Jump to content
fryoj

Decoding 2020

Recommended Posts

Using Fury's descent angle and peak radius, Project X is 285 ft tall when measured from the backbone footer height. That footer is 10 ft lower than the footers at the peak. That would mean true height would be 275 ft. Thats using the footer coordinates and lift angle from the blueprints. I have trouble believing that myself, but the math has been done by more than one person. I think they can get some with a tighter radius and a steeper drop, but 25 ft is a lot with the margins laid out in the blueprints. I'd be happy to see someone do some math and prove that wrong. But "theres no way they'd do that" isn't exactly proof. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fryoj said:

Using Fury's descent angle and peak radius, Project X is 285 ft tall when measured from the backbone footer height. That footer is 10 ft lower than the footers at the peak. That would mean true height would be 275 ft. Thats using the footer coordinates and lift angle from the blueprints. I have trouble believing that myself, but the math has been done by more than one person. I think they can get some with a tighter radius and a steeper drop, but 25 ft is a lot with the margins laid out in the blueprints. I'd be happy to see someone do some math and prove that wrong. But "theres no way they'd do that" isn't exactly proof. 

Yeah but CedarFair would lower their ROI if they really decided to not go an extra 25 ft. There’s almost no way this thing won’t be at least 300 ft, it just doesn’t make any sense.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

Yeah but CedarFair would lower their ROI if they really decided to not go an extra 25 ft. There’s almost no way this thing won’t be at least 300 ft, it just doesn’t make any sense.

I hope they are not using the ravine/swell to get the extra 20-30 feet to get the 300 foot drop. In my eyes, that would not be a true giga.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I hope they are not using the ravine/swell to get the extra 20-30 feet to get the 300 foot drop. It my eyes, that would not be a true giga.

Then is Apollo’s Chariot not a true hyper?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bansheeback said:


Then is Apollo’s Chariot not a true hyper?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhh the old drop height vs actual height debate

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My classification is the initial hill has to crest 200ft to be a hyper, 300ft to be a giga. Goliath as SFOG is 200ft but has a drop of 175 and I still consider it a hyper. Yes Apollo's Chariot is a hyper in my book but only because the initial drop exceeds 200ft- but that's still a stretch for me.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KI higher ups preview of announcement night if they build a coaster just SHY of being in giga category. :lol:

 

 

giphy.gif

  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bansheeback said:


Then is Apollo’s Chariot not a true hyper?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends where the measurement takes place. If the height measurement is taken directly below the apex of the lift down to ground, or if the elevation changes x amount of feet ahead of the apex so the curvature of the track can drop in to get the extra footage, if that makes sense. In the latter case, the drop would be 300 feet long, but it wouldn't be 300' high.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the MT announcement, there was more applause from the Hillary Clinton/Donald Trump joke than the unveiling of MT. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We see who the joke's on now. SMH

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sixohdieselrage said:

During the MT announcement, there was more applause from the Hillary Clinton joke than the unveiling of MT. 

Ha! I remember that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sixohdieselrage said:

During the MT announcement, there was more applause from the Hillary Clinton/Donald Trump joke than the unveiling of MT. 

Was there, can confirm.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a second could we talk about the pros/cons of this ride being just at or under 300ft? I guess if it is short I want to know the benefits that were foreseen. This is all speculation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

For a second could we talk about the pros/cons of this ride being just at or under 300ft? I guess if it is short I want to know the benefits that were foreseen. This is all speculation.

If it is shorter than 300 feet, I am desperately hoping it's a new ride model.

If the leaked layout is the real deal, I am desperately hoping it's a new ride model.

I would be more than okay with this thing being something totally new given the information we have.

Part of me is still holding onto a shred of hope that KI disseminated some somewhat-bogus documents to shroud what will be the park's biggest investment ever. They know the blueprint song and dance – it has happened for several projects. My brother, who is a project management professional, told me it would be entirely possible to submit blueprints to the city that were slightly off and amend them after the fact. Is it possible they're tired of the blueprint leaks and have found a way around it? I SERIOUSLY doubt this is the case, but I'm kinda hoping it is based on all of our calculations and models we've seen so far. I want an epic giga with at least one record involved, sue me I guess lol.

Additionally, I'm really struggling to shake the feeling that KI would very much want to break records for what is almost certainly one of the most anticipated giga projects for the last 10ish years. I can't think of a single park that has had people asking "Giga?" for every single season for several years in a row. The fact that all the info we have right now conflicts with something groundbreaking is... extremely strange to me.

That said, I'll still ride the crap out of a mediocre giga if we get it. Could even NOT be a record breaker and still have a legendary ride experience.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

For a second could we talk about the pros/cons of this ride being just at or under 300ft? I guess if it is short I want to know the benefits that were foreseen. This is all speculation.

I could speak on the cons for a second. Let it be known that we all agree after the great debate many pages ago that Kings Island is on the map! With that being said I came across this on reddit today on the Kings Island sub. I have no clue if this person considers themselves an enthusiast or just a gp member that usually goes to CP, and previously Geauga Lake. They expressed a so so opinion on the KI coaster lineup, and I worry that a coaster that is just at or under 300ft. will lead to more people not necessarily feeling underwhelmed at our lineup, but let down at what could be. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

For a second could we talk about the pros/cons of this ride being just at or under 300ft? I guess if it is short I want to know the benefits that were foreseen. This is all speculation.

Smaller size, Cheaper cost. 

4 minutes ago, RuthlessAirtime said:

If it is shorter than 300 feet, I am desperately hoping it's a new ride model.

If the leaked layout is the real deal, I am desperately hoping it's a new ride model.

I would be more than okay with this thing being something totally new given the information we have.

Part of me is still holding onto a shred of hope that KI disseminated some somewhat-bogus documents to shroud what will be the park's biggest investment ever. They know the blueprint song and dance – it has happened for several projects. My brother, who is a project management professional, told me it would be entirely possible to submit blueprints to the city that were slightly off and amend them after the fact. Is it possible they're tired of the blueprint leaks and have found a way around it? I SERIOUSLY doubt this is the case, but I'm kinda hoping it is based on all of our calculations and models we've seen so far. I want an epic giga with at least one record involved, sue me I guess lol.

That said, I'll still ride the crap out of a mediocre giga if we get it. Could even NOT be a record breaker and still have a legendary ride experience.

World's Tallest Hyper Coaster. 299 feet. A record never to be broken. 

  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fryoj said:

World's Tallest Hyper Coaster. 299 feet. A record never to be broken. 

After I figured out whether to laugh or cry, I'd riot

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, fryoj said:

Smaller size, Cheaper cost. 

World's Tallest Hyper Coaster. 299 feet. A record never to be broken. 

"We welcome our newest Hyper, "#CantBeatUs", which is 299' 11". Take that Kings Island and Cedar Fair!"

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

For a second could we talk about the pros/cons of this ride being just at or under 300ft? I guess if it is short I want to know the benefits that were foreseen. This is all speculation.

Now that I think about an actual pro to this, what if it's just at 300-310 and they're going for an airtime record? Think nothing but the world's tallest, most sustained ejector airtime hills. Back to back to back to back. Like a steel El Toro. That would be unbelievable. 

I am saying this only because the layout suggests it could be the case.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every new coaster, whether at a regional or destination park, should have a "wow" factor that will attract people to that park; something that's worth the price of admission. In this case I don't think people would travel to KI just to ride another Diamondback which keeps me positive.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SonofBaconator said:

Every new coaster, whether at a regional or destination park, should have a "wow" factor that will attract people to that park; something that's worth the price of admission. In this case I don't think people would travel to KI just to ride another Diamondback which keeps me positive.

Even for The Beast Unleashed video, the comments were full of GP saying "wow just another Diamondback? Meh" and I tried my hardest to make it wildly different. 

KI has to be aware of the risk of constructing something that looks way too similar to Diamondback. I have no doubt it will be very different in some way.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sixohdieselrage said:

During the MT announcement, there was more applause from the Hillary Clinton/Donald Trump joke than the unveiling of MT. 

I wasn't here then, were people pretty bummed about MT?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fryoj said:

Not sure what else you want to see on the track portion, but it shows footers, supports and rail position throughout. It also has black dots and unreadable text(probably heights) at high and low spots. There really isn't more detail to show on a coaster.

There is a clear difference with the station and the track when it comes to amount of detail. That's what I was pointing out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ldhudsonjr said:

I wasn't here then, were people pretty bummed about MT?

IIRC, people were assuming it would be a giga. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DonkeyKong said:

I could speak on the cons for a second. Let it be known that we all agree after the great debate many pages ago that Kings Island is on the map! With that being said I came across this on reddit today on the Kings Island sub. I have no clue if this person considers themselves an enthusiast or just a gp member that usually goes to CP, and previously Geauga Lake. They expressed a so so opinion on the KI coaster lineup, and I worry that a coaster that is just at or under 300ft. will lead to more people not necessarily feeling underwhelmed at our lineup, but let down at what could be. 

 

Never trust the opinion of anyone who enjoys Invertigo. 

  • Like 13
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RuthlessAirtime said:

If we get a 290 foot 4 wide B&M hyper, that will be one of the strangest choices Cedar Fair has ever made.

 

Not to play devil's advocate, but... Skyrush and Hershey's 2020 Coaster will coexisit in the same park (according to RCDB, Skyrush is a hyper at 200 ft.). I'm thinking it'll be a giga, but you never know.

Also, yes I do remember the disappointment at the Mystic Timbers announcement... I was very excited, but there was definitely some audible disappointment, especially from the person in front of me...

Finally, I don't remember the Trump/Clinton joke at the announcement, how did that go again?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like every park because of their uniqueness, not because of its rollercoaster selection. I’m hoping the new addition will bring overhaul to the x-base area. Perhaps a few new/used rides will pop up there. Btw. What if this is a first one of its kind rides? Floorless giga? Who knows. I’ll be excited if the teasers start popping up soon.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hershey's two hypers are from different manufacturers. To me it doesn't make sense to have a second B&M hyper in the same park as another B&M hyper. If we were to get a hyper I'd want it from like Intamin, Mack, or even RMC. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...