Update: New Names for KD Attractions Announced

Hey guys, not sure if this has already been posted....I couldn't find it at least. Anywho, here are the names for Tomb Raider and IJ at Kings Dominion.....The Crypt and Backlot Stunt Coaster. Despite that some say the names are still being finalized for the rides at Kings Island, I find that HIGHLY unlikely. Simply because the merchandise orders for these new names were already being placed in late October. I'd be very surprised if our attractions did NOT bear the same names as KD's. All that remains is Top Gun, which from everything I've been told is to be renamed Flight Deck.

http://www.kdconnection.com/forums/index.p...0entry539 <--- please see for new logos of attractions

- Todd

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like those names but Flight Deck. I mean come on!!!!

Did anyone honestly expect a lot of creativity with Cedar Fair? Just take a look back at the name changes that took place at Geauga Lake, that should have been your first clue :-) None the less, guess we'll see what happens when the *official* word comes out.

- Todd

Those are the same names someone told me in Oct. B)

Thats about when I was told as well. Again, thats why I find it incredibly hard to believe it when someone posts that the names are still being tossed around and decided on. Maybe on a few smaller things, but the rides needed to be decided quite some time ago from a merchandise point of view. Considering that the Merch. Dept goes back to work in February and begins the process of setting up all over again, one might imagine that the new product will be rolling in soon.

- Todd

I would rather see Top Gun renamed to Thunder Road.

I think Swoop would have been a better choice than either Thunder Road or Flight Deck at this point. But a name like Flight Commander, Flight Cadet, Flying Ace would've been even better.

The new names they chosen for KD's rides could've been better, but they aren't too bad. Does this mean that ours and CW's will be Backlot Stunt Track, or will all 3 be Stunt Coaster. And will the Face/Off and Drop Zone names stay minus movie poster references? Nothing is mentioned about KD's Drop Zone.

Okay so Kings Dominion already has already updated their website with the new names. What I think is that the Crypt is a good name, but I think it wold of been better fitting for Kings Islands. Where on Kings Dominon's I think it would of been fine just as Firefall. Backlot Stunt Coaster is about retarded really, but we knew their wouldn't be too much creativity going on here. You know what would of made a good publicity campaign though is if each park had a name the ride contest. Heck Dollywood had a "Name the Park" contest before opening up Splash Country.

I like those names but Flight Deck. I mean come on!!!!

I saw this on the KD source forums this morning & I'm like "come on CF where's the creativity?" I mean I can deal with the crypt for their top spin but I would've preferred a name like Xcelerator for IJ:TC.....just replace the mini cooper themed cars with hot rod themed ones like those on Xcelerator at KBF.

Hey, at least they are not recycling ride names at other Cedar Fair parks just yet. I mean, why would they name a ride at Kings Island after a ride at Knott`s Berry Farm. Personally, I have no problem if they rename Italian Job Stunt Track to Backlot Stunt Track. And the theming for Tomb Raider the Ride would still make sense if the ride was renamed The Crypt. The more interesting thing to look for (besides the name changes) is what and how the theming on these attractions will change (if at all).

I'd still rather see Tomb Raider go western and fit in with Rivertown. Just set out that old cigar store indian in front of the cave.

I agree with you. As much as I respect TRTR, I think the ride has the most flaws out of any in the park. The theme worked for the couple years it worked but it obviously does not work anymore. I say keep it inside. The building really needs work because it really destroys the Rivertown atmosphere. thats my personal opinion.

I think thats an excellent idea. I would paint one train blue and gold for the blue angels, representing the United States Navy, and another train red and white for the thunderbirds, representing the USAF.

Actually the Thunderbirds red white and blue like here, but I like the idea:

4.jpg

Maybe both can be a Dueling Dragons type coaster. You can choose to be a USAF pilot or a Navy pilot.

I'd still rather see Tomb Raider go western and fit in with Rivertown. Just set out that old cigar store indian in front of the cave.

I agree with you. As much as I respect TRTR, I think the ride has the most flaws out of any in the park. The theme worked for the couple years it worked but it obviously does not work anymore. I say keep it inside. The building really needs work because it really destroys the Rivertown atmosphere. thats my personal opinion.

Well their are some Crypts around Kings Island. So it could fit in with Rivertown its not that far off. I know one was found around the nature center.

Yeah, supposedly there is one out behind the train and WWC, behind the housing that buts up to the property by the high tension lines on the south side of the park. An Indian burial ground supposedly. If this is true or not I don't know, but hey thats what makes it interesting, and I dont believe it anyways.

Hey, at least they are not recycling ride names at other Cedar Fair parks just yet. I mean, why would they name a ride at Kings Island after a ride at Knott`s Berry Farm.

Because they just renamed every Paramount haunted event after the Halloween Haunt at Knott's Berry Farm.

How about Backlot Xcelerator for IJ?

I was referring to a previous poster who had asked where the Cedar Fair creativity was. The very next sentence, he asked what was wrong with naming IJ Xcelerator. I was merely pointing out that copying names from other parks isn`t being creative.

Not every haunt at Halloween Haunt was renamed based on a Haunt at Knotts`s Berry Farm. CornStalkers, Massacre Manor, the Worksite, and the Cemetery all had the same names that they had in 2006. Additionally, Kings Island has used the name Massacre Manor for a haunt prior to Cedar Fair purchasing Paramount Parks. The original Massacre Manor was housed in a tent behind the Eiffel Tower in 2005. The attraction dates to 2004 when it was dubbed Sleepy Hollow Horror. In 2006 and 2007, the haunt that was housed next to the Scrambler was dubbed Massacre Manor (the original name of this haunt was House of Darkness). But that is a lot more information then you probably cared to get from me!

Just take a look back at the name changes that took place at Geauga Lake, that should have been your first clue

I remember that. Batman Knight Flight didn't even change colors. Steel Venom? Like that already hasn't been used a thousand times!

When it comes to naming rides, I always imagine a little boy telling his parents he want's to ride "Fill in the blank" next.

Can you imagine, "Hey mom, I want to ride Backlot Stunt Coaster!"?

Terrible. Not only are they crappy names, but don't just use every name over and over again!