Kentucky Kingdom

Holiday World and Splashing Safari is a single gated attraction. And Kentucky Kingdom, at least at first, will primarily be a water park.

I am aware that it is a single gated attraction- I just wanted to know why he thought the Holiday World portion was overrated. The have 3 great coasters and multiple other attractions, great employees, exceptional food, free drinks, and the park is very clean.

I just wanted to see why he thinks it isn't as good as other people do.

I know a lot of people in Kentucky that want Kentucky Kingdom to open. It might not be the greatest place but it's a place to go for a day trip.

I have no dog in this fight. As I never went and probably never will. But of the many people who do want to go, will they make the trip for a water park? Will they make a trip for a park with rides not running or operating. Ill be honest. If the park wants to attract me, an average park goer, what will they have to attract me from Cincy, just mins north of the KY boarder. Whats going to draw people from Louisville/Lexington/Etc to the park. When it opens/if it opens it sounds like it will be in phases. Phases does not mean many people to me. Best case scenario, from pictures and reading about the current state of the park, the water side opens first. Does Coney Island draw people from across the country of a dip in the wave pool? What will bring people to KK?

• Like 2

Not to say I don't have my doubts about the plan for re-opening KK but I don't know that its fair to compare Coney Island's water attractions with what is standing at KK's water park right now (assuming the whole existing water park opens next May). Those are really two different animals. KK's water park offers a lot more options and a much higher thrill level than anything Coney has.

Not to say I don't have my doubts about the plan for re-opening KK but I don't know that its fair to compare Coney Island's water attractions with what is standing at KK's water park right now (assuming the whole existing water park opens next May). Those are really two different animals. KK's water park offers a lot more options and a much higher thrill level than anything Coney has.

Ok fair point. But would you travel across the country to hang out at the beach? Would you travel hours for just a water park?

Ok fair point. But would you travel across the country to hang out at the beach? Would you travel hours for just a water park?
People don't travel hours for Coney, and it operates just fine.

I think the bigger problem that they will face is the fact that a lot of the patrons seem to have migrated to Holiday World the last few years. Splashin' Safari is (IMO) vastly superior to what KK is now and it would seemingly take years to bring it anywhere close to on par (if that is even the plan). Now there is little doubt that some (perhaps even a vast majority) of those who live in and around Louisville will give KK a chance next May. But how many will go back after that first visit? Can Hart assemble a team that can match the perceived value of HW and level of service that the Koch's have in Santa Claus?

• Like 3

Personally, I don't think I will go out of my way to KK for just a water park when HW is far superior and closer to me. They are going to have to open with some sort of special attraction, not water park related, to pull people away from HW and KI. I want to believe that they will have a good plan while moving forward with the re-opening. I really really want to see the park thrive again.

• Like 2

While at Holiday World while waiting in line for a ride all you hear is people refering to Kentucky Kingdom or Kings Island. Here are several things I hear people say, "I wish Kentucky Kingodm was open, they have rides that go upside down", "Kings Island have the big BIG rides", "Holiday World is just a big waterpark, all they have here is the voyage". I know that Holiday World is a FAMILY park, but its just not worth the drive if your just headed to the dry park and not the water park. It's highly boring.

In the remaining several season of Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom the waterpark was the main draw. Louisville has closed so many public pools, etc in recent years before the closure. so Kentucky Kingdom was basically the only place (or few places) to cool down. When I talk to my friends about the reopening and I tell them about what the park is supposed to be getting. Once I mention waterslides they just become aggravated and shake their head.

While at Holiday World while waiting in line for a ride all you hear is people refering to Kentucky Kingdom or Kings Island.

The few times I've been there, I don't think I heard anyone mention either of those parks.

I do remember hearing about down in Florida they have a Spice Mountain.

• Like 3

While at Holiday World while waiting in line for a ride all you hear is people refering to Kentucky Kingdom or Kings Island. Here are several things I hear people say, "I wish Kentucky Kingodm was open, they have rides that go upside down", "Kings Island have the big BIG rides", "Holiday World is just a big waterpark, all they have here is the voyage". I know that Holiday World is a FAMILY park, but its just not worth the drive if your just headed to the dry park and not the water park. It's highly boring.

In the remaining several season of Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom the waterpark was the main draw. Louisville has closed so many public pools, etc in recent years before the closure. so Kentucky Kingdom was basically the only place (or few places) to cool down. When I talk to my friends about the reopening and I tell them about what the park is supposed to be getting. Once I mention waterslides they just become aggravated and shake their head.

Not worth the drive, highly boring? Seems like they get enough people who disagree with that sentiment. Note: their park is still open.

You talk about waterparks being a main draw, I'd say the attractions and value in the HW water park certainly trumped what was offered in nearby Louisville. Your friends may be aggravated by the water park idea, but many paying customers are not. Holiday World hasn't bolstered their water park to scorn "roller coaster enthusiasts," they do it because it's what their paying customers want.

Ed Hart isn't an idiot, and while I'm skeptical of his proposed plans, he knows what he's doing by opening just the water park first (or it's all he can do). There's a reason Six Flags shifted their attention in that direction as well.

• Like 4

Ark Park was supposed to start construction in 2012 and be open by 2014. They haven't even broken ground yet. I am pretty sure their timetable has been delayed. They have less than 50% of the 24.5M they need to build the first phase. When is Ark Park going to open again? Who is more realistic with their plan? Ark Park ranks right up there with the Cincinnati Streetcar, in terms of worthlessness.

If I was a betting man, and at times I am, I'd place my chips on the plan with some financing and repeated gubernatorial support than the park currently seeking financing that had skeptical gubernatorial support. Who is more realistic with their plan? At this point, I wouldn't say the guy who claimed there'd be a B&M in Louisville in 2015 and is now saying that it's going to be just a waterpark for now. Hopefully his hart is in it though.

As for the streetcar:

"You mad, bro?"

Taking swipes at me just because I don't view the Kentucky Kingdom situation through the same rose colored glasses you do isn't going to help you convince me otherwise.

You know what the main difference is between Kentucky Kingdom and the Cincinnati Streetcar? I'll ride a streetcar through downtown Cincy before I even have the chance to ride a coaster at Kentucky Kingdom.

As long as my Duke doesn't go up to pay for it, you can have it. At the end of the day, nobody is going ride a streetcar filled full of bullet holes. I as a taxpayer don't want to get stuck paying for a paperweight, but apparently those that actually live in the city would prefer that, so more power to them. The city is not fiscally resolve as it stands, better add more debt to make the future that less secure.

I am twice as likely to ride something that is fun and enjoyable, as well as visiting nearby family, as opposed to going for a ride on the death train, but then again, that is just me.

And what financing for Ark Park? Less than half of a 24.5M financing first phase means they don't have any long term financing goals. It wouldn't surprise me to find out the reason they cannot raise funding is because they are too busy sinking money into political pockets. That same notion is probably why the governor didn't want to support Kentucky Kingdom to begin with. They didn't offer to line his pockets, or maybe he is a member of the Ark Park congregation. For as much that is said, what isn't said is just as important.

I guess for a few years, nobody is going to be know which project will end as a success, and which will become a total failure. It's unlikely that both projects can succeed.

Wow... just wow.

The amount of ignorance and misinformation in your most recent post is astounding. I could go through point by point and refute it, but I'll leave it at this: You're that upset that there are people rightfully skeptical of Hart's plan that you want to divert the topic to a debate on a public transit project in the city of Cincinnati?

And what's apparently slowing down Hart is that he's not bribing the right people in a vast Frankfort political conspiracy?

I'd say it's that no one wants to invest in his project and he doesn't have his own capital whereas Holiday World did... and even they backed out.

Hart has plenty of capital. He just prefers to risk other people's money. Even the most recent proposal puts the Commonwealth's leased land at risk of foreclosure should the venture fail. Profits go mostly to Hart and Co. Much of the risk of loss goes to the people of Kentucky. Ed. He's all hart.

• Like 1

"I SAID HEADING TO HOLIDAY WORLD FOR THE DRY PARK ALONE"

You guys have your own opinions, and Idk how many times a you guys visited the park. I'm just giving you guys my opinion and the opinions of people who visited Holiday World from my area. If you agree you agree, If you disagree, you disagree.

what are you guys talking about Ed Hart just opening the water park first? He's opening the entire park besides Twisted Twins and Greezed Lighting. Twisted Twins is my favorite coaster by the way Terp. Just saying.

It seems like you believe they''re a picture perfect family. "It darn near tore that family apart" paha, your soft. I honestly believe they is just like any other family in reality. What we see on TV is nothing but just a fake reality show. And what we see at the park while they're there is nothing but business to make money.

• Like 1

I would like for KK to re-open as I never got to visit while it was open. I am a bit sad that Chang was moved to New Jersey, after riding it's re-incarnation this past summer, I thoroughly enjoyed it. So here is hoping that if KK opens, they have a great B&M coaster.

• Like 3

I've never been either and I was upset when it closed.

However, time has taught me many things and one of them is that many people cry over spilled milk but I'm happier just moving on. Life is painful and bad things happen. I heard good reasons why KK failed and perhaps it was time. If Hart revives it, great! I may even get there some day but I'm not placing much emotional weight on it anymore.

• Like 3

I've never been either and I was upset when it closed.

However, time has taught me many things and one of them is that many people cry over spilled milk but I'm happier just moving on. Life is painful and bad things happen. I heard good reasons why KK failed and perhaps it was time. If Hart revives it, great! I may even get there some day but I'm not placing much emotional weight on it anymore.

I would have to agree! I kind of feel the same about the whole Geauga Lake situation. As many have said on this thread, we'll see it when it happens. I'm personally just looking forward to have another place to go if it happens.

• Like 3