Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Kings Island Central Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Leaderboard

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 03/16/2013 in all areas

  1. Hi Don, please please PLEASE tell me that the wall in the middle of the station that was removed last year is still going to be GONE. Without that wall, it was very easy to actually 'race' your friends; by that, I mean that we'd walk into the station together. My son and I would go to the blue side. My friend and his son would go to the red side, and we could easily see where we each needed to ride in order to "race". I mean, it is The Racer, and that makes the ride so much more fun...
  2. Let's try reviving this thread one more time. I like it too much just to let it go. Easy: Eiffel Tower Hard: Eiffel Tower at night Expert: Eiffel Tower at night during Halloween Haunt Just a suggestion that might help keep this going: try going a little bit easier on the categories. Think about what you would take a picture of when you're at the park. A kiddie ride might seem like an easy thing to take a picture of, but if you had a camera with you at the park, when would you really stop to take ride pictures in Planet Snoopy? Does anyone (except maybe BB1 ) take pictures of the slides in the water park? At least in my opinion, the 'easy' picture should be something fairly obvious or broad. The 'easy' one should be the one that any Joe Schmoe with a camera could feel comfortable jumping in with, because, well... It's supposed to be easy. I don't mean to call out specific people's ideas, but on their first visit to the park with a camera, how many people think to take a picture of the cannons on White Water Canyon or Diamondback's test seat? (Again, they're absolutely great ideas--I'm just suggesting that they might be more appropriate as 'hard' or 'expert' pictures.) Some really great examples from the thread: closed WindSeeker, Delirium, a picture in the park on a sunny day, etc. The 'hard' picture should up the ante a bit--but within reason. Make those pictures the type that someone who's taken several pictures at the park would take. Bring on the pictures of squid hats, Vortex mid-inversion, Alive Dinosaurs, obscure park signage/wind vanes, sculpted topiaries, etc. Don't go super over-the-top; that's what the 'expert' picture is for. This is where you ask for the not-so-obvious details of the park, like the bear on the way to Soak City, the Emporium, Backlot Stunt Coaster's 'splashdown', or SBNOSOB. For me, this is the easiest level at which I'll request Haunt photos, because apparently people just don't take many pictures during Haunt. The 'expert' picture is where you let your imagination fly. Make this your 'Don Helbig doing a handstand atop a blue ice cream cake' suggestion, assuming Don's ever been caught doing such a thing. This is where you ask for things that people wouldn't normally take photos of at all. It's also where you ask for pictures from special events, because not everyone's going to have been there. Ask for Soak City slides and pictures on the fences, Racer stopped on the lift hill, Planet Snoopy rides, Flight of Fear with the emergency lights on, or behind-the-scenes Beast photos. Again, these are only suggestions. I'm not trying to play moderator or change the rules; I'd just like to see this thread keep going because I love seeing people's photos!
  3. I don't see this much effort & expense going into this type of a themed atmosphere only to show one team/ game a day.I also love the location. For parents who choose not to partake in some of the larger coasters in the area or the park's main water ride now have a very nice option relatively close to sit back & relax. When our kids were still very young (breast feeding too) I always would get a horizon suite at Breakers Tower so the wife & kids had a place to relax while I went to TGI Fridays & "relaxed" too. Often times a Tribe game would be on. We always had Motorolas so that we could still converse. It worked out perfectly.
  4. I am not trying to throw a wet dishrag on this thread. Honest. But the most precious things I have collected from Kings Island are memories...of experiences with people I can never go to the park with again. And those memories are very precious to me. The park is now and has for many years been a very special place for me. I can sit by the fountain and remember discussing life, the universe and everything with many different friends over the years...one of whom I lost less than five weeks after that discussion, very unexpectedly. Not all things collected are tangible.
  5. Apparently what appears to be the train started a 10-acre brush fire starting at the top of the train loop at Dollywood. It appears to be contained with no threat to structures, and it looks like it won't effect the opening for season passholders or gp this Fri/Sat. . http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/mar/16/emergency-crews-battle-brush-fire-at-dollywood/ I leave the park for three days and they try to set the place on fire. I know I left Dollywood, but that doesn't mean I want the park destroyed either...just one manager
  6. The newest addition since my post ...and from what I can remember the only addition besides a Beast hoodie I bought one night during Haunt IMG_5113 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr I known the author for awhile so it was a must I had to get a copy of it, lol. It's actually really good!
  7. Just let me know when you'll be there, and I'll be glad to give you one ride on Lemon Twist. I limit myself one ride a day - my arms and fingers are really, REALLY sore after a ride on it. Plus, I end up exhausted!
  8. I'm so happy Tony is back. His updates are always the best.
  9. Are you sure that answer isn't only for Cedar Point? After all, the group there isn't Island Buzz....
  10. Confused a bit. Sorry. I meant it would be cool to see a KIC Souvenir Shop, with your logo on a sign hanging over the door. "Welcome to KIC's Souvenir Shop! To where you can find merchandise of all your favorite rides, and posters of Kings Island Central. Want a T-shirt of BB1's own avatar? Buy it here for $10.99, with a price that low, you'd have to come from the land down under! Want your favorite quote on your car? Then buy a quote bumper sticker for $5.99 for all your posting necessities. KICSS, the first and only."
  11. I read that on FB last night. I know I can't be the only one that was annoyed by all the "turn The Racer backwards again!" comments on there.
  12. Collect Kings Island memorabilia? If you do that, you must have way too much free time on your hands!
  13. https://www.facebook.com/greatohiocc/posts/504204809642159 All card-carrying members of coaster clubs are invited to Gatekeeper's media day. Essentially, if you can go to CoasterMania!, you can go to media day.
  14. According to the Pointbuzz offseason tour, Cedar Point's WindSeeker will have the same evacuation contraption as Knotts does. They expect it to open with the park in May. I'm going to assume Kings Island will get the same thing, but I have no idea if it will be ready or not by opening day.
  15. As I'd said in another thread, I do have some Kings Island and Cedar Point buttons. I also have some maps of Kings Island, Cedar Point and Six Flags Great America. The oldest items I have are probably a Kings Dominion brochure from 2001 (promoting HyperSonic XLC) and a 2005 Kings Island map. I also collect t-shirts. I only have my Diamondback First Rider shirt now, but I used to have a Maverick shirt (now it's in really bad condition), a Comet (Great Escape in NY) shirt and even an Incredible Hulk shirt (Universal). I think I also used to have a Top Gun (now Afterburn) shirt from Carowinds. EDIT: I also have a newer Spongebob Souvenir cup (it now holds pencils).
  16. ^ Couldn't agree more. I love the foursquare layout, as it usually helps open the room up and makes it easier to get a drink! I cannot wait for this place to open up! Now my question is, are they going to show Reds games only, or can we expect to see other games playing, and watch other sports as well? I understand if it's strictly Reds games only, seeing as it is the theme of the restaurant and all, but checking up on other games and sports would be nice.
  17. I collect shot glasses, mugs, magnets, key chains, and occasional souvenir cups. I'm more into maps and post cards which I keep in boxes. I also like to collect souvenir bags, I have a binder I keep them under plastic so they don't get faded. Most stuff come from Cedar Point and Sea World, but there's a fair amount of Kings Island and other parks too. I have a lot of Paramount's Kings Island hoodies and also hoodies for KI Haunt. I have 1 hoodie from Knott's Haunt that was a gift this past year. Numerous CP shirts, at least 4 or 5 for Raptor, 2 Mantis shirts, 1 Banshee shirt and a Cedar Point Christmas in the Park sweater. Souvenir Cups from Kings Island I have a Delirium, Halloween Haunt (Green), Son of Beast (the weird looking black one with his claw at the base), and a mug with the original Kings Island logo, Crocodile Dundee's Boomerang Bay and other Paramount branded cups and a WindSeeker. Other park souvenir cups include 6 Mantis cups, Soak City (CP), Challenge Park (CP), Berenstein Bear kids cup (CP), SeaWorld (with the original logo), a glass cup and a mug with branded with "Cedar Point Amazement Park". Shot glasses, I have for Diamondback, Beast, SeaWorld "Believe", Dollywood, and one for Magnum XL 200. Favorite Maps/Brochures http://i602.photobuc...ch/IMG_4021.jpg http://i602.photobuc...ch/IMG_4019.jpg http://i602.photobuc...ch/IMG_4024.jpg http://i602.photobuc...ch/IMG_4025.jpg Keychains http://i602.photobuc...ch/IMG_4029.jpg A few postcards http://i602.photobuc...ch/IMG_4018.jpg Other assorted stuff include the following: Knott's Berry Farm Indian Trails Media Packet Knott's Berry Farm Adventures in Education booklet Knott's Scary Farm 25th and 26th Halloween Haunt Media Packet Cedar Point Maverick Media Packet Cedar Point Raptor Media Packet Limited Addition Daniel Mueller Armored Horse at CP numbered 0517/1000 with signature by the carver Sea World Teacup set SeaWorld Believe DVD and SeaWorld Sensations VHS (recently transferred it to DVD) 2 Cedar Point "Get To The Point" VHS (recently transferred to DVDs) Cedar Point Queen of American Watering Places 125th Anniversary Addition (book) Knott's Preserved (book) Season of Screams Legacy of Knott's Scary Farm DVD Kings Island 30th Anniversary Poster with Tomb Raider Picnic Grove Ticket Stub with the Tomb Raider logo Eiffel Tower branded Paramount's Kings Island Raptor Pin Berenstein Bear stuffed animals from CP (I loved them books as a kid...)
  18. Bug's still there. The front page updated just two minutes before you posted that, but hasn't updated since as your post wasn't shown.
  19. We would like to give a shutout and a big welcome to Jennifer Lopez for joining the KICentral Ta Ta Team to help find a cure.
  20. Yeah, faeriewench's post in the random photo thread at 6:00 is still showing as the most recent post "1 minute ago". I'm pretty sure there's a bug here.
  21. I was on the left hand side of the train, I touched the tips of my fingers on The Beast's tunnel. I thought that I broke a finger or two. I am 6'4" and have a long reach. Btw: it stung for 20-30 mins. I guess that I was lucky.
  22. ...or was that a pastry shop? Yes, that's it. It was a KIC pastry shop.
  23. What I wanted. Older pubs can get away with up against the wall bars due to a smaller, more intimate clientel, but the foursquare bar is perfect for a sports bar.
  24. We'll make it a double feature, The Partridge Family's "I Left My Heart in Cincinnati" followed by The Brady Bunch's "The Cincinnati Kids", which I have on DVD (yes, I have all five seasons of The Brady Bunch on DVD).
  25. The 2nd picture is showing Spiral plaza. The old Spiral / Transport Refreshments building remains, as well as the old stairs leading in to Spiral plaza. Meanwhile it appears a new planter will go in where Spiral stood with a new covering over the existing patio tables. The third picture has the beach on top with Giant Wheel and Twister to the left, with the new Gate Keeper grand entrance plaza next to the forward spike of Twister. I am happy that Spiral plaza remains intact, and hopefully with the restrooms still there.
  26. Since you work at Dollywood and are very knowledgable about the park, I have a few questions. I haven't been in a few years, but I decided to buy season passes this year. Can you tell me about the Season Pass Preview Day on March 22nd? What are the hours? How crowded is it compared to the Public Opening on the 23rd? I have a friend on the bigger side (he's about 6'5" and a little heavy), will he have any trouble fitting on the Dizzy Disk or the Mountain Slidewinder? I've heard that the seats might be uncomfortable for some and wondered. Thanks for your help and useful tips! Pretty sure preview day hours are 10-7 but they aren't really posted anywhere. I can confirm on Monday. Preview day will be less crowded than opening day. It's hard to guess what the crowds will be like, as it largely depends on weather. 2011's preview day was very moderate with few lines, but opening day was very busy because the weather was beautiful. 2012 was very busy both days because we were opening a brand new B&M wing rider and the weather was fairly nice. In 2010, both days were deserted because it was rainy and cold. As far as your friend fitting, Slidewinder doesn't even have restraints. They are a custom built boat that's more like a mat. He should have no problem. Dizzy Disk, in my opnion, is uncomfortable for everyone regardless of size because the restraints are rather awkward. The two rides I would say he should be concerned about are Mystery Mine and Wild Eagle. They are a similar size to Drop Tower's restraints. Also, Wild Eagle has a maximum height of 6'6" and most people who are close to that height have a difficult time getting in because of their shoulders. But you'll have no trouble at all with either of my rides - TN Tornado and Blazing Fury I love the Blazing Fury. I know it's cheesy and not as fast or scary as others, but it's just a great classic. Thanks for the answers you guys, they're really helpful . Can't wait to visit!
  27. The atmosphere at Dollywood is certainly amazing. Something that sets us apart from a lot of other parks is the average age of our employees. We hire a LOT of retirees, so I often feel like I have multiple grandpas when I'm at work! I'm 27 and I am the youngest team lead in the attractions department, so that right there tells you a bit about how different things are from parks like Kings Island. You will experience southern hospitality at it's best at Dollywood. There is so much more to the park than just the rides, and I really think you will love it.
  28. Just to add a little something, though not much, here's a picture of me and my big brother at Kings Island when we were little. I think I'm about 3 years old here (maybe 4, I'm on the left). We later discovered that my brother was deathly afraid of heights which explains the concerned look on his face. I, on the other hand, was ready to fly.
  29. That is, most certainly, a step in the right direction.
  30. The circuit is now complete! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151290488511463&set=a.319129566462.158310.10625691462&type=1&theater
  31. ^^I actually think the looks kind of cool.
  32. Wow... I love the trains, especially the lit-up eyes. I know which row I'll be in this summer! And thank you CP for thinking of us larger folks... It's bad enough that I can't ride Millie, TTD, WT and Raptor (and CCMR, but I don't really miss that one). Everything else I fit on, so I know I'll at least have a chance with GK!
  33. Two years. Max. Both valid possibilities. I personally don't know which to expect myself, but either way, we shall see!
  34. Track to be completed next week! https://twitter.com/CPGMJohn/status/304686942434508800
  35. While I am not a fan of the wing coasters this ride looks pretty cool.
  36. http://www.wdrb.com/story/21135333/ed-hart-speaks-out-about-efforts-to-reopen-kentucky-kingdom Also see http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20130212/NEWS01/302120046/Hart-says-he-fully-expects-reopen-Kentucky-Kingdom-schedule
  37. From the link above "we have made some modifications in the redevelopment plan for Kentucky Kingdom" Sure sounds like modifications means downsizing of initial plans. Or possibly the opposite but if I were a betting man I'd bet the grand re-opening won't be as grand as previously presented.
  38. Boy, what are the odds!
  39. You'll have to pardon me for not trying that out at Carowinds, thank you very much. Mr. Reid-Anderson will be happy to know I'll make that day a great advencha.
  40. The myth of the luxury convention center host hotel rears it's ugly head once again (see link in the Interpreter's comment above). This is a silly expensive myth well studied and disclaimed by Heywood Sanders in this article based upon his study published (behind a pay wall) finding no economic gain from host hotels: http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2012/10/does_a_convention_hotel_make_s.html Professor Sanders is the foremost expert on convention centers and host hotels in the United States. Here is his extensive study and conclusions about the publicly funded convention center business: http://www.brookings.edu/research/reports/2005/01/01cities-sanders For the Fair Board to claim no government money will be spent on this project whilst doling out tax breaks and credits is not honest. If you forgive an otherwise due tax it is the same as spending tax funds.
  41. I think there will be plenty of new rides. "Footers" "More Footers" and last but not least "Son of Footers"
  42. Louisville is currently dealing with High Crime and rampant Heroin abuse. I highly doubt many will chose KK over HW or KI. At least he puts on a good front.
  43. I suspect this state is negotiating this. We have seen how inadequate the Fair Board is at this several times over. I suspect this is why the state finally stepped in. KFEC is state owned land, why wouldn't they step in? Freedom Hall has literally nothing going on anymore, as does Cardinal Stadium, causing a huge hole in KFECs funding. I suspect the state wants this fixed without providing state money.
  44. Certainly not saved yet. Article said that they are close to reaching a lease. Still said that the group will have to secure financing. Let's not forget Bluegrass Boardwalk also had a lease at one point in time. Until opening day comes for this park, I'll remain pessimistic.
  45. ^And I would say even Holiday World agreed with the waterpark sentiment when they realized opening the ride's side wouldn't be worth their time initially if at all. I don't think Holiday World ever had intentions of owning the park and knew that wasn't going to happen. Why would the state sell off that land to them? They wouldn't to Hart initially, wouldn't to Six Flags and I doubt they'd do it to a new operator. They sit on the Fair Board firmly knowing they have a cushy deal: "We own the land and get a large cut, what's left is yours." Six Flags said "screw it" and left. Holiday World made it very clear and public that they were in lease negotiations, not ownership negotiations. They had a deal in place, only after they toured the park did their announcements about "ride experts" deeming it not a viable pursuit for them and they backed off the Lease deal. After going through Hart's estimates for some of the repairs, I'd think some of these are not at all accurate, inflated or grossly underestimated. Having been in the park, legally, myself and seen it with my own eyes. For T2 it makes no mention of needing new trains. Are they planning to repair the one in pieces in the station and scattered under the ride in the grass? Same with Thunder Run. You can't tell me that the train currently sitting on the track (and it has been for several years now), unprotected, not winterized, with most of its valuable parts stripped off is in any condition to run. I'd like to see the park succeed, I think it's beautiful little place. However, if it does - I bet it'll be a waterpark. These days though it looks like the state has had enough of Hart, the Fairboard and the mess the park situation has become. Gambling is the new tourist attraction, but is KY too late? Edit: On another note, to those thinking this is all very personal to Mr. Hart. I'm sure it is, but I don't think it's for the same reasons you do. I think it's personal on a political level to him, I think he feels burned at being rejected before and watching the state negotiate with Holiday World. Ed Hart is not Walt Disney. He didn't return to his beloved Bluegrass home in order to restore his "Kingdom." He's here because he sees a business opportunity, one he's familiar with and in a location where his name is known. If he plays his cards right - he looks like the hero and the politicians look like they want to keep the park closed. Maybe he ultimately believes he can turn the park around. But if he loved it so much in the first place, why did he sell it to Six Flags? Money. He's a businessman through and through. That's not an insult, more of a compliment. Like Mike Brown - people think the guy is downright evil, but the guy makes money, and a good lot of it.
  46. I have a beast poster. But other than that you've pretty much entered a bird's nest (if you know what I mean).
  47. Could you post the 98',99',01',03, park maps because I've never seen those before.
This leaderboard is set to New York/GMT-04:00
Background Picker

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.