Boo Blasters on Boo Hill TLC

MaestroMan

Remember when Kings Island had three very respectable, world-class indoor dark ride experiences?

TOMB RAIDER: The Ride, Flight of Fear, and Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle?

Scooby Doo was a masterpiece compared to Boo Blasters.

I rode it last week. Your experience begins in the creepy and haunting antechamber where the greatest hits of summer 2013 set a haunted, forgotten, and uninhabited tone, lit by that eerie, spine-tingling fluorescent shine that only high-definition TVs can produce. Inside your vehicle, most of the guns don't work (let's hope Junior doesn't end up at a broken one! Oops!) and even if they do, half of the targets don't (which is downright jolly on a ride that is essentially lifeless unless the broken targets get activated by broken guns). Can't see where you're aiming anyway - no lasers (unlike the other parks' versions).

Many of the ride's effects don't work. I initially typed "animatronics" but that would be a misnomer wouldn't it? I'm thinking specifically of a turntable (the chasing tourist scene) and a hinge (the skeletons in bed) that apparently aren't worth fixing this year. Maybe next year! I find it funny that someone on an earlier page suggested that they've just forgotten to turn on the fog screen. If so, the person who's meant to turn it on each morning has overslept since the week after the ride opened, and I'd personally buy him an alarm clock if it would solve the problem. Useless and meaningless finale, too. (The same finale, by the way, makes for an awesome scene when the ride operates with individual carts, like at Kings Dominion.)

It's downright sad. I feel as though the constant driving force and thought behind park operations should be, "How would this come across to a first time guest?" Even ignoring the things a first-time guest wouldn't notice (because they don't know what's supposed to happen, i.e. fog screen, visible lasers, etc) the state of the ride is abysmal and embarrassing. 

• Like 8

And I don't think that KI will invest in this ride any longer. I'm calling it...this ride gets replaced for 2016. Not sure if they will replace it with another themed shoot 'em up or not, but I feel like something is going in there for 2016. Don't have any insider information, just an educated guess.

• Like 3

What's weird is they added that cool Boocifer to the beginning of the ride this year... while neglecting many of the problems. I'd think they were just milking the end of its life, but then why put in something new? I guess maybe it is something they can carry over to its replacement.

I have not been yet this year, could you please explain what the new Boocifer addition is? I'm very curious now, thanks!

• Like 2

What's weird is they added that cool Boocifer to the beginning of the ride this year... while neglecting many of the problems. I'd think they were just milking the end of its life, but then why put in something new? I guess maybe it is something they can carry over to its replacement.

I have not been yet this year, could you please explain what the new Boocifer addition is? I'm very curious now, thanks!

New Boocifer addition? Does anybody have a picture?

Can't take pics on the ride. I believe it's a video screen. It's a 3D rendering of a face that appears in a puff of "smoke" says something ominous and then disappears again. I'm a little hazy on it myself since it's near the beginning and the two times I've ridden it this year I was still wrestling with figuring out which of the guns to use, and its appearance surprised me. It's way more interesting than the 2D cutouts on the rest of the ride.

And I don't think that KI will invest in this ride any longer. I'm calling it...this ride gets replaced for 2016. Not sure if they will replace it with another themed shoot 'em up or not, but I feel like something is going in there for 2016. Don't have any insider information, just an educated guess.

Really hoping with it's Omni mover system, which has good capacity, they don't change that aspect and keep it as a dark ride. But with it's location and the new movie coming out this fall, I am hoping they make it into a classic dark ride themed to Peanuts. And then get a Voyage tot he Iron Reef style interactive dark ride over where Action Theater was. Would be great to have two dark rides in the park, and only need to have one be interactive so be nice to have one in Planet Snoopy that is a classic omnimover dark ride. Peanuts is one that I think could be done well but on a budget too. They aren't very detailed cartoons so could do pretty basic characters and backgrounds and have it looks true to the art.

• Like 2

Really hoping with it's Omni mover system, which has good capacity, they don't change that aspect and keep it as a dark ride. But with it's location and the new movie coming out this fall, I am hoping they make it into a classic dark ride themed to Peanuts. And then get a Voyage tot he Iron Reef style interactive dark ride over where Action Theater was. Would be great to have two dark rides in the park, and only need to have one be interactive so be nice to have one in Planet Snoopy that is a classic omnimover dark ride. Peanuts is one that I think could be done well but on a budget too. They aren't very detailed cartoons so could do pretty basic characters and backgrounds and have it looks true to the art.

I love the omnimover system and hope it stays as well. I feel like it really keeps the line moving fairly quickly. 

• Like 2

I agree the ride system that was put in for Phantom Theater, the omnimovers should defientaly stay. If they go for a Peanuts theme they'll have to do several things. First theyll have to remove the Castle, then theyll have to retheme the queue line and make it less Phantom Theater spooky like. Theyll have to remove most of the queue line features that wont make any sence for Peanuts unless its Halloween themed. Theyll also have to repaint the old Phantom Theater, current Boo Blasters Cars. They will probaly eradicate any of the remaining Phantom Theater remnants, except for the Track and Cars. I really hope we get a dark ride like Phantom, but that just my opinion because I love it so much and would love to see it return. What will end up happening to the Phantom Theater animatronics is my question? I hope theyll use them somewhere. They are full of memories. But hopefully we will continue to see things from Phantom still today during Haunt like the Furnace. Thanks!, thats all of my little rant, I just love Phantom and hate to see anything from it go. but its out of my hands.

• Like 1

Well if they did a Great Pumpkin themed ride they could keep some of the spooky elements to it. But think a bigger refurb would be better than just an overlay, the stuff in there could use a bit of work. And painting the cars and changing the queue room shouldn't cost too much. Can leave it as a fairly generic room just make it a little lighter and paint or new wallpaper and it's good to go. Could put Charlie Brown and Snoopy or someone in the balcony too.

Also with the omnimover system if it goes back to a traditional dark ride again then they could put the cars back ont hat were removed and that would increase capacity even more.

• Like 4

I think a Peanuts dark ride that takes riders through the comics would be cool. Not specifically Great Pumpkin, but everything the Peanuts characters have gone through...sort of like The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh at Disney parks. It would be different and unique from the rest of the park that is mostly full of big roller coasters and thrill rides. 

...but NO interactive ride there. As someone else said, build an interactive ride somewhere else. Two dark rides at KI would be amazing. My only concern is, would they be able to keep it up? Probably not...

• Like 3

Yea that would be great too. Can be a lot of fun without some huge storyline and just be scene like Winnie the Pooh. But between all their specials and the new movie I think they could easily make a storyline through the ride as well.

• Like 1

Well if they did a Great Pumpkin themed ride they could keep some of the spooky elements to it. But think a bigger refurb would be better than just an overlay, the stuff in there could use a bit of work. And painting the cars and changing the queue room shouldn't cost too much. Can leave it as a fairly generic room just make it a little lighter and paint or new wallpaper and it's good to go. Could put Charlie Brown and Snoopy or someone in the balcony too.

Also with the omnimover system if it goes back to a traditional dark ride again then they could put the cars back ont hat were removed and that would increase capacity even more.

I sure hope they keep some of the spooky elements to it. And yes they will probaly use the original Phantom Theater cars that werent used if its not interactive.

I'd personally hope for the omnimover to be removed.

Maybe, just maybe, you could float a few boats in there?

On a whim, theme it to Peanuts characters. A good soundtrack would carry you through a year of peanuts life. Kites flying for spring, baseball for summer, football for fall, and sledding for winter.

A dark ride doesn't HAVE to be scary. IE: Enchanted Voyage

• Like 9

That's kind of how I viewed it going for if they didn't do one story through it and did scenes was going through the year. Be kind of like the old Smurf's Enchanted Voyage.

A boat dark ride would be nice but don't see them doing that much work to change it up when they have a good system in place already.

• Like 1

Through the seasons is a great concept. Especially because the Peanuts have done something noteworthy in most every season at one point or another. Great idea. I think a boat ride also helps to slow the pace of an attraction, versus the Omnimover that whisks you through pretty quickly. With a boat, you have to drift and really take it in. That's not a bad thing.

• Like 6