Kentucky Kingdom

Better choices as in? Rides or words?

I think it's alright that they have a Drop Tower coming in. I think it was good that they made that sort of disclaimer about the ride. We all get it, but the GP does not. People see what they want to see. I'm sure the GP will correlate Thunder Run with our loveable woodie that is no more and that it killed 24 people when it got stuck upside down in the loop in 2010.

Telling people that this is an entirely new attraction and that it is safe isn't just some PR spin. It is fact (or should be, we'll see next year). People will always bring up the past (see Winterfest discussions) and talk about the shortcomings. This instance, I believe, is a way for Kentucky Kingdom to separate themselves from Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom. It's time to leave the past in the past and focus on the future and I support the park in that thought!

• Like 8

As more and more comes out, I think we should open a KK Days of Operation before Park Closure Pool. Get some votes, make some money, close the doors. This place is starting to make HRP look like it had a chance.

What's going to happen when the park opens and thrives beyond "your" expectations, are you just going to find some other park to bash? Or will you just comment about how none of the flowers grow the way you'd like them to, or how the temperature of the water in the fountains are not to your liking. Nothing good will ever come from those who can't let others grow.

It would be different if most of the water and bulbs were being provided by Hart & Co, and not the full faith and credit of the Commonwealth of Kentucky taxpayers. Beech Bend, Kings Island and Holiday World are not being propped up in unfair competition with the private sector. The same cannot be said of Kentucky Kingdom.

Sure, the first year will do fine. It's years 2-5 that are going to be the difficult years for the Kingdom. That will be particularly the case if the next governor is not a member of the party that Mr. Bruce Lunsford, Mr. Hart's business partner, chaired.

The banks, in the business of assessing risks, were unwilling to lend to this venture without the state's property as collateral. There's a lesson there. Even with that, Messrs Hart and Lunsford still could not borrow the amount they had originally sought.

Severe undercapitalization's effects will set in after the first year. Provided the original team hasn't sold out by then.

• Like 8

It would be different if most of the water and bulbs were being provided by Hart & Co, and not the full faith and credit of the Commonwealth of Kentucky taxpayers. Beech Bend, Kings Island and Holiday World are not being propped up in unfair competition with the private sector. The same cannot be said of Kentucky Kingdom.

Sure, the first year will do fine. It's years 2-5 that are going to be the difficult years for the Kingdom. That will be particularly the case if the next governor is not a member of the party that Mr. Bruce Lunsford, Mr. Hart's business partner, chaired.

The banks, in the business of assessing risks, were unwilling to lend to this venture without the state's property as collateral. There's a lesson there. Even with that, Messrs Hart and Lunsford still could not borrow the amount they had originally sought.

Severe undercapitalization's effects will set in after the first year. Provided the original team hasn't sold out by then.

Thats a good point that I never once thought about. Lunsford is a Dem. If a republican is elected and he/she doesnt want to fund just because of he said/she said politics and pulls funding what will happen then...

• Like 1

Securing financing becomes much easier once a business has a record of profitability. If this venture is a success, and Hart doesn't find a buyer, perhaps amendments to KKRC's investment plan will reflect a larger line of credit.

Keeping the agreed-upon figures low could be a bargaining chip for the park operator to seek further concessions from the state in exchange for bigger investments. (Why the state would accept laughably low numbers is the big question here.)

• Like 4

As more and more comes out, I think we should open a KK Days of Operation before Park Closure Pool. Get some votes, make some money, close the doors. This place is starting to make HRP look like it had a chance.

What's going to happen when the park opens and thrives beyond "your" expectations, are you just going to find some other park to bash? Or will you just comment about how none of the flowers grow the way you'd like them to, or how the temperature of the water in the fountains are not to your liking. Nothing good will ever come from those who can't let others grow.

Honestly I am not bashing the park to just bash a park. I hope and wish for all parks to be successful, especially newish ones. But... Having seen enough failure in the industry one can only question the choices and lack of choices that have been made regarding KK. I hope they have something up their sleeve after year 1, but what I see and what they say do not equate to this parks long term success.

• Like 6

Courtesy of the Kentucky Kingdom Facebook page:

"Out with the old and in with the new, won't be long now till coaster footers are in view!

This part of the park has seen much change throughout the years. Picnic grove, haunted house, storage area and now the future site of "Lightning Run!"

16jomxl.jpg

(Photo Courtesy of The New Kentucky Kingdom)

• Like 4

They are called footings. Footers is a slang term. Footings are designed to handle the forces and designed for the soil conditions.

I am studying for my site design and planning test right now for my ARE right now. I take that test on Monday and just was studying about footings and soils reports today.

• Like 11

Footers?

CoastersRZ would not be amused.

They are called footings. Footers is a slang term. Footings are designed to handle the forces and designed for the soil conditions.

I am studying for my site design and planning test right now for my ARE right now. I take that test on Monday and just was studying about footings and soils reports today.

The (Slang) term......"Footers"....always bothers me.....and it bothered me when I quoted it......

But then again, those are the words of a Mulcahy and not a "BeastUnchained"........

• Like 4

I think most people are over-thinking this thing about KK adding a Drop Tower so shortly after the accident with their previous one. I'm pretty sure the local GP would be aware at the very least that the other 2 nearby parks, Holiday World and Kings Island, have safe, working Drop Towers. With that in mind, I don't see why a new Drop Tower wouldn't work at Kentucky Kingdom.

• Like 2

Guys I'm going to the job fair this Saturday as I live fairly close, I'll let you all know if anything interesting happens or if it appears to be organized because I'm expecting quite a few unemployed to be there , if they even saw the message as KK only announced it via social media and their website. It might be the case that not many people show due to not knowing about it but who knows.

• Like 5

The park will have a new position called Kingdom Ambassadors, which will be a group of about 20 people stationed in different areas to answer questions, give directions, enforce park rules and "ensure that any unruly behavior is dealt with immediately," Mulcahy said.

According to Lex18

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

• Like 8

And yet, in recent years, the supposed largest tourist draw in Louisville was Kentucky Kingdom. Which failed.

Don't be such a Debbie downer. We all get it you have something against Kentucky Kingdom. The only reason it closed last time was the old Six Flags pulled out.

It is a fun park and I be going this year.

• Like 3

Why are people considered "Debbie Downers" when they are speaking from a realistic perspective? I hope that KK is a huge success, however, in light of the past events, I am struggling with how it's going to be open more than a handful of seasons. I cannot imagine tax payers being happy to foot the bill. I love amusement parks and I would be unhappy with that.

Parking is one huge issue with me. It was previously for me as well. There are many things that are not making sense to me as far as the entire park goes. The biggest of all is the minimal marketing that has been done. What has been done is bad. If it were me, I would vamp up every single social media outlet I could. It's free, it's cheap. I would do other large media announcements with at least local news. I would have done something huge for the official announcement and more with the announcing of season passes. Doing it late at night really was stupid and not well thought out.

Doing any kind if drop type ride does not seem like a good decision. People won't pay attention to a new ride, different name, etc. they will only remember someone died on "that" ride. (I know no one died, but people think there were people who died on a variety of rides that were only injured in many parks.)

The environment of having unsupervised children running amuck will suck. It is a far different degree than what KI is with unsupervised children and teens.

I was truly hoping the Koch family would own/operate KK. While I am not a huge water park fan, the times I've been to Holiday World have been great. Management is approachable and very visible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

Repeated from the "2014 Plans?" thread so those following only or especially the Kentucky Kingdom thread won't miss it:

I'm also planning on going to Kentucky Kingdom on opening day. As I've said before, I want a front-row seat to what I think will be a fiasco. KK was far from a pleasant experience last time I visited, hopefully they'll surprise me.

First day of the parks reopening is going to be far from pleasant in my opinion. It is going to be hell.

The first day for any new (or re-opened) business is usually difficult. From procedures to employee preparation to the not knowing whether few customers or a stampede will show up.

In Kentucky Kingdom's case, due to the great love the Louisville area and Kentuckiana have for the park, the curiosity, the desire of patrons and politicians to be seen there, the new coaster and rides and to a host of other factors, I strongly suspect a throng of guests will show up.

It will be a stressful day for the managers, employees, security and officials. But it should also be a very rewarding one.

You see, after all the efforts, missed starts, the tears, the fears, the hopes and the dreams, Kentucky Kingdom will be open again. Exhilaration will abound.

• Like 6

I am ALREADY back from the job fair. To me it felt like they could have gone for a slightly larger room. It felt cramped in there. What they did strongly push in the ride operations part was Safety. The man spoke of it and incorporated it into everything he said. So I give them props for how concerned they seemed with safety. The display they used for ride operations was a car from the Roller Skater and it's control panel. He explained how everything worked and that for that ride we would really only need 3 buttons out of the maybe 12 that were on it. Hoping I get the job, he did use me as an example of what happens if I wasn't paying attention and in the end apparently the roller skater cut my hand off because I was giving someone a high 5. Well I wouldn't do that but at least he knows who I am now.

• Like 7

When I worked at the park in the final season under the Six Flags era The park was busy (or what I thought was busy) on Saturdays and was not busy on weekdays. On one Saturday there was a free concert for Toby Mac. The park had at least 15,000 guest inside the park that day. Usually during that time the park held 5,000-10,000 guest on Saturdays. The park was so crowded that day the lifeguards had to push forward the pool divider in the wave pool. I've never seen lines so long at the Kingdom. I remembered working alone in this shack rushing, panicking as I worked alone. Supervisors and management preached on how that was a normal day under the Ed Hart era. Several of my co-workers had walked out on the job. I am not sure how many other workers walked out on that day. For any jobs, first days are usually the hardest. So I wonder how many will be strong enough to make it through the first day.

• Like 7