NEW CHAPERONE POLICY KI 2023

RedSummit20

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Is it working? I thought so, but it certainly hasn’t fixed everything.

It’s not something that’ll get fixed overnight, that’s for sure. You also have to look at how much attention is on the park when it comes to this type of behavior. You might have a few weeks of calmness, then groups of individuals get into an altercation which gets the attention of local news agencies and paints the park in a negative light. Also with social media influencing these meetups and people being able to livestream these incidents, there’s not a whole lot that can be done ahead of time. 

I often wonder if it’s incidents like these that will influence what type of attractions we get in the future. Will the park decide to opt for more family friendly attractions in attempt to keep families in as opposed to larger, more intense attractions geared towards teenagers?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

Wonder if any of the juveniles arrested were under 15 or if they had a chaperone in park or opted for the rent-a-chaperone .....

The clip only mentioned one arrest, a 19 year old.

I think the policy is unfortunate, but general annoyance and the instances of fighting has been down. I've always contended that the problems aren't with the <16 year old crowd... it is the 16-19 crowd.  I say if you're of legal age and you're in a group that has caused a disturbance:

• Make a PUBLIC display of it
  • Name and mug shot published
  • Ban from Park
  • Fine them maximum amount allowed by law
  • Maybe even spend overnight at Mason PD

ie- make the penalty so extreme that it gives someone a moment of pause before acting out on emotion. Kind of sick of wrist slaps with no sting...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

It’s not something that’ll get fixed overnight, that’s for sure. You also have to look at how much attention is on the park when it comes to this type of behavior. You might have a few weeks of calmness, then groups of individuals get into an altercation which gets the attention of local news agencies and paints the park in a negative light. Also with social media influencing these meetups and people being able to livestream these incidents, there’s not a whole lot that can be done ahead of time. 

I often wonder if it’s incidents like these that will influence what type of attractions we get in the future. Will the park decide to opt for more family friendly attractions in attempt to keep families in as opposed to larger, more intense attractions geared towards teenagers?

That’s an interesting prospect. I certainly think it will especially when families with kids are definitely a more desirable spending demographic than teens. You don’t hear about a lot of fights breaking out at Dollywood. (Disney, yes but I venture that’s a lot due to the stress mess they’ve created down there with the way the parks run and cost these days.) 

• Like 2

When I visited Carowinds I got ID checked at the gate. It was after 5pm, I didn’t realize I looked 15 years young, being 30 but I’ll take it as a compliment. However there was a sign at KI before the metal detectors yesterday that says: “Under the age of 35, have ID ready.” But I wasn’t carded at all. Not sure what the under the age of 35 is all about but ok.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 4:21 PM, brenthodge said:

(Disney, yes but I venture that’s a lot due to the stress mess they’ve created down there with the way the parks run and cost these days.) 

Amen...I am more stressed at Disney than at work...or even my usual normal day-to-day life...something is wrong there...but I don't foresee Disney fixing their issues anytime in the near future. (Even a Disney cast mate was ridiculing their Genie+ system to me...we were talking about how you "have" to get up at 7AM to make your plans...and she said very sarcastically "Yeah...because we all know that when you're on vacation you want to get up at 7 in the morning!"....I loved her honesty.)