KI Throwback Photo of The Day

TheBEASTunchained

Fantastic photos, Shaggy! Thanks so much for sharing.

Regarding the Phantom Theater picture, I feel as though the ride is well remembered and dearly missed by most members of the enthusiast community, but that specific scene (the Pepper's Ghost Effect) seems to be forgotten.

I find it interesting to note that BBOBH's library room was built over top where the Pepper's Ghost Effect scene was. The PGE room was substantially lower than the library is, so I've always wondered whether there remains a basement of sorts down there.

When BBOBH (actually Scooby's Haunted Castle) took over Phantom Theater, the set upon which the Pepper's Ghost effect took place was "platformed up." Meaning 2x4 lumber was used to build risers and level the floor with the omnimover track. The base of the Phantom Theater Peppers Ghost set was probably about 6-8 feet below the track so there was probably no real room for a "basement."

For those that don't know... the Peppers Ghost scene in PT involved a pass in front of the Theater's "Stage" where the various characters appeared and dissapeared from view. The scene was a direct copy of the one used in Disney's Haunted mansion. The trick is achieved by having the physical animatronic characters located above an below the ride vehicles. Riders were actually staring at reflections of them on a well hidden, enormous pane of glass. This gave people the illusion that you could see through them, and they were appearing at random. It was, by far, the best feature of PT.

Here are two pictures I took many moons ago while walking through the Pepper's Ghost scene in PT. It's an empty set, because the remaining characters were behind me in a darkened, unlit space (the ride was not operating and was slated for demolition at this point.)

img504.jpg

img503.jpg

• Like 24

I have many pics of PT, most of the of the characters up close and personal. I was fortunate enough to see the attraction a number of times with the lights on, walk through it etc. I even went through the workshop that was housed inside where the characters were repaired and replacement masks and costumes were kept.

Here's a picture of me (a looooong time ago....) playing around in one of the "scenes" from Phantom Theater. (It's the "Who's out there? No one's allowed backstage" scene.) Again, the pic is not great - it was nearly impossible to get good pics when walking through the attraction with just work lights on.

img763.jpg

I also have many memories of riding it. I rode it every visit of every year it was in operation. There were minor changes through the years, and many original effects bit the dust after just a season or two. In it's first year of operation, the attraction was insanely amazing. By the final years, the maintenance of it was laughable. One time, while riding, I witnessed one of the character's arm fall off. No joke... in the final boiler room scene.. one of the "How 'bout some heat!" fellas arm fell out of socket and was dangling by his sleeve.

• Like 25

Shaggy, would it be possible to create a new thread and post your collection (or a selection of them) from the Phantom Theater? It was also one of my favorites and I have some great memories from that ride and that time period. I'm sure there are many of us on here that would appreciate them!

• Like 5

I also have many memories of riding it. I rode it every visit of every year it was in operation. There were minor changes through the years, and many original effects bit the dust after just a season or two. In it's first year of operation, the attraction was insanely amazing. By the final years, the maintenance of it was laughable. One time, while riding, I witnessed one of the character's arm fall off. No joke... in the final boiler room scene.. one of the "How 'bout some heat!" fellas arm fell out of socket and was dangling by his sleeve.

I can't say I'm surprised. It got pretty disgusting inside there, too. The glass at the Pepper's Ghost effect section was COVERED in spit and gum; same for the section where you would see the posters for each character, and then a light would shine on the posters and you could see the character behind the poster. Those posters would get absolutely disgusting by season's end. It was a real shame.

• Like 1

Since the "Peppers Ghost" effect was mentioned, here is a short documentary that tells the story of Disney's Haunted Mansion (and exposes its old parlor tricks). I love this doc and thought it was appropriate to share. The Haunted Mansion is among my favorite dark rides.

[\youtube]

[\youtube]
  • Like 8

aah.... KI used to have penguins?!?!?! awesome!!! I was too young to remember the diving show or animal safari. I was only 4-5 in 1989 and we didn't visit KI much when we were little.

• Like 2

If failing to capitalize the names of rides is being scrutinized, then so should any abbreviations, the use of unofficial names, and any name ride that doesn't have the little TM next to it for "trademark".

Terms of Service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Like the dolphin pictures! Still glad that tank is gone though.

5359862113_03f5a63049_z.jpg

untitled6 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

I remember opening weekend they had Fast Lane passes. I was 15 or 16 at the time and my parents dropped me off at the park. I had rode that ride about 10 times using the passes on opening weekend of the ride. I thought it was one of the coolest rides there. About a year later I learned not.

• Like 3

If failing to capitalize the names of rides is being scrutinized, then so should any abbreviations, the use of unofficial names, and any name ride that doesn't have the little TM next to it for "trademark".

Terms of Service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though that post is a month and a half old, you still, in that amount of time, couldn't figure out that all my trademark complaints in all the threads I discussed it were directed towards Cedar Fair and not KIC. smh....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...