Article: Someone claims Canada's Wonderland sold them a gross uncooked burger for $25

But people feel it is more fun to social media blast instead of asking for a new one or refund - they need the likes and what not LOL. They probably have the meal plan.

Did you see the person complaining on FB that a food stand had no napkins?  Instead of letting an employee know they tried to FB shame the park.

• Like 2

So many comments about the cost of the burger and it being under cooked, but if the burger was $3 and undercooked, that would be ok? B)

My favorite from the article:

"you're at an amusement park, they ain't know for fine dining, your cook is 16 and probably stoned."

• Haha 2

I’m not sure what the original poster’s intentions were, but here are my thoughts:

I agree that normally simply asking for a different burger would be ideal, but she never claimed that she didn’t get to eat, got sick, walked away hungry, etc. Her point was that if you’re going to charge $25 for a burger, the least you can do is cook it so it’s not raw. Was this a warning to others? A vent of frustration? Malicious intent? Who knows? 

You have to shop out of others’ pockets sometimes. $25 CAD is about $18 USD. If you bought an $18 burger outside of the park, and after the sticker shock, it came out raw, what would your reaction be? I imagine many would be baffled as to how such a big mistake could be made when charging those prices. The typical consumer doesn’t sympathize with “theme park prices.” Especially in this world where everyone is extremely price sensitive, charging a premium for a sub-part product ain’t gonna fly. 

I do think this was an honest mistake. I also think that her reaction was a bit knee-jerk. I also think that her being upset first rather than wanting to take it upon herself to fix it is not the reaction that many people would have.

Unfortunately, articles like this a VERY damaging to the park. Not so much the, “don’t buy a burger there. They undercook them.” Reaction, but things like this:

Others felt that the customer should have just asked for a new burger rather than filming and posting about the item, writing things like "Just ask for another one and stop complaining" and "you're at an amusement park, they ain't know for fine dining, your cook is 16 and probably stoned."

A few also chimed in to say that buying an actual, very overpriced meal at the park was the individual's mistake, as they personally "only eat snacks down there [and] wait 'til it's time to go home to eat real food," and purportedly "no one buys food there except tourists."

"I'm more turned off by the price than the color of the meat," one added.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 4:15 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

Her point was that if you’re going to charge $25 for a burger, the least you can do is cook it so it’s not raw.

If someone is going to charge $1 for a burger, it shouldn't be dangerously undercooked. Hell, if someone hands me a free burger, it should be cooked, and anything less is unacceptable.

it came out raw, what would your reaction be? I imagine many would be baffled as to how such a big mistake could be made when charging those prices.

Again, I don't understand the focus on the cost, since that suggests there is some price point where it's expected that one would be served food that is liable to give them food poisoning. It should go without saying that there is no price point where that is acceptable. I mean, we're not talking about the quality of the lettuce, or the staleness of the bun, or some other detail like that.

Unfortunately, articles like this a VERY damaging to the park.

Citation needed. And random Internet quotes don't qualify as citation. :lol:

2 hours ago, DispatchMaster said:

If someone is going to charge $1 for a burger, it shouldn't be dangerously undercooked. Hell, if someone hands me a free burger, it should be cooked, and anything less is unacceptable.

Again, I don't understand the focus on the cost, since that suggests there is some price point where it's expected that one would be served food that is liable to give them food poisoning. It should go without saying that there is no price point where that is acceptable. I mean, we're not talking about the quality of the lettuce, or the staleness of the bun, or some other detail like that.

Citation needed. And random Internet quotes don't qualify as citation. :lol:

If someone charged $1 for a burger and it was dangerously undercooked it would be unacceptable. 

They served a $25 burger AND it was dangerously undercooked. 

If you buy a brand new Ford and it has problems right off the lot, that’s bad. If you buy a brand new Porsche and it has problems right off the lot, it’s also bad. 

By saying that something shouldn’t go wrong at a certain price point, it’s not implying that it’s acceptable at a lower price point. It means that if you charge a premium, delivering a sub-par product is even more unacceptable. 

I know that both you and the person from the park who feeds you lines don’t know much about PR, but having a public news article where people are quoted as saying to not buy the food at your establishment is a bad thing. I don’t think you need a pie chart to demonstrate that. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

...delivering a sub-par product...

Again, a "sub-par product" is something that is below a certain level of quality. Delivering raw meat in a bun is not what I would call "sub-par". It's flatly unacceptable, at $25, $5, or $0. The price is not relevant, other than a mechanism to get clicks on clickbaity articles.

48 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I know that both you and the person from the park who feeds you lines...

Ignoring for a moment that you seem to be unable to engage in discussion without resorting to ad hominem comments, which is a telltale sign of an impotent argument, did you miss the part where I said that serving raw meat is unacceptable? Weird that my "handler" or whatever would feed me a line like that.

50 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

having a public news article where people are quoted as saying to not buy the food at your establishment is a bad thing.

I never suggested it wasn't "a bad thing". I took issue with your qualification/quasi-quantification of this story as being "VERY damaging to the park". If you're going to make a claim as strong as that, shouldn't you have evidence that supports the claim? That a fringe, clickbait story made the rounds on coaster/park nerd forums doesn't mean there will be a measurable impact on the bottom line for the park. And a measurable impact on the bottom line is the bare minimum threshold for being "VERY damaging", no?