginative 'daze' after the ride was over.

As a teenager, my friends and I bet quarters on who will win the race. I cannot recall having been to Kings Island on a day when the cars were not racing, but I'm sure some of my friends would be very disappointed, one of them going as far as not wanting to ride for the rest of the day. Others could care less. (Or, care more. smile.gif)

I'm sure racing is very important to at least 10% of the park guests... I'm also sure certain ages generally care about the racing part more than others do. (Wether they realize it or not.)

That being said, I think racing is important to more guests than you may think.

I agree. I can't count the amount of times I have heard guests (including the people who visit the park with me) comment that, "If they aren't going to race it, they shouldn't call it The Racer."

And they're right.

I would rather have one or two rides in a superior seat than 1000 rides in a less than superior seat. Which explains why in days of old, I'd go to Stark Raven Mad with others, who would get in over 100 rides on Raven, whilst I had got perhaps a dozen or so very superior rides in seats/rows I found to be well worth the wait.

On Racer, I prefer 1-1, 1-3 and 5-1, 5-2 or even 5-3. I'd wait whatever it takes to ride in one of these rows. I'd not jump in an empty car in the back row of cars 2, 3 or 4. In fact, I doubt I have ridden cars 2, 3 and 4 a total of 100 times in my life, most of those being before I decided a superior ride beats out 100 rides in other seats. Your mileage, and opinion, may differ. And that's fine.

On Vortex, I wait for 5-1 or 1-1. I am not particularly interested in rides in the back car, no matter how short the line there may be....I am even less interested in rides in cars 2, 3, 4 and 6. And that's the way I roll.

Terpy, why do you prefer 5-1 to 7-1 on Vortex?

Mr. Ron Toomer has himself personally told me that that this is the seat around which he designed his ride. In that seat, you will find maximum hang time (which I love) and minimal head banging (which I detest). I love that seat. I am also a sucker for the front seat...for the view and the ride.

For many, many years I let friends drag me back to 7-1, which they greatly preferred (and these were largely the same people who insisted on riding the front seat of the back car on Top Gun). I find I much prefer 5-1 on Vortex and 1-1 on Flight Deck. For me, life is too short to spend it getting a great quantity of rides in seats I'd really rather not ride compared to others.

Perhaps the greatest difference I have seen between seats/rows is on Maverick. There, in 1-1, I find my favorite steel coaster. In other seats, I'd prefer the bench out in front of the ride, thanks! :)

And on Kingda Ka, I find the front rows of cars a delight. The back rows? Well, let's just say you will find no Terpies there...

I certainly would prefer The Racer to race, but can see the argument for not holding up a train if one side is ready to go well before the other. Still, it's always a treat when the trains are ready for departure at about the same time and you can race against your fellow park goers. I enjoy the rare occasion where the two trains will head up the lift hill, side by side, while guests exchange some clean, fun, good-natured trash-talking.

As for specific seats on specific rides... I need to give 5-1 on Vortex a chance. Truth be told, I haven't ridden Vortex since my first visit of last season specifically because of the jarring, violent nature of the ride. Sounds like 5-1 could be a remedy.

And, relating to Flight Deck, I have to agree 100% with Terpy. 1-1 is absolutely the best seat on that coaster. I was amazed how much better it was than any other seat one could choose on this hidden gem. I know a lot of people march straight for the back of the train, and to each his/her own, but I'll gladly stroll down the queue, humming songs from Top Gun, while heading right for the front row.