New area by 2022?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hey, Kings Island's 50th is in 2022, therefore something big or new HAS to be added by then!"

Seriously dude, we will probably have somewhat of a major park expansion, possibly a new area, by then. The fact that it is Kings Island's 50th? Hardly relevent in thr subject. Parks do NOT expand on a scheduale designed to fit big aneversary years. If they did, we could all set our watches for every 5 years for a new thrill ride.

While I would normally agree with you, Jackson, Cedar Point says otherwise.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/news/history/index.cfm

Look at their centennial year (1970). While none of these rides are extravagant, it's still seven new rides, a new theater, kiddie land, and an aquatic exhibit. Pretty impressive for one year.

Disclaimer: Of course this does NOT mean that I think KI will be making a large expansion in 2022. :)

While I would normally agree with you, Jackson, Cedar Point says otherwise.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/news/history/index.cfm

Look at their centennial year (1970). While none of these rides are extravagant, it's still seven new rides, a new theater, kiddie land, and an aquatic exhibit. Pretty impressive for one year.

Disclaimer: Of course this does NOT mean that I think KI will be making a large expansion in 2022. :)

And? Aside from the Theatre (Which is named Centennial Theatre,) who's to say all of that was for the centennial?

And as Terpy said, the amusement park industry was different then, and will be different in 2022.

Well mind you being a long ways off in the grand scheme of things, Kings Island does have the land for such an expansion. So in theory its, as I love Mythbusters so much, plausable.

Huh? What do you think the parking lot is sitting on? Real estate, last time I checked. Parking garages installed on a small portion thereof, VOILA, more land. Also, there is much land remaining that could be developed, though it would not be inexpensive to do so.

People who have ridden The Beast or looked close enough while riding Diamondback will know that beyond Kings Island, the terrain becomes very rough. First, it drops off extremely (While riding Beast, be sure to right before the last turn before the second lift, look up at Diamondback.) and then it becomes very rolling and rugged. Look at the border between Coney Mall and Rivertown, there's quite a drop right there. Imagine that but higher and steeper. It would be hard to build a ride out there, let alone a new section.

Then there is the problem of, where? The park has for the most part, boxed itself in. I can see expansion out by X-Base, possibly in between Rivertown and Nickelodeon Universe, maybe modify the Picnic grove or something? The Airport-Terminal style layout of Kings Island, while convenient, leaves little room for additions.

No way that KI builds a parking garage. According to one of my professors parking garages cost about 10,000 a space to build. The cost would be astronomical considering on the average Saturday there are 40,000 guests. Not to mention the maint. costs and the traffic congestion at close.

new land would be nice doubtful,,, no way on the garage, or they would have done it at knotts berry farm,,,they hav'ent Cost,,,,knotts needs it bad...

there so boxed in:

and ki has lots of areas to add flats, and expand between beat, etc.

and really how long will sob make it??????

Having worked in a parking garage for nearly two years now, I can't see KI getting one, mainly due to the amount of traffic they see each day. It would just make the parking situation worse. The elevators to take people up and down would be ridiculously crowded on busy days, and there would be a ton of congestion once everyone left. In addition, there would be more operating expenses - mainly due to the additional electricity needed to power all the lights and the elevators in the garage.

It doesn't matter if they listen to us or not...what does matter is who owns Kings Island at the time, what their plans are, and...perhaps most importantly, what the role of the personal automobile is by then in getting visitors to the park. Originally, many park visitors arrived at amusement parks by boat, trolley, street car, etc...and back then few thought large parts of park land would be covered with asphalt for guests' cars...

I don't really thing SOB will make it too 2022. So I guess look at a new land right where the coaster is.

Um, why wouldn't SOB make it until then? It would only be 22 or 23 years old. The Beast is 30. I definitely see SOB being there in 2022 unless something catostrophic happens or it becomes VERY ubnpopular to where very few people ride it.

Don't forget, if CF still owns KI in 2022, CP's 150th anniversay is two years earlier (2020). I'm not saying CP will get an expansion or something, but do keep that in mind. But, I hope, and do think that, KI gets a nice new section of the park in 2022. Maybe a roller coaster and a flat ride or two. I'm not asking for much, but it is definitely more then what would normally be given.

Only 14 years to go.

As Terpy and I have both said, parking garages are feasible when the time comes. Disney had NO land in CA to build another park and they couldnt buy nearly enough of what they needed for CA. so they used the DL parking lot for Cali Adventure and built parking garages at the edge of property and used trams to bring people to the front gate. Im sure I could look up how much of KI's acreage is dedicated to parking, but from just eyeballing it, it would be more than enough for a new area of the park. I'm with Terpy that given a choice between developing flat land and developing rolling terrain, flat land wins (and they can always carve out of the woods what they need for another coaster down the line like they did with DB). Never say never.

^ You're definately right about that. When I went on opening day, there were weeds growing up between the parking spaces and the lines badly need repainted.

Just be glad they're taking good care of the park. If they were taking better care of the parking lot, we may not have gotten Diamondback.