Madame Fatale's Cavern of Terror

coasterfanatic83

I have been through a wax museum but never a wax museum themed haunt. What do they do typically with this kind of haunt?

Take the gimmick to where someone poses like a statue then leaps out at you, and do that for about every scare in the maze, although this actually sounds more like a cross between a wax museum and a roadside tourist trap, given the description and name. Depending on how in depth the maze is with the theme, there may be a few scenes showing how wax figures are made (see the film House of Wax for a perfect example), but I really wouldn't expect much out of it. I'm hesitant on this because their track record on wowing me with their new haunts the first year out is less than pleasing (Wolf Pack, Holiday Horror, Slaughterhouse, Club Blood).

Guest TombraiderTy

If you check out the event map (linked from various different pages on the website), it lists four scare zones:

-Cemetery Drive (front of Eiffel Tower, assumedly all of International Street like it was last year)

-Freak Street (Planet Snoopy area, in spot of last year's Nightmare Alley and possibly a new name for it)

-Nightmare Alley (pathway into Action Zone from International Street, probably not the same as last year's Nightmare Alley but instead something new)

-Grimm. Blvd (Action Zone area)

I'm really glad to see the return of scare zones - they were discontinued midway through 2006 before slowly beginning to reappear last year. Hopefully the trend continues over the next few years.

• Like 3

If you check out the event map (linked from various different pages on the website), it lists four scare zones:

-Cemetery Drive (front of Eiffel Tower, assumedly all of International Street like it was last year)

-Freak Street (Planet Snoopy area, in spot of last year's Nightmare Alley and possibly a new name for it)

-Nightmare Alley (pathway into Action Zone from International Street, probably not the same as last year's Nightmare Alley but instead something new)

-Grimm. Blvd (Action Zone area)

I'm really glad to see the return of scare zones - they were discontinued midway through 2006 before slowly beginning to reappear last year. Hopefully the trend continues over the next few years.

So, whats the difference between roamers in the scare zones, and roamers everywhere else?

By past definition, a "scarezone" is a open passage that guests can meander through, but it's themed and stocked with scare actors. It's just an extra theme placed over a normal park path that you may have to use to get from point A to point B (for example, Cedar Point's Fright Zone occupies the path between Millennium Force and Maverick, while CarnEVIL once occupied the area around Disaster Transport and was recently relocated to the park's Camp Snoopy). Traffic in scarezones flows in two directions since it's just an overlay placed on a normal path.

In the past, Kings Island has had scarezones by this definition and has separately had "outdoor haunted houses," (why they made the distinction on the site, etc. I don't know...) which are exactly what they sound like - normal haunted houses (tight passages, one-way traffic flow, waiting in line to enter) that are outdoors (like CornStalkers).

The park often advertises "roaming" scareactors who are not tied to a single house or scarezone that are meant to simply meander around the park and frighten people on normal, otherwise-un-haunted pathways. In the years I've gone, I've only seen two or three (beyond the park gates, which I believe are now included in a scarezone that unofficially envelopes all of International Street?)

The Area 51 section in Action Zone never really got me. Does anyone know if they are redoing Mysteria? I didn't see it last year, and was told I was lucky.

I posted on Kings Island's Facebook saying "Why bring back Mysteria, it was terrible!" and Kings Island replied something like, "Give it a second chance this year..."

• Like 1

I thought Mysteria was cool, not necessarily scary, but it was neat! 10 times better than Death Row. I think Holiday Horror was my favorite Haunt last year. It was so good! My least favorites have been, Wolf Pack and CoRnStAlKeRs.

Madame Fatale's sounds really cool! The fact that it is called "Cavern of terror" makes me think that they will be keeping The Crypt stone walls throughout the line. I could be wrong though

• Like 2

I sure hope they keep the 2011 queue intact! Best themed Cedar Fair queue I've ever seen.

Kjkjkj, what didn't you like about Wolf Pack? The 2011 Wolf Pack was lightyears beyond the 2010 version. I was blown away, and it actually gained my favorite Haunt of the season. Cornstalkers was a pretty good Haunt in Tower Gardens, but it's nothing to rave about, either.

By the way, how do you pronounce "Fatale"?

• Like 3

I will agree that 2011 was way better than 2010, but it still just wasn't my favorite. I don't hate it, but it could be so much better if they did something like that out in the woods, instead of attempting to create lame fake woods.

Also, it is pronouced fay-tal. When you say the "tal" say it as if you were saying the name Al, but with a t sound infront of it. I think that's how it is anyway

• Like 1

I know some of you are going to rage a little when I say this, but I am an employee from Cedar Point that has moved to the Cincy area. I was a screamster for one year (2008), and ran a house for two (2009-10). I decided to take a year off before I returned to my craft.

I can tell you this, if all MVCoT is only "still life" scares I will be sorely dissapointed since they re-hired me to begin my KI scaring career there. If my understanding is correct, it is a "House of Wax" combined with "oddities." I imagine some freak-show type stuff along with your typical wax figures. Think Ripley's Believe it or Not. There is no insider info here, just insight from experience.

If I can jump on the Mysteria band-wagon, I have to say that it was a HORRIBLE experience in Mysteria, Wolf-Pack, and Club Blood last year going through the zones. Yawn-fests and lack of enthusiasm/imagination amongst the actors and/or designers. Judging from the numbers and requirements upon the "interviews", I feel that things will be better this year.