What new attraction would make the best sense for KI?

dropdasher

15 minutes ago, Orion-XL200 said:

Thinking on this lately, I truly think with the news of Coney Island closing down, that Soak City really needs a refresh in the look/feel of it's footprint and a new attraction (or two) in the park.

The last time I was in Soak City (2022) half of the "action river" interactive and splash things were not working, I feel like they could use a handful more tubes for it as well.

Of course Soak City could also use a few shade structures/trees. I struggle walking around the waterpark barefoot and rarely can use water shoes with their lack of arch support, makes me wish there could be a softer type of walkway put in. 

As far as a new attraction, I'd like to see a record breaking (high capacity) water coaster ala Mammoth at Holiday World. 

At this time, I can't believe I'm saying this, I'd favor this over a main park new addition in the next capital project.

I think Soak City getting a facelift could certainly entice more Coney Island goers. They need more slash structures and another river that’s actually lazy

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I think Soak City getting a facelift could certainly entice more Coney Island goers. They need more slash structures and another river that’s actually lazy

Absolutely...I miss the splash features that were on the bridge over the "action river." When I was last in the water park, most of the play structure's interactive features (drop buckets, wheels to turn on and off water, etc.) were not working.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Kenban said:

If the reports are true, SEAS had a ground up new RMC designed for Busch Gardens Williamsburg, but after operating Iron Gwazi for a year they decided to cancel the project and that’s why they instead are going with a family coaster, which is believed to be a B&M family invert.  Reports are the new coaster will be the exact location of the RMC so it will not be possible to build it in the future without changing the design.

The only repeat customers RMC has had are HFE and Six Flags.  I really like the companies coasters, Iron Gwazi is one of the best coasters I have ever ridden, but they really need to work on the maintenance and long term reliability.  A cheap purchase price is not enough, companies often look at the cost over the life of the attraction.

Here’s my thought process. CF and SEAS adding a small amount of RMCs was a testing ground for their other parks. CF took it a step further by adding 3 different types of RMCs in the same year: a hybrid hyper, a traditional hybrid, and a single rail. Had RMC been able to deliver reliable attractions, I’d have no doubt you’d see more of them across both chains. It doesn’t surprise me that SEAS is going with B&M and I’ll be interested to see what Cedar Flags will do considering the merger resulted in the addition of more RMCs that the whole chain is going to have to do maintenance on over the years.

Let's not forget that Cedar Fair caused many of the problems with Steel Vengeance in particular.  It's been said that RMC proposed an entirely new lift hill, CP wanted the more traditional/imposing look.  SV is a giant coaster that's balls to the wall the entire course, with much of Mean Streak remaining.  More wood=more maintenance.  More maintenance=more downtime. But this coaster had to be "CP worthy."

Twisted Timbers is a much smaller coaster and hasn't had nearly the problems that SV has. Much of Hurler was removed and replaced.  And RMC had experience with smaller coasters. And, it's been said that Kentucky Kingdom had thoughts of converting Thunder Run, of which Hurler is a mirror image, so they may have done a feasibility study there.  That would give Twisted Timbers a step forward. (Side note...ironic that old names and a new name have a unconnected similarity...Twisted Sister... Twisted Twins...Twisted Timbers.)

I can't speak to Railblazer.  Prototypes usually have lots of issues. Fiesta Texas is already heavily investing in Wonderwoman modifications.  (Side note: I've heard that Railblazer will not be relocated if/when CGA is demolished due to many welded joints. Is this true?)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I can't speak to Railblazer.  Prototypes usually have lots of issues. Fiesta Texas is already heavily investing in Wonderwoman modifications.  (Side note: I've heard that Railblazer will not be relocated if/when CGA is demolished due to many welded joints. Is this true?)

Every piece of track on RailBlazer is welded to the next piece of track, the entire coaster would have to be cut apart.  If that’s enough to cause it to be scrapped, I cannot answer.  It’s rare for welded coasters to be moved, but it has happened, and should be possible.

These two coasters run a different train design, and a different control system.  Fiesta Texas is having the trains replaced with the trains being used on the 2nd gen, and will have the control system upgraded to also match the 2nd gen.

I suspect with how much needs replaced and upgraded, RailBlazer is unlikely to be moved.  Typically the savings from moving a coaster vs building new is around 50% because of just how much it costs to carefully take down, refurbish, and then build the coaster.  Welded track increases the costs, so would the control system changes, and replacing the trains.  Taken together, just building a new coaster, even if it’s another RMC Raptor seems to make more sense.  But it’s really just speculation.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I read somewhere that when the original raptors were $2-$3 mil so I’m honestly sure any big chain would rather just build a new one as opposed to cutting up and relocating one while risking further maintenance costs.

While I agree, I'd guess with all the site prep, utilities and theming, the overall budget was more.  

If Railblazer is scrapped, I'd guess it would make a great parts inventory for the other single rails in the combined company. Hopefully all four have interchangeable parts. 

• Like 1