Something big announced 3-18-11?

Shaggy

Something else to consider:

What we know:

Action Theater will be operating this year, according to earlier reports from the park

Despite that, it was removed from the park's website

Spongebob 3D is getting old

What we should consider: This.

As soon as Cedar Fair purchased Six Flags: Worlds of Adventure, they changed the park's simulator from "Mission: Bermuda Triangle" (a Seaworld installation) to I-Werk's "Dino Island II: Escape From Dino Island."

The Dino Island franchise is one of iWerks more famous simulator franchises. It would be entirely logical that Cedar Fair would bring this successful film to Kings Island to replace our aging simulator ride film. Both "Spongebob 3D" and "Dino Island II: Escape from Dino Island" are made by I-Werks, and thus the simulator we have could almost certainly be synchronized to either film very simply.

And if Cedar Fair still owns some of the props that they had in Geauga Lake's Dino Island queue, then they have big, themed tanks designed to look like the ride-vehicle shown in the pre-show, a Son-of-Beast-esque shaking metal box with roaring coming from within, etc.

Because ya'll are right - it's either really late or really early to hint at (much less announce) either a 2011 or 2012 ride. But a simulator film switch-out? Why not? The focus is on Coney Mall this season, anyway... It's fast, it's cheap, and it's marketable. The more I think about it, the more I'm convincing myself. It's just so simple, and makes so much sense... We shall see.

Helpful hint... SEE POST 71 BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS THREAD:D

Dinosaur animatronic exhibits have been popular in zoos for a few years, I don't believe KI would bring in the same atmosphere. Especially since KI already had the exhibit 11 years ago. Back then, robot dinosaurs were a good draw. I don't see the same draw today.

I won't say it's not gonna happen, but, given that the park already had this at one time, and the energy being created by the park's marketing department, it does not add up.

Now I did think of another possible idea: could this be the press release for 4th of July activities? KI has had a history of big 4th events.

Hmmm. Good points. It seems a little to elaborate and has too many specifics to seem like a hoax to me. Maybe they're covering something but, I don't think so.

Dinosaurs Live is a traveling exhibit and a huge hit in Fort Wayne. IDK how popular the show is in other demographics but it was a hit here.

the press release linked a couple pages ago says that they were discovered May 20 and extinction occurs June 18 (my school's last day, arghhh), that's not very long so I'd guess it's a temporary exhibit.

As soon as Cedar Fair purchased Six Flags: Worlds of Adventure, they changed the park's simulator from "Mission: Bermuda Triangle" (a Seaworld installation) to I-Werk's "Dino Island II: Escape From Dino Island."

The Dino Island franchise is one of iWerks more famous simulator franchises. It would be entirely logical that Cedar Fair would bring this successful film to Kings Island to replace our aging simulator ride film. Both "Spongebob 3D" and "Dino Island II: Escape from Dino Island" are made by I-Werks, and thus the simulator we have could almost certainly be synchronized to either film very simply.

But I've never seen Dino Island I!!! I'll be completely lost if I see the sequel first!

I can't really see Cedar Fair doing an animatronic dinosaur walk-through attraction, or making a huge deal out of announcing it, if they did do one. My guess is that they are dropping hints for a 2012 attraction.

Something else to consider:

What we know:

Action Theater will be operating this year, according to earlier reports from the park

Despite that, it was removed from the park's website

Spongebob 3D is getting old

What we should consider: This.

And if Cedar Fair still owns some of the props that they had in Geauga Lake's Dino Island queue, then they have big, themed tanks designed to look like the ride-vehicle shown in the pre-show, a Son-of-Beast-esque shaking metal box with roaring coming from within, etc.

Because ya'll are right - it's either really late or really early to hint at (much less announce) either a 2011 or 2012 ride. But a simulator film switch-out? Why not? The focus is on Coney Mall this season, anyway... It's fast, it's cheap, and it's marketable. The more I think about it, the more I'm convincing myself. It's just so simple, and makes so much sense... We shall see.

Not to mention...I can see several of those props being used for Haunt, specifically for Urgent Scare. Like having an Army member standing atop the guard tower warning those about the quarantine zone:

DinoIsland_entrance.jpg

And even possibly using the hangar facade as part of a military base under siege in the last third of the haunt:

DinoIsland_building.jpg

But of course, that would be WAY too much theming for both Kings Island's Haunt AND the park itself in general...:P

The hanger is actually still standing at Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom - one of the few structure from the "old" park that still is.

But yes, the guard tower was actually the first thing that came to mind. Humorously, it was originally used by Six Flags Ohio to denote the entrance to an animatronic dinosaur walk-through similar to what's being described here. During the transformation to Geauga Lake, it was re-used as the entrance to the (coincidentally) dinosaur themed simulator.

DinoIsland_theming.jpg

When the ride was Mission: Bermuda Triangle, the queue was filled with rusty, wrecked submarines and airplanes. When it was converted to Dino Island, they were painted pastel orange and green and yellow and given the Dino Institute logo. The submarine also had wheels added, and voila - you got an external view of the "vehicle" you were about to ride in. And like I mentioned, the steel crate above had flashing lights, and dinosaur roars came from it with a booming bass that shook the ground. Not sure if items like that were scrapped... But they'd be nice to have scattered along the long, long walk through Action Theater's queue. They could also be used, as you said, as crashed war vehicles during Haunt and Urgent Scare.

2224989128_e1fb7b4c2f.jpg

I just feel like it's extraordinarily possible that this sort of thing is what they may have planned (if indeed they have anything planned at all). It's so natural. Spongebob is getting old. They may or may not have already-constructed props for the Dino Island ride. I-Werks made both and could simply reprogram the simulators as they did each time the film changed. And it would revitalize the Coney Mall area even further. Plus, it's a movie that Cedar Fair did use at its old park, so it's a natural fit.

EDIT:

You can watch a clip of Dino Island II (interspersed with clips from its pre-show, which played in a separate pre-show room at Geauga Lake, but could easily just play on the outdoor monitors at Kings Island):

That is a really good possibility. We have all been complaining for sometime about the theatre not being used to capacity.

Now the Dino-Island movie simulator deal I can see happening...perhaps salvaged from GL. Both ideas, however, add up to a collective yawn.

It does add up to a collective yawn. But at least something is changing that we have been asking for. :)

Something I've noticed, with all the WindSeeker/Coney photos being posted by the park I've realized that a section of coney has not been photographed at all, weather it be by chance or potentially there doing more construction / demo then we really realize.

mapcolorconey.jpg

This photo represents 3 locations of interest.

Red = The abandon Coney Potato works food stand along with the abandon Flight Commander queue line. This area hasn't been photographed at all, which makes me wonder if they are doing construction/demo at this location secretly. I'm more interested in what they do with this area more then anything.

Yellow = Flight Commander ride pad / Euro Bubbles along with the grass field once occupied by Cinema 180* / Lazer Tag. This area isn't photographed often in the construction photos which seems strange.

Blue = X-Base and Trail of Terror woods. This area fits the "silly band" thus making it subject to construction interest.

coneyfastpitcharea.jpg

http://www.visitking...tion_update.cfm

Kings Island recently posted a Coney Mall construction update, notice how fencing is gone, Fast Pitch looks different and its hard to tell if the food stand is still standing.

Just something I've noticed. B)

I think you have a very good point, but you have to think about this. Most of the blue area is the ride maintenance buildings. Also, they still haven't announced where Wind Seekers queue will be, so I think that will take up the yellow square. There really isn't many rides that could take up that red spot..

In my experience as a frequent guesser of "what's coming next", just when it looks like all the pieces fit, the reality ends up being something that was not even on my radar. For example, before Maverick was announced at Cedar Point 4 years ago, I had convinced myself and many others over at P & C-buzz that a new B & M machine was coming. It all made sense. All the signs were there. An Intamin "terra-coaster" was not even on the radar. Similar happenings around SkyHawk.

My point is, the more I think about the Dino movie idea (complete with dino-themed walkthrough), the more it makes sense, which actually makes me think the more wrong I am about the whole thing.

I wish Cedar Fair would play games with actual clues like HersheyPark did with the announcement of Fahrenheit, and again with their secret project 2012 (just google the "Ride Institute of Technology" to see what they are up to).

Now THAT would be fun.

The thing that leads me away from the Dino-themed movie idea is the picture of the Don with the map. If it were going to be something for this year it seems like it would have been noted in such a way that made it much easier to see, even from the picture posted. Some people weren't even sure Action Theater was on the map at all from that picture. I also can't imagine that they would announce a new movie in action theater for 2012 in March of 2011. I think something bigger is in the works here.

I also can't imagine that they would announce a new movie in action theater for 2012 in March of 2011. I think something bigger is in the works here.

What Don was looking at was the proof of a map. It wasn't completed - it didn't have any of the flashy graphics that are usually positioned around the map, and it wasn't labeled. It was just the image with a list of restaurants and shops along the side.

Also, I wasn't talking about 2012... How long do you think it takes to change out a movie and re-program a simulator's motions? Maybe a few weeks... Maybe.

How long do you think it takes to change out a movie and re-program a simulator's motions? Maybe a few weeks... Maybe.

The seats arn't programed themselves its the ride Central Computer (or whatever you call it) that gets reprogramed, thus it COULD happen in a day's work from some people from Iwerks,

Guest PizzaBaby027

I zoomed in very close and it seems as if Kings Island has dropped the paramount style map appearance and has finally gone CF on us! Or maybe it seems that they have added more color, they have no longer pushed all the rides and areas together but the map looks very different from years past and looks more detailed. Just me though.

Something big is coming.

It's official.

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/public/park/mud/index.cfm

The theme appears to be 'mud.' It's in the URL, it's on the home page, and it's the background image of the teaser page. Also, this must be a worthwhile announcement considering that the main advertising space for season passes has been turned into a five-slide advertisement for this announcement. Again - a new coaster? Probably not.

We shall see!

Guest PizzaBaby027

Don is horrible, I love him but my gosh come on thats not a teaser that a brutal torture. I figure its going to be a maze of some sort, an animal kingdom of some sort. Pre historic, Jurassic. A jurassic maze/walk thru.

Well, if they have replaced advertisements for season passes with this teaser stuff, what does that suggest? That whatever this announcement is about, is intended to help drive season pass sales for THIS season. That would be a logical assumption. Only one week until the 18th.