Defunct themeparks

I'm going to go with Six Flags New Orleans.....

I just really feel sad everytime I drive by it....

..... A staple in the New Orleans skyline, slowly and sadly crumbling down from the sky.

I have a feeling that the screams of Jazzland wont be heard again.....

I think you will hear those screams in a major motion picture coming out soon......

I love discussions like this because it lets me look into and read about park closures....

As for Opryland, more directly at Terp, which do you believe that the park was torn down because of the reasons stated at the time or what the new CEO stated in 2001 that the former owners/operators didnt even try....

• Like 1

I've not visited many theme/amusement parks that are now defunct except for a couple. Those were Americana and Fantasy Farm. Of the two, I feel like Americana could've been reopened and made a comeback. It was a nice little park with lots of classic rides. Fantasy Farm? I'm not sure. I don't know if it really needs to be brought back or not, but it would be cool to go back in time and experience it again at the age I am now. I have very vague memories about it, but can't remember it in detail. It would be fun to experience it again the way it was in the 80s.

• Like 1

Simple. Opryland. My first park, first Coasters, etc. I loved my trip and the older I get, the less I remember. The one time I visited that Mall, I had no idea where I even was. I kept looking for signs for the park on the interstate. It wasn't until we got home and I did some research that I learned the horrible truth. I have never returned to that Mall.

Shark, I believe the owners just gave up on the place and wanted it gone. They had visions of a huge Bank Account with minimal investment. Especially when compared to maintaining a Theme Park.

• Like 2

I'd say Geagua Lake, Six Flags Worlds of Adventure era. Yes, I know we wouldn't have the amazingness that is Firehawk, but before the park closed down, it had (in my opinion) one of the most unique and diverse coaster collections ever. It had all the thrill rides of the new millennium such as a Vekoma Flying Coaster, a Floorless and an Impulse mixed with the old-school Double Loop and Big Dipper, plus a Vekoma Boomerang and an SLC. I've never personally been there, but it sounded really cool.

• Like 6

Well, I've actually never been on a Boomerang or an SLC, so that might be part of the appeal, but also I love Firehawk. Part of this has to do with me loving the time period of the 90's and early 2000's and everything related to that. So, because Firehawk was a product of the early 2000's (2001 to be exact), I pretty much think it's one of the greatest things since sliced bread (not really, but I think you get the point...). Specifically, I think it's cool that Vekoma Flyers (along with Floorless and Impulse coasters) were the pinnacle of roller coaster technology back in the day (not to mention the hot new rides of its time, much as Wing Coasters, Rocky Mountain Hybrids and B&M Gigas are the next big things today). Finding a ride like that today is like finding a living artifact from that time period that allows you to experience life as it was. So, long story short, I like Firehawk because of my rose-colored nostalgic view of the 90's and early 2000's (and it's a pretty good ride, too!). :D

• Like 8

I'd say Geagua Lake, Six Flags Worlds of Adventure era. Yes, I know we wouldn't have the amazingness that is Firehawk, but before the park closed down, it had (in my opinion) one of the most unique and diverse coaster collections ever. It had all the thrill rides of the new millennium such as a Vekoma Flying Coaster, a Floorless and an Impulse mixed with the old-school Double Loop and Big Dipper, plus a Vekoma Boomerang and an SLC. I've never personally been there, but it sounded really cool.

It was indeed.

How is a Vekoma Flying Coaster, a Vekoma Boomerang, and a SLC a good thing? :)

Geauga Lake had some well maintained and aging well Vekomas. Many people, including this poster felt GL's SLC was the smoothest out there, and found it somewhat enjoyable.

• Like 5

And the Boomerang was undoubtedly the smoothest this writer has ever ridden.

And that Boomerang is fantastic in its new home, too. And the new trains are a very nice improvement over the standard Vekoma ones and, though I hate to say it, the Arrow trains that a lot of Boomerangs use. The Carolina Cobra was my first (non-inverted) Boomerang and it led to a pretty severe disappointment when I rode the ones at Darien Lake and Canada's Wonderland.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...