Running when park opens?

MagnumFan

Sorry to pile on, but dude...

1. You should have known better without being told

2. You should have listened when you were told

3. You ignored security twice.

Sorry, but it sounds like you deserved a dressing down. Not to the extent that you described maybe, but then I have a hard time taking you at your word when your own description (which should in theory paint you in the best possible light) shows you to be in the wrong.

You should wear a bathing suit and smoke a cigarette on your way back to Diamondback next time. Because I've seen security walk past dozens of people in the last 3 years and not do a thing about it. I'm sure you could run all you like if you give KI an extra $50. Rules don't apply to people who have money. lol

First of all, I was not told TWICE by security not to run. Only once, and I could not hear him (honestly) at all, over the music. But admittedly I figured he was saying "walk".

Secondly, I have young children myself, and would never do anything to endanger myself, and especially not other children. Where you guys get some of these fanatical assumptions is beyond me.

Third, the security guard at the platinum/gold gate did in fact tell me it was ok to run and "get my exercise". There was a couple minute long conversation there that I omitted, to shorten what was already becoming a lengthy post. You will all have to just take my word for it (or not. I really don't care at this point).

Now, having said all that, allow me to demonstrate my maturity and offer a mea culpa. I shouldn't have been so enraged over the fact that I was stopped after not listening to security. That was wrong. My anger towards the cop was probably also excessive, though I did not show it to him personally (only here in this post). I made a couple childish remarks in the OP. I'm an adult, and I'm not too proud that I can't admit when I'm wrong.

What I still firmly believe, however, is the conflicting "rules" situation needs to be addressed. On that point I will not budge.

Brownttgr, I think your responses are a little over the top. I find it highly hypocritical you are acting like the rules police, yet in your own signature it states "KI fan since 1979 when mom & dad put paper towels in my shoes to get me on Beast!". If that's not a safety issue, I don't know what is.

At the risk of beating a dead horse I'll stop here. Can't we all get along?

• Like 1

I'm sure you could run all you like if you give KI an extra $50. Rules don't apply to people who have money. lol

Can you show me anywhere that if you pay an extra $50 to Kings Island you get to break park rules.

... he did say it in the OP.

Dang!!! Don't you hate it when you think you have a good point to make, only to have it wiped out by not rereading more carefully! Run, mildly jog, gallop, trot, whatever. I still stand by my point that it seems security feels it's best for grown men to not move really swiftly through crowds of people.

I'm sure you could run all you like if you give KI an extra $50. Rules don't apply to people who have money. lol

Can you show me anywhere that if you pay an extra $50 to Kings Island you get to break park rules.

You just opened a can of worms I hope a few don't happen to notice, or this topic will go a completely different direction.

Well good....let them point out to us where Kings Island legitimately offers guests a way to break the park rules if they pay $50 or if they have money. I hope they do not try going with the class war war thing again as that is getting really old. One member here on KIC saved a few bucks from his pay check a couple weeks ago to try the Fast Lane for himself. I do not remember him saying he had lots of money or that he got to break park rules. So please tell us where and what rule is allowed to be broken for $50.00 or if one has money.

I'll be honest I've ran once or twice before at Kings Island. But when I was told to stop I stopped and now I understand how dangerous running really is. You were told once (or maybe twice) to stop and you didn't that's the issue. True, the guard could have handled it better but I understand his point.

P.S. I liked your video browntggrr. :)

One other thing. While at the park this weekend I did see something (and I can't remember where) in regards to the Fast Lane pass, that said basically buy the wristband, then RACE to your favorite rides. I really wish I could remember where I saw that, because it completely validates my point about the conflicting rules/instructions.

Dang!!! Don't you hate it when you think you have a good point to make, only to have it wiped out by not rereading more carefully! Run, mildly jog, gallop, trot, whatever. I still stand by my point that it seems security feels it's best for grown men to not move really swiftly through crowds of people.

See? We all make mistakes! ;)

Just to be clear, I was not running through crowds of people. Remember in the OP I stated, I was the first one at the ticket gate, and first one at the platinum/gold archway. Therefore, the first one jogging ahead. Which is probably why I got busted. It was actually kind of nice jogging through an empty park with nobody in sight.

I would never run through a crowd, dodging and weaving. I did enough of that during my marathon running days (20's) and a badly sprained ankle taught me that lesson.

Ok, I'm really confused, first you say that you were running with a large group of people, who half of them couldn't have heard the guard say stop over loud music, and now you are saying you were out in front of everyone with no one around you with no one in sight. Which one is it?

Ok, I'm really confused, first you say that you were running with a large group of people, who half of them couldn't have heard the guard say stop over loud music, and now you are saying you were out in front of everyone with no one around you with no one in sight. Which one is it?

Nobody in sight, meaning nobody in front of me. Lots of people running behind me, though they were at least 20+ feet back. Are we really going to get that nit-picky? I've already admitted the act of running was wrong, and admitted I was wrong in part of my OP as well as my attitude on the issue. I think that's pretty responsible and mature. It's not easy to admit when you're wrong (at least not for me... just ask my wife!) What more do I need to say to end the flaming?

This is probably in the top ten most ridiculous threads on here to date.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

You just opened a can of worms I hope a few don't happen to notice, or this topic will go a completely different direction.

Is THIS a good thing or a bad thing? :P

• Like 1

Titan you said you read this whole thread but you missed the point he was trying to make. As politely as I can I suggest you go back and reread his posts, I think you will be able to figure out your question to what point he was trying to make. Happy reading :)

I get the point they were trying to make. Everyone is taking this too seriously and kind of being mean about the whole thing. You all are just as much at fault than he is... lets act like 10 year olds and gang up on someone to prove they are wrong. Sounds fun to me... not, and if this topic is pointless to you don't read it.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RYLsyNBnE5M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cedar Pointer I do not get what you are saying as he said a few times in a few post that his actions was wrong and that the Security Dept apologized for the officers reaction. It seems that you are just saying the same thing he has already said.

I agree with a lot of people. I think the only necessary time to run to a ride if like on WindSeeker opening Day, you want to be the first on it, right?

When I get thee at 9:30, I usually just walk a little faster than I usually do. I mean, it isn't running worth you will still get in at least 2 rides if not more.

However after the star spangled banner is finished playing at the rope under the Diamondback drop, the officers let the people run to whatever and doesn't say anything. The only time I ran to a ride was Opening Day, and a lot of people did. I wanted to be first. Other that opening day for something, I think you should slow down. I do admin to running on WindSeeker Opening Day, but twords the Coney Mall area, I was told to stop and I did. The officer said it very politely, so I did.

What if the person was deaf? Would they deserve to be treated in this manner?

Both parties are at fault here. First off, this is what fast pass, ert and all that other crap encourages. Another issue is the lack of communication in the chain. One guard makes it a game, the next acts like robo cop and makes a mountain out of a molehill. Breaking the rule or not, the guard should not have reacted in that manner-there are some that simply can't handle the responsibility and authority bested on them, and this sounds like that type of incident. I would have to admit if a guard yelled at me to stop in certain areas of the park, I wouldn't hear either with the amount of noise and the volume of the music.

I have had the public call me every vile word you can think of, had one guest that threw his cigarette at my chest when i told him to put it out, another took his belt off and flung it around to where it almost grazed my cheek. I have also had one stare me down and extinguish his cigarette in his hand and dare me to say anything. Another was in a bad mood and just basically ran into me because he was determined to walk out the wrong way and booger up the line. Another father came up, got in my face and told me what I was going to do, and when, to find his daughter. After an hour of him venting, the situation calmed down. Guess what? Not once did I react and make a big issue of it. If you can't stay calm in that situation, you're in the wrong job. There's a time and a place for that-and usually a 10 minute swear fit in the admin area suffices for me.

I think sometimes my age helps....

Although it's common since to walk in a crowded area, does the parks have any signs that say no running? That would help out a lot.

• in the park map under rules & regulations
  • on almost all of there ride signs that touch on rules & regulations
  • on the big signs out in front of the metal detectors that have the scrolling marque of what rides are closed
  • any time you here security, lifeguard, ride-op, park sweep mention "WALK!"
  • & finally here http://www.visitkingsisland.com/_upload/pdf/2011/2011_Riders_Safety_Guide.pdf

I checked the map and it says nothing about walking, I didn't even see anything in the ride safety guide touching the issue. And the only signs I've seen saying walk, were in BB. I've yet to hear about this being an issue until now.

People have been running at CP for as long as I can remember-management calls it Running of the Bulls. Just a guess but I think the reason it is tolerated at CP and not at KI is the difference in the size of the midways-the midways at CP are a lot wider than those at KI and, thus, I think there are less safety issues. ( People running over others, etc.)