Hands up illegal on coasters!

TheKlockster

Ohio Revised Code § 1711.551. Duty of rider to heed warnings and directions and avoid unsafe behavior.

(A) No rider shall fail to do any of the following:

(1) Heed all written warnings and directions that require a person to meet certain conditions or to refrain from certain actions regarding an amusement ride, as determined by rule by the director of agriculture;

(2) Refrain from behaving or acting in any manner that may cause injury or contribute to injuring himself or other people while occupying an amusement ride.

Now according to what I read on Pointbuzz - it is illegal in Ohio for a rider to have their hands up on a coaster (if the park says you have to keep them down). PKI does direct you to "keep hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times". So for all you coaster fanboys out there - no more hands free rides! cowboy.gif

This is the same law that says that On Ride Photography is illegal.

And before anyone says anything - I FOUND IT! dry.gif

"Please keep hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times.' When your hands are up, they are in the car, outside of the car is refering to the sides and front(That is how I and most operators see it). How many guest actually keep their hands down, it is a coaster custom to put your hands up. There is no harm in it neither, if they try to enforce that rule, they won't have many if any guests in the park. On-ride photography is more dangerous than hands up. Your hands can't go flying off like a camera can.

The park rules ask that you keep them down. Now I know that at Cedar Point - hands up is forbidden. So maybe hands down isnt explicitly stated. I know for a fact that it is on Beast however...

And if they say you must keep your hands down - then putting them up is a misdemeanor. Just as bad a crime as on ride video...

Now that being said - when we did the National Geographic Shoot - we asked if we had to ride with hands down or if we could put them up - and they said it didn't matter. So maybe it isn't an actual park rule that they have to be down and holding onto the handle bar. I just know that "hands arms and legs must be inside the vehicle at all times".

I have only been told to put my hands down once, OddCoaster-March 19th, 2005. They even stopped the ride, it had to be a newbie. I have never saw a sign saying "hands down" at any park, it is on the auto-spiel for Top Thrill Dragster and Hypersonic XLC. I have hit my hands on a tree branch at Carowinds on Goldrusher several times but never the tunnel or supports. I have my hands on every coaster that doesn't have OTSR. The parks advertise coasters with people that have their hands up.

It's people who put their hands up during launch on coasters like TTD that have caused restraint modifications on rides like Revolution at Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hypersonic at Paramount's Kings Dominion. The parks and ride manufacturers have had to do this to protect riders from themselves. Do the words possible shoulder separation mean ANYTHING to you?

Sigh.

I do know that whoever mentioned people hitting their hands on The Beast, that's true. However, I have never met anyone who did it on accident. Yes, you heard me right, I have never heard of anyone do it on accident. I have had several ACErs ask where first aid was because they wanted to touch their hands on The Beasts tunnel during the final helix. So, just be smart about it and don't get yourself hurt.

Yes, I know for a fact that hands can touch the tunnel in the final helix of The Beast. Back about 8 years ago I had my hands up when I entered that part of the ride. Lets just say that my hand briefly grazed the tunnel. Nothing serious, just my hand stung a little. From that day on, I never raise my hands up above headrest height, and normally hold on to the black hand bar in that part. Although I am surprised more people don`t get their hands scratched up from hitting the tunnel. There are always tons of people who hold up there hands before going into that tunnel.

"Please keep hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times.' When your hands are up, they are in the car, outside of the car is refering to the sides and front(That is how I and most operators see it

Actually, that is wrong. Keeping your hands INSIDE the car does not mean in the air, which is considered outside the car.

It is all lawyer talk and leaves many gray areas, but if you were to get hurt, that arguement would never work.

The park rules ask that you keep them down. Now I know that at Cedar Point - hands up is forbidden. So maybe hands down isnt explicitly stated. I know for a fact that it is on Beast however...

Is hight-fiving a guy in the other train on Gemini illegal? 'cause I have...

1 point for disregarding my personal safety.