BLSC Theming?

CedarPointer

I was really looking forward to this ride when it was announced, was really bummed when it didn't live up to the hype.

Thought it was ok when it first opened, was really bummed again when half the effects stopped working right after it opened.

Thought the new CF name, Backlot Stunt Coaster, and the new CF signs around the ride were good. Again was really bummed when it became clear that Cedar Fair would not invest anymore into the theming upkeep, not even a minimal effort, the ride looks the worst it ever has looked these days.

Let's see, things in the video that never were built:

- The billboards and fake highway beneath the drop immediately following the 88 degree banked turn.

- The flower bed and landscaping before the subway "tunnel" stairs.

- Flame effects as elaborate as the ones in the video.

- Landscaping around the splashdown and billboard.

The ride opened with some of the effects working. I can only remember a few times actually riding it during the 2005 season where "everything" was working. The following things worked off and on from 2005 - 2006

- On board audio (as far as I can remember, gone after 2005).

- Lights on the vehicles (as far as I can remember, gone after 2005).

- Stair effect (gone after 2005)

- Fog before the tunnel (worked a little bit during the 2007 and 2008 season, now gone)

- Watter effects in the "warehouse"

As the ride opened for the 2009 season it became quite clear that theming is not Cedar Fair's cup of tea (as if you couldn't tell from their wonderful work on The Crypt), the splashdown effect is now completely gone. There are not even light bulbs or speakers on the cars anymore. The fog in the warehouse no longer works, there are no longer any water effects in the warehouse. The "splashdown" area didn't even have water in it the first few weeks this season.

The Crypt and BLSC are the "Disaster Transports" of Kings Island.

- The billboards and fake highway beneath the drop immediately following the 88 degree banked turn.

i thought that turn was steeper than that

The ride opened with some of the effects working. I can only remember a few times actually riding it during the 2005 season where "everything" was working. The following things worked off and on from 2005 - 2006

- Fog before the tunnel (worked a little bit during the 2007 and 2008 season, now gone)

i rode this ride multiple times throughout the first season and the only one i ever saw/felt/heard work was the water effect.

i thought that turn was steeper than that

I'm pretty sure that it was part of the press release that it was 88 degrees. Like I said, I was really into the ride when it opened. Liked the movie, was a fan of Paramount Parks, that was the first year I had my license so I went to KI a lot that season.

i rode this ride multiple times throughout the first season and the only one i ever saw/felt/heard work was the water effect.

A lot of the stuff stopped working very, very soon after opening. I can only remember the lights on the cars themselves working once, on board audio worked on July 4th cause I remember riding it with Boddah1994. Stair effect.... never rode it and had it working but I remember waiting in the station and the trains pulling up and they were just shaking.

One thing that does still work is the "fishtailing" effect that was so heavily promoted, but never really noticeable on the ride. Ride in the last row of the white car and you can really feel it. It's a shame a lot of that stuff isn't kept up... BLSC is a fun, quick little coaster and the crew there is top notch at dispatching quickly and being fun!

most theming does not work, however i have seen the fire and gun fire on most of the time, and one time earlier this year, one of the speakers, in the car behind me that is was on. you could hear it randomly come on. i really didnt even notice it till the end while we were waiting.

The ride never really had a fair chance from the beginning. Somethings would work every now and then, but I don't recall anytime where everything was working together at the same time as was shown in the promo videos. I don't recall the stair effect ever working, although it may have a few times without my knowledge. The audio in the cars themselves was quickly given up on and moved to the station speakers. The headlights worked only a handful of times. The hard water marks that were left on the fiberglass cars from the water effects really didn't help the rides image much since the cars looked old and faded just in the first few months of operation.

I was really looking forward to this ride when it was announced, was really bummed when it didn't live up to the hype.

Thought it was ok when it first opened, was really bummed again when half the effects stopped working right after it opened.

Thought the new CF name, Backlot Stunt Coaster, and the new CF signs around the ride were good. Again was really bummed when it became clear that Cedar Fair would not invest anymore into the theming upkeep, not even a minimal effort, the ride looks the worst it ever has looked these days.

- The flower bed and landscaping before the subway "tunnel" stairs.

- Flame effects as elaborate as the ones in the video.

- Landscaping around the splashdown and billboard.

As the ride opened for the 2009 season it became quite clear that theming is not Cedar Fair's cup of tea (as if you couldn't tell from their wonderful work on The Crypt), the splashdown effect is now completely gone. There are not even light bulbs or speakers on the cars anymore. The fog in the warehouse no longer works, there are no longer any water effects in the warehouse. The "splashdown" area didn't even have water in it the first few weeks this season.

The Crypt and BLSC are the "Disaster Transports" of Kings Island.

*sigh* you should know better :P lemme post this offical POV video from it... maybe it'll look familiar ;)

now 1. the stair effect used to be there. i used to hate it. Diamondback FOF it was just a bumpy area of the track that made it seemed like you were going down stairs. it gave you a headache 2.the fire definately still works cuz it annoyed the heck outta me on tues being as hot as it was. 3. the splashdown effect isn't there because the water "pool" doesn't have proper water flow, and therefore its just a cest pool and therefore unhealthy. and now i know at least last couple years the effects seemed to be working for every other train. but i rode it tuesday and it was just fine :) minus all the water effects

now 1. the stair effect used to be there. i used to hate it. Diamondback FOF it was just a bumpy area of the track that made it seemed like you were going down stairs. it gave you a headache....

The stair effect is not a "bumpy area in the track." If I'm not mistaken, that effect has never worked since day one and was supposed to be achieved by having a big subwoofer placed just under the seat pointed towards your butt and being activated at that particular point during the ride? Can anyone back me up on this?

now 1. the stair effect used to be there. i used to hate it. Diamondback FOF it was just a bumpy area of the track that made it seemed like you were going down stairs. it gave you a headache....

The stair effect is not a "bumpy area in the track." If I'm not mistaken, that effect has never worked since day one and was supposed to be achieved by having a big subwoofer placed just under the seat pointed towards your butt and being activated at that particular point during the ride? Can anyone back me up on this?

Yes. The effect is basically identical to "bass shakers" in home theater seating. Officially called tactile transducers, the low frequency bass sound can also be felt in the seat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactile_transducer - yes I know you can't beleive everything you read on wikipedia, but ...

The basic idea of the stairs effect was to make the ride seem bumpy as you flew down the final hill, making it seem as if you were going down stairs like in the scene of The Italian Job. It was fun when it worked, but it didn't work most of the time as I recall.

I'll back you up since I probably know more about the ins and outs of this ride than most. You are correct, the track itself had no modification for this effect, it was actually all suppossed to be in the audio system, as described, which as we know only worked a handful of times.

The basic idea of the stairs effect was to make the ride seem bumpy as you flew down the final hill, making it seem as if you were going down stairs like in the scene of The Italian Job. It was fun when it worked, but it didn't work most of the time as I recall.

This would depend on what you consider the final hill. I think of coming out of the bilboard as the final hill even though it's a small one and the stairway effect was to occur going down the hill before the coaster train stops for the fire/helicopter effects. If I remember correctly there's a sign at the top of the hill that says "Subway" or there used to be.