PKI open year around?

ragerunner

Do you think PKI is slowly preparing itself to be open year around?

While I think they would be a few years away from a year around schedule, they may be setting themselves up to be open all year long.

First you have the Great Wolf Lodge, they also have F/X theater, Flight of Fear, Tomb Raider, Scooby Doo, and SpongBob? which are all indoor attractions. Also you have some potential additions with the new Nick Universe along with the train, carousel, bumper cars and skating during the winter months on the International fountain.

If they would add one or two big indoor attractions over the next two or three years, like Adams Family if they made it all indoors, a 3-D movie in the Parmount Theater, and a War of the Worlds (or something along that line) attraction that might also be indoors and they could operate on a year round limited schedule.

Many of the European Parks already do this is climates that are just about like Ciny's. Example: De Efteling in Holland, Phantasialand and Europa Park in Germany.

I think PKI is the only major park in the midwest with enough attractions indoors(with a few additions) to make this work.

What do you think?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, be realistic. What would there be to do at Kings Island in sub-zero temps in the middle of January/February? Whats more... who would want to go? At least christmas offers some sort of reason to come out... but once the lights are down...

Why wouldn't someone want to go to KI year round. I think it's a great idea. KI needs a few more indoor attractions but I think with the right planning, and marketing KI would be a great park to open year around.

I seriously doubt you will ever see PKI open all year-round. There are too many issues as to why it would never work:

1.) Staffing--because Kings Island operates with so much college and high school help, it would be tough to get the work year-round for it. Yes, I know there's Winterfest...but there are also a lot of breaks coming up around the holidays that make it easier.

2.) Pricing--who would pay to get just a sliver of the entertainment they can get during the regular year? The weather during the winter months can suck, so who would pay just to go sit in an amusement park where the main draws aren't even open?

3.) Maintenance--it takes all winter to fix the park up. When would park maintenance be done? Also,there's the hazard of ruining the surprises of the new parks?

I think there's a certain aspect where so things at PKI--particularly International Street--might be a nice draw. Come in for a meal or a coffee. Install a movie theater. Open it up as a shopping/dining destination during the weekends, kind of a new adult hangout. Heck, put a nightclub in. But as for opening it as the PKI we all know and love, but just with fewer rides, would just be lame.

I've heard that International street as entertainment district rumor a long time ago, over 10 years ago in fact.

The version I heard was that they would wall up the side streets (by Paramount Theater, Festhaus, and Scooby Doo) and make everybody go to the tower end of International Street (kind of like the hub at Disney), then move the ticket takers to a new gate roughly at the end of International Street by the bandstand. (They would sell the tickets back where they do now) that way IS could be open year round as a shopping and dining area (Reopen International restaurant as a fine dining venue as it was when the rumou first started, and renovate Festhaus into a night club (also a rumour I heard) and I can see the IS as "Downtown Paramount" idea

I find it hard to believe that they would put in a night club type of thing since they stick to the family theme so much. Putting in a night club would take away from that. I also think that that staffing would be a nightmare if they opened year round.

Except of course, no company says "family" like the Walt Disney Company and they have an entire island dedicated to nightclubs at WDW...

I think the big problem with the idea is that there wouldn't be enough on International Street to keep crowds interested for long... (Even if they brought in outside retail as tenants.) I think more would need to be built into it (parking lot side) to make it compete with the other "mixed use" developments that have been springing up everywhere.

I would agree that their are some staffing issues etc... But, if some of the european parks have figured it out, why not. Maybe they would only be open on the weekends during the 'off season'. Yes, prices would have to be reduced because of the reduced attraction list. But, people in the midwest are looking for things to do in Jan. and Feb. Why not go ride Tomb Raider, catch a 4D show and let the kids play in an indoor play area. I would think PKI would like to have income coming in year around and not have the property vacant for several months. They can work out the construction issues if Disney and Universal can. I do think they would need to work on dining and shopping. If the area gets hit with Blizzard than the park would do the same as schools, and other place just announce they are closed for the day. I would be more than happy to pay extra for an annual pass instead of a seasonal pass.

i would, it we also be neat to just walk around the park and look at all the snow covered coasters, and catch a few rides on TRTR while im there, and FoF

I dunno...that'd almost be depressing to just be able to LOOK at the coasters, knowing I can't ride them.

...one reason I'm dreading visiting Winterfest sad.gif

i would, it we also be neat to just walk around the park and look at all the snow covered coasters, and catch a few rides on TRTR while im there, and FoF

I'm the exact same way, but the GP seems to disagree. I'd walk around the park if nothing were open, in fact, I have several times and always considered it a great time, yet I pitched the idea of going to Winterfest to my sister and she didn't want to because not many of the rides would be open.

I'm the exact same way, but the GP seems to disagree. I'd walk around the park if nothing were open, in fact, I have several times and always considered it a great time, yet I pitched the idea of going to Winterfest to my sister and she didn't want to because not many of the rides would be open.

That's the difference between a true theme park enthusiast and the general public biggrin.gif

If you want to run FOF in the winter, you need to heat that building. After sitting for periods of time when the temp is 30 something (if not lower), FOF's track is going to be in the temperature ranger where a steel coaster cannot run (which is below 50). Plus, that drum is not insulated and gets very cold in there, trust me. If PKI was in a warmer climate, it may be possible, but with it being right here in Cincinnati with Cincinnati's weather, just be happy its even open now.

To tell you the truth, it is the manufactors who state that steel coasters cannot run below a certain temp. I know on Vortex though, when it is cold, the trains are slower thru-out the ride and is possible for it to acutally hang since it would be so slow. I know PKI wont even try to run start ups on Vortex if it is any were close to 50. Now, if the track temp is warmer then the air temp when the air temp is about 50 or so, Vortex is fine (as long as it is in a continous run or if the air temp is not falling below 48 or so). If it stops for a long period, the track temp and the train temp lowers and then the ride shuts down due to weather. But I really dont know how Carowinds is able to run steel coasters unless its above 50 up there most of the time.