Everything posted by robintodd
-
2023 Live Entertainment Discussions
I was at the 2 oclock show and the last show. Alas I feel Phantom will not make it's return next year. Instead of the "we'll see you next season" that they did last year, they thanked the crowd for the support over the last 2. Noone came out for the meet and greet after the performance and serveral references were made during the show that it was the "last one". It certainly had the feeling of a final curtain call. Maestro even shook Larry's hand at the apropriate spot which drew quite the response from eveyone there. So many inside jokes, the Maestro's first call for applause for himself was so long he had to tell everyone to stop! The love was flowing to and from the stage it will be a memory I will carry with me always. Special shout out to the two young men who dressed up as Legless Larry and Maestro, both with blue face paint. You two definitely added to the ambiance. I didn't get the Vinyl soundtrack I wanted, nor a picture of the cast in and out of makeup (but still in costume). I hope someone did get that shot for the cast as a keepsake. I did get merch for a show that I will be sporting thorughout the years. So it is with a bit of sadness that I say farewell to this wonderful, top of the line show. Happy Feet is definitely the best act of any show at anytime in the history of that theatre and Phantom is the greatest show it's ever seen (Celebration is a very close second). (both my opinion of course, your mileage may vary ) Thanks to KI management, cast, crew and everyone who made the show possible (including RB & company). It was nice to see a broadway style original show done at that theatre once again, and done right!
-
Camp Snoopy Arrives in 2024 at Kings Island
After some research this am I can't find any pictures showing 2 train operation so my memory of 2 train operation is incorrect. All listings of it also have 1 train operation. Getting old is no fun
-
2024 Season Passes
I have mentioned before that Prestige should go away and they should just offer the benefits as an add-on to gold. ie. $100 for vip access, $100 for preferred parking, $100 for 1 front of the line each visit, $100 for bring a friend, etc. I think in the end they would end up making more money. Some may see the value in just getting parking and/or front of the line but not the other benefits. The park would end up ahead in my opinion. For that matter, they could even offer passport options for $20 more like they are doing the dining plan. Some may only want the parking for KI and not care about CP (ie. my wife and I only stay at the Breakers when we go so preffered parking would not be a benefit).
-
2024 Season Passes
2 of my grandchildren had Platinum in 2022 and I downgraded them to gold in 2023 and their platinum passes still worked. My wife and I still have our original platinum passes (the ones branded Kings Island) and they still work as well. It's just a barcode at this point.
-
Camp Snoopy Arrives in 2024 at Kings Island
If I remember correctly when it first opened they had 2 train operation.
-
Camp Snoopy Arrives in 2024 at Kings Island
Great addition Nice to see Planet Snoopy get some love!
-
2023 Live Entertainment Discussions
Just listened to Celebration (I do have the vinyl but it was easier to click). Brought back so many memories (I miss Sarah and Harry). I so wish there was a video of the show. The closest I've been able to find was the 84 show at Carowinds on you tube (which doesn't include The Bat sequence of course). Thanks for the trip back.
-
Holiday World - New for 2024
What a creative name, concept and video. Well done! Only way it could have been better was to name it Wavy Gravy and have music by the Greatful Dead playing in the que
-
Top Thrill Dragster Incident
While I do appreciate the rollback aspect (although some will make the comment that it will not be a complete rollback like was experienced by few in the past). I am a bit concerned about throughput. The switch track is just one more possible thing to break down. Plus before the ride took 18 seconds (10 to clear the top hat). Once the top hat was cleared a new coaster could be (actually already was) put in place. With the new design it will be longer to slide the new car onto the track. Plus the next car can't be put on until the first one clears the top hat (after 3 launches). Seems like the wait will be longer (no more staging/loading 2 vehicles at a time) and the posibility to go down will be greater (with the addition of the switch track). Both are things that should have been avoided at all costs in my opinion. As for the name....UGH. I was sure they would have stayed away from the previous name entirely because of the previous incident. For those of us old enought to remember another re-used ride I shall come to call it Top-Thrill Re-Run! (Rest in peace Avalance).
-
Rides Department Budget Cuts
There is also probably cost in solution/soap for the truck. Just a guess.
-
2023 General Kings Island Discussion
BTW on the webcams looks like they are getting ready to do a run through of the carnival parade.
-
2023 General Kings Island Discussion
I got it as well. 3 times It only allowed me to take it once though.
-
2023 General Kings Island Discussion
Was impressed as well. Although my 2nd cousin and her family (who have a special needs kid) drove an hour to get to the park and ended up leaving because there was simply too many people. The difference this year from what I understand was last year it was only Ohio participants in A Kid Again and this year more states were involved. That along with the nice weather after a rainy Saturday really overcrowded both sides of the park. (I felt really bad for those kids with breathing problems when the air quality hit 156 (unhealthy) around 4 oclock). But yes, the employees did an AMAZING job and seemed to handle the crowds along with security who seems to be overly busy as well. Great job KI!
-
Platinum Pass to be Replaced by Passport
I see the simplification. Actually I would go a step further and get rid of prestige. Make preffered parking, single use fastpass per visit, vip acces add-ons to the gold pass as well and then add the passport on to be able to use the benefits at all parks. Trust that those surveys the've been sending out aren't just for fun. They gather information we are not privy to and is used to guide the parks decision.
-
Rides Department Budget Cuts
I think this is just a sign of the times. I've noticed short lines on Diamondback on the web cams early in the days. Remember they raised the cheapest price of a gold pass from 99 to 120 last year. I think this price point proved to be where some people decided not to renew or buy a gold pass. This in turn with the presige pass not selling as well as they expected (the VIP area's are almost wasted space it seems as I don't notice alot of people in them). That on top of it seems the entire amusement industry is experiencing lower numbers. Remember it's not just Disney in Florida, but also Universal that is experiencing a downturn in attendance. We are entering a post pandemic world where more and more local options are available. Disney and KI were also bolstered by a 50th anniversary season which would naturally increase attendance. Looks like the 24 seat SolSpin was the right call I think we may see Gold Passes on sale for 110 this year early promo price to try and get revenues up a little and a small increase in the annual meal plan. Either way, after the extra year they gave us during COVID, I'm standing by Cedar Fair and will continue to buy my passess and meal plans. That move by the park impressed me and I still find it a great value. It's just a though, y'all have a good day.
-
Don Helbig
Best of luck Don. Thanks for all the conversations in the past and here's to more when I see you in the park in the future! Oh, and WHO DEY
-
Top Thrill Dragster Incident
The JR Arcade wasn't open when I went earlier in the year. I wonder why have an arcade so close to the Coloseum arcade. Unless they have other plans for the Coloseum, like a dark ride maybe?
-
Kings Island’s Special 4th of July night show
Was there and saw it with my grandkids. Absolutely amazing and everything seemd to go off without a hitch. The first section didn't have drones and when the second section started the couple behind me and I went "here come the drones"! We were both looking for them. They obviously wanted to make sure they had enough battery to last the section of the show they were in (the lasted the rest of the presentation). I found it odd that drones are now an expected thing after only 1 year. That being said they do add alot to the show and it was definitely worth going to the park to see! Well done by all involved!
-
Kings Island 2023 Food News and Reviews
Of the June specials the Reuben was the best in my opinion. Looking forward to trying the French Dip this month.
-
Kings Island 2023 Food News and Reviews
Also it looks like Wishbone grill is getting into the Specials act (and it's included in the dining plan!)
-
Kings Island 2023 Food News and Reviews
-
Kings Island 2023 Food News and Reviews
-
Fury 325 Support Failure
It surpises me that they don't already use drones to inspect tracks on roller coasters. Seems like they should be able to get a scan of the entire structure, weld points, joints, etc. and after getting one visual confirmation of a "good scan" it can then be compaired frame by frame to new scans and possible anomilies be identified. I would think 2-4 drones per park could be used to scan coasters on a weekly rotation. Finally it would also seem that putting a camera on the front or rear car would also provide a video feed that could be accessed and assessed during the day every hour or two. Hopefully these technologies will be implimented sooner rather than later to increase the ability to finid/inspect anamolies on coasters.
-
2023 General Kings Island Discussion
That's what is stated now on the website.
-
Wolfpack building activity
Just a though but Wolf Pack had a couple of animatronic pieces that could probably be put into a new maze where Blackout was. Maybe they even keep the name the same.