FAST PAY GOOD IDEA BY CEDAR POINT

jdf21972

Everything is about profit. There is nothing wrong with that but company's always try to maximize their profit. If you think about it, the average customer would spend more money with these brackets because they are not seeing the money disappear. It's much like a credit card.

the problem with that is that they will be preloaded, its not like you can keep building up debt.
  • Like 1

Other parks that use the system connect the bracelet to a debit or credit card and an associated pin, so it's not "pre-loaded." Others do need charged and pre-loaded to a certain amount.

Entertainment enterprises report many benefits for both the customer and the company from systems like this. For example, if I have a bracelet, I don't need to take a bulky wallet into a park and cling onto it on every ride; the bracelets are waterproof, so no need to leave someone on "valuables" duty at the waterpark or pay for a locker; and yes, it is recognized that the faster and more smoothly you can get someone to pay for something, the more they're willing to spend. Invaluable financial advice is - when you find your budgets skyrocketing - pay for everything in cash. A credit card makes it too easy to lose the connection. Pressing a bracelet to a scanner makes it even easier.

That's why companies are investing huge sums of money in adding those "swipe your phone" payment pads, even as the trend doesn't seem to be catching yet on the consumer end. Eventually, they certainly imagine, the customer base will relent and begin paying for things through their phone, and these billion dollar corporations (Starbucks, McDonalds, etc) don't make hundred-million dollar decisions without first studying the costs and risks of retrofitting their drive-thrus and checkouts with the scanners.

Just because it is preloaded, does not mean people will not continue to add more to it or add more to it at the get go. They will not have think they are really spending real money because they are not directly touching the cash to hand to the merchant. Think about how it we would apply this to our taxes when it is deducted from our paychecks. Rather than having each tax dollar deducted from our paycheck, we should write a check to the IRS in April. If we paid our taxes all at once, we will really know how much we are paying in taxes and demand we stop reckless spending and stop coming to me to raise my taxes. It is the same way with this. If funds were loaded into it, we have no ideal just how much we are spending until it is too late. Rather than buying that life sized stuffed animal with this RFID chip, think twice before buying it with cold, green cash.

• Like 1

One of the things I hate doing at parks is carrying around my wallet and card. If I only have the fast pay band, car keys, and platinum pass It would be much safer than carrying around my ID and credit card. This will be especially good at CP when GK, MF, TTD, and more all have to pay for bins.

We've all heard of Walt Disney World's new program NextGen / X-Pass / MyMagic+, which is literally an entire infrastructure rebuilding. Every single attraction at the resort has been retrofitted with new FastPass+ entrances, queues, scanners, etc. Kiosks appeared all over the parks. Every cash register has a scan pad. Every park entrance was remodeled. All of Disney's [free] attraction lockers are connected to this new system. Why?

Now, when booking a Walt Disney World vacation, you receive a "free" MagicBand (the same RFID-enabled rubber bracelet as Fastpay) for each member of your party. Those MagicBands sync with an online / smartphone site and app that allow you to pre-book FastPass+ attractions months and months in advance of your trip. Those same bands ARE your park tickets, dining reservations, credit cards, room keys, etc... Simply placing your bracelet on an RFID icon at the park entrance or on your hotel room door or a kiosk performs a function, and your personalized, pre-selected schedule, budgets, dining plans, etc. are available 24/7 on your phone, on your computer, or at a park kiosk, all with the wave of your hand. No need to hold on to a locker key, or a password, or remember which fingerprint, or even remember what number your locker is. Scan your wrist over the pad, select unlock, and your locker illuminates and opens.

This was - literally - a $1 billion investment on Disney's end. Billion. With a B. They imagine that this new ease of use will increase the guest experience so smoothly that guests will buy more, stay longer, spend downtime doing add-on activities, plan more in-park dining, and generally participate more in their own vacations from months before they start. It's obviously the far end of the spectrum, but recognize how these wristbands ARE proven and companies are reacting in massive ways to the proven success they bring. Disney invested over $1 billion, and NOT out of the kindness of their hearts. Even if it's not this year, or next, or the year after that, they have numbers that suggest that they'll make back $1 billion and then some.

• Like 2

Other parks that use the system connect the bracelet to a debit or credit card and an associated pin, so it's not "pre-loaded." Others do need charged and pre-loaded to a certain amount.

Which parks use the system directly linked to your card and do not need "charged"?

Which parks use the system directly linked to your card and do not need "charged"?

I was thinking of Disney's, which is not capped unless you set a cap (which for example, you can for different family members - kids get $25 for souvenirs, $10 for snacks). I suppose the bracelets are probably more accurately tied to a hotel room, though, which is in turn tied to a credit card.

• Like 1

^ Disney is capped at whatever amount you choose. The $$ is withdrawn off your debit/ credit card, checking account (or even cash) and put onto your Disney account to be used at any Disney venue.

The funds are not withdrawn from your credit card per transaction with Disney as a "middle man".

I have stayed in hotels as the paying guest for nearly 40 years now. Not once have I EVER billed any miscellaneous charge to a room. And I'm not going to start now.

As for scheduling every minute of a park trip before I get there (or even 10 minutes beforehand), the day Dixney mandates that is the day I decide to serendipitously spend my vacations and offtime somewhere else. Not only NO but HECK NO.

• Like 4

I have stayed in hotels as the paying guest for nearly 40 years now. Not once have I EVER billed any miscellaneous charge to a room. And I'm not going to start now.

As for scheduling every minute of a park trip before I get there (or even 10 minutes beforehand), the day Dixney mandates that is the day I decide to serendipitously spend my vacations and offtime somewhere else. Not only NO but HECK NO.

I also want to be the one to plan my vacation, not to have it planned out some months in advance by some cartoon mouse in Florida....if that's where he really is located..... :ph34r:

• Like 1

SeaWorld Entertainment parks, for one, can use it either way. You can load cash onto the wristbands and use them like a gift card, or you can link the wristband to your credit card and charge purchases to it to your heart's content.

• Like 2

SeaWorld Entertainment parks, for one, can use it either way. You can load cash onto the wristbands and use them like a gift card, or you can link the wristband to your credit card and charge purchases to it to your heart's content.

Sea World works just like Disney and does not access your card account for every purchase:

Discovery Dollars

With Discovery Dollars®, you can make purchases all day in the park without fumbling for your wallet. Simply use your credit card or cash at the beginning of your visit to set up a spending account. Youll be issued waterproof wristbands for the whole family, which can be used to charge purchases throughout the park. Your account will automatically settle at the end of each day. Its a free, smart and convenient way to enjoy the park without worrying about misplacing your cash or credit cards.

http://seaworldparks.com/buschgardens-williamsburg/Park-Info/Know-Before-You-Go?m=1

I personally can't wait for this technology to hit the park. The fewer things I have to take inside the happier I will be. Even with button pockets I am still constantly paranoid I will lose my wallet. If all I have to take into the park is my pass, ID and wrist band I will be a happy camper. If I take my truck to the park I don't even take the key in. I hide it, lock the truck and use the keypad to get back in. As for the spending more than you want in the park, just use your head and think before you buy. Leave the wallet in the car and you will have to think long and hard before you pony up more cash to reload the band on that long walk...

• Like 3

How many people strike a balance after they use this RFID chip to make their purchases? Same after they use their debit card? Do you still use a paper check and strike a balance on your register after you write that check? Do you keep track of what you spend and what your balance is? I bet not. If you used cash, you know what you are spending and you think do I really need to buy that? Having cash to make purchases will limit your impulse buying and spending more than you had budgeted. My father would always strike a balance on his check book after each check. He refuses to use a debit card, even though they offer it to him for free. My neighbor used to write checks and wonder why her checks had bounced. She would just write checks as if thinking she must still have money in her account because she still had checks left in her checkbook.

When I use systems like this, I pay close attention to the amount of money left on them. The receipt typically provides the balance, and I NEVER throw away the most recent receipt so I always have the current balance. Also, I usually determine my budget in advance and load exactly that amount onto the wristband. That way, in order to go over budget, I would have to hand over more cash, which makes me stop and think before I run out (and I might not even have extra cash on me to begin with).

I guess I am just lucky when it comes to debit cards and not overspending. When I add money to my checking account I look at the ballance, know how much I have to spend and keep track of it in my head until next payday. Every 4 or 5 days I check online to make sure my mental accounting is correct and it usually is within $5 or less. Haven't overdrawn my account in over 6 years since I became a "financially responsible adult" using this system. Same goes with budget when I go places. If I put $100 on a wrist band for the day I'm pretty sure I could keep track of spending in my head with no problem.

• Like 1

Sea World works just like Disney and does not access your card account for every purchase:

Discovery Dollars

With Discovery Dollars®, you can make purchases all day in the park without fumbling for your wallet. Simply use your credit card or cash at the beginning of your visit to set up a spending account. Youll be issued waterproof wristbands for the whole family, which can be used to charge purchases throughout the park. Your account will automatically settle at the end of each day. Its a free, smart and convenient way to enjoy the park without worrying about misplacing your cash or credit cards.

http://seaworldparks.com/buschgardens-williamsburg/Park-Info/Know-Before-You-Go?m=1

I didn't know what post to respond to, so I quoted all of them.

As far as I know, BGW started something different from "Discovery Dollars" two years ago. They introduced what they call the "Cashless Wristband." It is directly linked up with your credit/debit card, and no limit is set unless you specifically ask for a limit.

I guess the only difference is that the Cashless Wristband could not be pre loaded with cash beforehand. It is strictly linked up to the guests' credit card. Discovery Dollars was pre loaded.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...