Kentucky Kingdom

Ed Hart said he wouldn't be advertising in Cincinnati in one of the articles Terpy posted, reasoning that he didn't feel great tip toeing into KI's primary market.  I doubt you'll see ads in the greater Cincinnati area (possibly including northern KY and SE Indiana). 

• Like 5

To further muddy the waters, the print coupon in the IndyStar does not require proof of Indiana residency.  Plus, today's paper featured a bigger color ad (1/4 page) than yesterday's did.  So, if you get your coupon off the website, you must show an Indiana drivers license; if you use the print coupon, the sky's the limit.  Oh, and the free second day must be used the day after the paid day. This is turning into the Krusty the Clown show.

• Like 7

To further muddy the waters, the print coupon in the IndyStar does not require proof of Indiana residency.  Plus, today's paper featured a bigger color ad (1/4 page) than yesterday's did.  So, if you get your coupon off the website, you must show an Indiana drivers license; if you use the print coupon, the sky's the limit.  Oh, and the free second day must be used the day after the paid day. This is turning into the Krusty the Clown show.

Don't expect enforcement to be any different on those paper coupons.  They very may well have inadvertently omitted that line but attempt to verify proof of residency anyway.  Given some stories we've heard this year, that would hardly surprise me.

• Like 6

Part of me is sort of thinking (though its a big stretch) that KK is just really cutting it close on testing T3 in their hopes of opening it on 5/30, but another part of me believes we're going to see the park in a bind that day when (in all likelihood) it won't open despite their boasts.

Have some popcorn ready people.   

• Like 8

2014 was a "smashing success"? Really? Less than 700,000 visitors isn't what I would call a "smashing success" - especially when you have parks like KI drawing millions each season. And only 2 hours from Indy - so is another park that The Kingdom isn't even trying to compete with (because they can't?). Hart is going to have to reach much further than Indy if he expects to meet out-of-state-visitor attendance goals. I may very well stop by there on the way back from Holiwood Nights next weekend just to get whatever coaster credits I can before the park shuts down again.

• Like 5

This all the while the park maintains an online price of $39.95, $49.95 at the gate.  

I kind of wish I were able and willing to go for media day with the possibility of no T3 just to see how its pitched by the park and how that is interpreted by the media.  Then go on the 30th to see the GP's reaction.   

• Like 6

Ed Hart said he wouldn't be advertising in Cincinnati in one of the articles Terpy posted, reasoning that he didn't feel great tip toeing into KI's primary market.  I doubt you'll see ads in the greater Cincinnati area (possibly including northern KY and SE Indiana). 

Given what happened the last time Kentucky Kingdom tried to compete against Kings Island (Can you say $35 million Action Zone expansion, after which SIX moved its money and attention to Six Flags Ohio/Worlds of Adventure?)....

That would seem to be one of Ed's more sound business decisions then...second of course to buying Lightning Run. 

• Like 3

Even considering what happened last time, it doesn't make much sense to me that they'd ignore a major market. How many people in this area actually know that Kentucky Kingdom is still open?

I see your point, but I guess it would come down to how many people they could actually draw from the market with KI so close. I live about the same distance to both parks, a little closer to KK. I have a pass to both for variety's sake. However, if I lived near Cincy, I would spend way more time at KI(and purchase a dining plan) and probably visit KK once a year like I currently do Holiday World. If Hart doesn't think he will draw much from KI's market and will potentially cause investment in KI that will further hurt his numbers, then not advertising there makes sense. It's a gamble either way I suppose so I don't think the lack of advertising in that market is a blunder. 

• Like 4

i know most people wanted the park back, but at least they can do, is give it much better management, and be wise with the amount of rides you put in, it is just like what Dennis Speigel once said at CoasterStock rule of thumb of what you add!

• Like 3

More hubris from today's IndyStar-a full page color ad splashed across the back page of the front section of the paper.  The opening paragraph mentions that KK Is the "fastest growing park in the U.S." and has "risen to international prominence".  Talk about an inflated sense of self worth. 

• Like 11

More hubris from today's IndyStar-a full page color ad splashed across the back page of the front section of the paper.  The opening paragraph mentions that KK Is the "fastest growing park in the U.S." and has "risen to international prominence".  Talk about an inflated sense of self worth. 

That is hilarious.  Then again to go from 0 guests in 2013 to about 600,000 in 2014.  That is some serious growth.

• Like 11

Marketing most of the time is saying exactly what you can get away with legally...0-600,000 guests year over year...That makes their claim probably "technically" true...sounds good to the dumb masses, er GP, but certainly laughable to those of us that follow the industry a little closer than your average park goer. Hopefully for the parks sake they can make a similar claim next year. I'm not holding my breath but I wish them well as I really want to ride a remodeled Twisted Twins in 2016. 

• Like 3