Could KI (and other Cedar Fair properties) finally be getting WiFi?

BoddaH1994

I'm not sure if I'm making something from nothing or not but I stumbled across an article about Deep Blue - a company that installs wide spread WiFi networks. The article mentions that Cedar Fair Entertainment Co. was recently picked up as a client.

New retail customers include The Pyramid Cos., which owns Crossgates Mall in suburban Albany and Palisades Center in West Nyack, New York. New entertainment customers include Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, which owns amusement parks in the Midwest. Deep Blue also expanded internationally in a contract with Merlin Entertainment, an English company that runs Legoland theme park and Madame Tussauds wax museums.

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/news/2015/02/05/why-deep-blue-communications-continues-to-see.html

What are your thoughts?

• Like 4

Kings Dominion said on their Facebook that they would be adding WiFi as a guest amenity in the new Soak City.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/kings-dominion/all-new-soak-city-water-park-to-replace-waterworks-at-kings-dominion/10152556840341875

Improved Guest Amenities: Upgraded family changing areas, an additional restroom complex, expanded deluxe cabanas featuring WiFi and television, and new restaurant concepts designed by Kings Dominion’s Executive Chef.
  • Like 3

Soak City's WiFi probably isn't set up to handle the massive crowds lounging with mobile devices by the wave pool. The password would keep it uncongested for cabana guests, even if a few former cabana guests sneak in as well.

With the proliferation of mobile devices and limited data plans, park-wide WiFi seems long overdue. Encouraging mobile data use at the park is free advertising on social networks, and park guests could be encouraged to download KI's Accesso mobile app for push notifications of park promotions.

• Like 2

Don't know how I feel about this as I rarely use my phone at the park, which is why it's hard for me to meet up with other members. :P Seriously, though, I've only used it a few times to get on KIC and Twitter and that's pretty much about it. I go to enjoy the park on my off days and take in the park unattached from my mobile device. I understand some people use their phone for the app and to take selfies and whatnot, but as Terpy would say, I guess I'm not the target market. That being said, I really don't have much of an opinion except for that I guess its good for the park.

EDIT: OK, I just realized I also use my phone to take pictures while in the park, so I guess I use it more than I thought. But again, taking pictures doesn't require the internet as I don't immediately upload them to Twitter/Flikr/KIC. So, my point is still somewhat valid.

• Like 1

Unless they change the password daily, then I imagine the guests that rented the password have tried using the next visit and connected to without renting the password. Yes, I said daily not weekly, not on a regular basis.

I am betting that the Wi-Fi only goes so far until it goes weak.

• Like 1

Unless they change the password daily, then I

imagine the guests that rented the password have tried using the next visit and connected to without renting the password. Yes, I said daily not weekly, not on a regular basis.

Yep.

I tried KI's here in DC. Doesn't work.

• Like 4

Correct me if I'm wrong , but I thought the new Starbucks building will have wifi and that Banshee movie cameras installed last year would have to incorporate wifi to record your ride video. I believe park wide wifi connection would take away from the theme park experience. Enjoy the rides, entertainment games and stay for the wifi? Unless they partner with a local service ie: Festhaus wifi sponsored by Cincinnati Bell.

absolutely, 100% yes.

Those new kiosks install last year were the signal for me.

They will need to solve the problem plaguing Disney at present. All of the analytics in the world gained from data coming in from wall-to-wall "smart" interaction begin to fall off around 2-3pm as phone batteries start dying. They have some recharge stations in Soak City... but be on the lookout for a whole new CF revenue stream coming to a park near you. Charge for a fee...

• Like 1

Wow, shows you how much I am up on KI operations, I could swear I remember reading about the park getting wi-fi 2 or 3 years ago. I simply use my Verizon 4G, and it uploads pics of Friends and coasters to FB, be they "stuck" or not. Ive never had a photo take more than about 4 seconds max to upload to FB from my phone using V4G.

Unless they change the password daily, then I imagine the guests that rented the password have tried using the next visit and connected to without renting the password. Yes, I said daily not weekly, not on a regular basis.

Wasn't my point but I offer this, my router goes out 200-500 feet and it was a cheap one. Close enough in the waterpark for former renters to try and use?

When I attend a Colts game at Lucas Oil, its wifi network can handle 63,000 people being online at once. Why wouldn't KI's wifi be able to do the same, when average daily attendance is far less than that of an NFL game? As for charging your phone at Disney, they offer at least one, if not more free charging areas in each park. They blend in, of course, but they're there. The charging stations at MK could accommodate about 20 phones, assuming everyone used one plug (but of course people bring devices which allows multiple charging from one plug).

Finally, last year, Disney tested free charging lockers in the gift shop located at the exit to Space. They were a hit, but I believe Disney wanted to promote an area featuring multiple stations, rather than 10-12 lockers holding 1 device each.

• Like 1

When I attend a Colts game at Lucas Oil, its wifi network can handle 63,000 people being online at once. Why wouldn't KI's wifi be able to do the same, when average daily attendance is far less than that of an NFL game?

The thing about Lucas Oil Stadium was the Super Bowl put it on the map for cellular coverage in 2012 when every carrier tried to show off its 4G network. The entire building is laden in DAS setups for atleast the big 3.

The wifi connection cannot support that much traffic alone. But no need to connect to it when you have flawless cellular coverage.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Like 2