Does the All Park Passport cover parking at your non-home park?

BoddaH1994

This is anecdotal; however, I think it’s important that people know what their getting when they spend their money, especially after the Prestige Pass fiasco of 2023.

A couple of friends of mine went to Knott’s over the weekend. They had already renewed: Kings Island Gold Pass, All Parks Passport (APP) and all of the other augmentations. They went to park and the attendant tried to charge them. They said they have the APP and it included parking. The associate told them that the parking with APP doesn’t work at Knott’s. The supervisor came over and confirmed. Fortunately, they allowed them to go through as a “one time exception.”

I was always under the impression that adding the APP was tantamount to a Prestige Pass, which includes parking. 

My questions are: has anyone else had this experience in 2024 at Knott’s? Does parking only work at your home park, or is this unique to Knotts? If this is incorrect, then why did the system deny them, the associate firmly tell them that they didn’t get parking, and the supervisor confirmed the information?

Hopefully this was just a chain of misinformation and not a sneaky little surprise. 

• Haha 1

I sent an email to Knotts just now asking about this. I'll post their response here. From what I can see, on the Kings Island pass add on purchase screen for the APP, there is a disclaimer that perks may vary based on each park and to contact parks to confirm if they support a perk or not. Knotts shop shows that their passes (with the exception of Prestige) do not come with free parking and that a parking add-on is a $85 upcharge. I assume when you apply the APP to your pass, the system clones your pass internally within all the CF park databases, the gold pass you get at each park probably follows the same exact rules as native passes which means that you would need to buy the parking add-on. Only issue is that you have no way to do so. With this same logic, I'd believe that if someone has a Knotts gold pass with an APP, they would get free parking at KI since that's what comes with a KI gold pass.

• Like 1

Yes, you get the same benefits of a Platinum Pass when you purchase a 2024 Gold Pass and the All Park Passport add-on

At this point I'm half tempted to call Kings Island or Knotts to confirm this policy as if this is not true I am going to have to upgrade. I was told verbatim that I get the same benefits of a platinum pass when I purchase the 2024 Gold Pass and the all park passport addon. If this isn't true, then I'm going to have to re-evaluate my pass moving forward as the value of the Platinum pass includes that parking availability. 

Update: Just called the park, GP APP does not include the parking benefit as stated on the Kings Island website that your platinum pass originally had. Prestige passholders get free parking however. Very upsetting as I was planning to either fly or road trip out to Knotts

I went to Knott's in 2017 with a platinum.  There was some information floating around that Knott's did not include free parking.  Of course that was seven years ago (yikes!) and a different pass, but I had no issues. I only ran into issues with the meal and drink plan since ki wasn't open yet but those were resolved easily.  

For me personally, it's not that big of a deal unless this becomes chain wide. That would end my all parks run.  It seems as is Cedar Fair is becoming more like six flags with unneeded pass complexity. 

1 hour ago, BB1 said:

At this point I'm half tempted to call Kings Island or Knotts to confirm this policy as if this is not true I am going to have to upgrade. I was told verbatim that I get the same benefits of a platinum pass when I purchase the 2024 Gold Pass and the all park passport addon. If this isn't true, then I'm going to have to re-evaluate my pass moving forward as the value of the Platinum pass includes that parking availability. 

Update: Just called the park, GP APP does not include the parking benefit as stated on the Kings Island website that your platinum pass originally had. Prestige passholders get free parking however. Very upsetting as I was planning to either fly or road trip out to Knotts

This would be a change from what was originally communicated when 2024 passes went on sale in August.

Originally, it was made clear that All Park Passport was to include free parking in 2024, even at parks where parking isn't included with a standard gold pass.

5 minutes ago, malem said:

This would be a change from what was originally communicated when 2024 passes went on sale in August.

Originally, it was made clear that All Park Passport was to include free parking in 2024, even at parks where parking isn't included with a standard gold pass.

Wouldn't be the first time they changed things, or as some of us call "bait and switch".  The figured it worked for Prestige, so let's roll it out pass-wide.

Caveat Emptor

• Like 2

Per the Knott`s Berry Farm page here: https://www.knotts.com/season-passes "++ Free General Parking is included with the purchase of a Gold Pass with All Park Passport add-on."

And from the FAQ section of the All parks passport: "

Yes, you get the same benefits of a Platinum Pass when you purchase a 2024 Gold Pass and the All Park Passport add-on. This includes free general parking at all Cedar Fair parks."

If they are trying to say that an All Park Passport does not include free parking, that is contrary to what is written on their website.  Shame on them, if true and they are switching it.  Seems like they are trying to bait and switch people and nickel and dime them to death.  Wait to anger some of your loyal customers.  Hopefully it was just some mis-informed employees.  

When I worked at Coney, several years we had a customer service program called "Give them the pickle."  The gist of it was a guy owned a restaurant.  One of his managers started charging a quarter for a pickle on a sandwhich.  When the owner found out, he said "Give them the pickle", for free.  It is not worth loosing loyal customers just to make a quick penny.  By giving them the free pickle, they will be more apt to spend more than the cost of the pickle, and be a repeat customer, more than offsetting the forfeited revenue from the pickle.  Same thing applies here.  

Yes, but they are advertising it is similar benefit to the former Platinum Pass, which had been around for years.  I don`t know why they felt the need to switch a system, that most employees had down pat. 

Just wait until next year, provided the Six Flags merger goes through.  Then we will have all kinds of quirks, I am sure with the season pass program.

I suppose what we need clarification on is whether the bait-and-switch just pertains to Knotts, or for all Cedar Fair parks. 

Of course, we’ve seen their willingness to change the game (and the language on the website) half way down the stream. 

Here are some quotes from Knott's Berry Farms website, all of these were taken a few minutes ago, and are currently on the site.

Free General Parking is included with the purchase of a Gold Pass with All Park Passport add-on. Season long parking is also valid for Knott's Scary Farm parking. Separate Knott's Scary Farm admission is required for event entry. Season long parking is not valid for parking at the Knott's Berry Farm Hotel, California Marketplace, or Preferred parking lots.

Yes, you get the same benefits of a Platinum Pass when you purchase a 2024 Gold Pass and the All Park Passport add-on. This includes free general parking at all Cedar Fair parks.

Plus, Gold Passes with the All Park Passport add-on are entitled to free general parking at Knott's Berry Farm.

Here is the relevant quote from the 2024 Annual Pass Terms and Conditions

• Knott’s Berry Farm – Gold or Prestige Pass with the All Park Passport add-on is valid only for admission on any regular scheduled operating day and is not valid for entry to Scary Farm. Parking is included with the purchase of a Gold Pass and All Park Passport add-on.

The only thing I can think of is there has to be a mistake somewhere because its been very clear that all park passport includes regular parking at all parks in the chain, including Knott's.  Any chance they tried parking in the wrong lot?

2 hours ago, BB1 said:

Did you call Knotts or Kings Island?

16 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Did you call Knotts or Kings Island?

Knotts proper they stated verbatim that gold APP does not apply for parking at Knotts Berry Farms.

Just now, BB1 said:

Knotts proper they stated verbatim that gold APP does not apply for parking at Knotts Berry Farms.

Thanks for doing that.

I guess we’ll need to reach out to some other parks this week to see where it works and where it doesn’t. 

• Like 1

Just now, BoddaH1994 said:

Thanks for doing that.

I guess we’ll need to reach out to some other parks this week to see where it works and where it doesn’t. 

But, But, But their website and FAQ says parking is included...

2 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Thanks for doing that.

I’m going to be making some calls this week as this has got to be arguably the biggest let down of this change. I was OK with the concept of still getting my platinum pass perks with an APPGP, but if I’m actually losing out on an old perk when I was originally told otherwise is honestly upsetting. I wonder, as it seems to be a copy pasta, if CF corporate has any idea that this is actually happening. Or, if they do, why they have yet to communicate that your perks do not equally translate to the new pass.

2 minutes ago, BB1 said:

I’m going to be making some calls this week as this has got to be arguably the biggest let down of this change. I was OK with the concept of still getting my platinum pass perks with an APPGP, but if I’m actually losing out on an old perk when I was originally told otherwise is honestly upsetting. I wonder, as it seems to be a copy pasta, if CF corporate has any idea that this is actually happening. Or, if they do, why they have yet to communicate that your perks do not equally translate to the new pass.

Prestige Passholders have experience in this... 

KI Prestige Pass was good at CP...until it was not...

Included bottled drinks...until it was not...

Let's hope this is simply a pre- opening miscommunication and parking is included or they will have a lot of ticked off people.  It will certainly play into folks not visiting other parks as frequently...maybe that is their intent.

I just spoke with a friend who only has a gold pass and visited Knott's in January using the all park passport.  According to them the parking worked, but they had a hard time finding the regular parking lot because the tunnel that goes under the street and leads to the main parking lot is closed.  You can only enter the lot going one direction on the road that separates the park from the main parking lot.  According to them the other many parking lots around the park are either for the hotel, stores, preferred parking, and are not included.

19 minutes ago, Kenban said:

I just spoke with a friend who only has a gold pass and visited Knott's in January using the all park passport.  According to them the parking worked, but they had a hard time finding the regular parking lot because the tunnel that goes under the street and leads to the main parking lot is closed.  You can only enter the lot going one direction on the road that separates the park from the main parking lot.  According to them the other many parking lots around the park are either for the hotel, stores, preferred parking, and are not included.

Hopefully this incident in the OP was something like going to the wrong lot, but the comments here show the reputation the chain now has that folks are quick to believe that the park is devaluing a product already purchased.

image.png

Per Wayback machine screenshot in 2023 season. You had access to free general parking at Knotts Berry Farms with a Platinum Pass, Knotts Berry Farms themselves confirmed that you cannot park for free with APPGP. Very, very, very upsetting for what I'm paying for and being effectively misinformed per KI's website OR there is a massive miscommunication chain wide. 

4 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Hopefully this incident in the OP was something like going to the wrong lot, but the comments here show the reputation the chain now has that folks are quick to believe that the park is devaluing a product already purchased.

That's my hope at least.  I have also wondered if part of the issue might be what park the pass was purchased from.  I know there have been issues at Knott's in the past when using a pass from a park that has not yet opened for the season.  My understanding is the pass that worked was from Canada's Wonderland.  I could see a Kings Island or Cedar Point pass possibly having issues because their add-on's did not work last year.

It has been a few years but I personally had issues at Knott's early in the year before Kings Island opened.  Guest Services could see my meal plan but it would not work at restaurants and I had to get managers to over ride every time I wanted a drink or meal.

2 minutes ago, Kenban said:

That's my hope at least.  I have also wondered if part of the issue might be what park the pass was purchased from.  I know there have been issues at Knott's in the past when using a pass from a park that has not yet opened for the season.  My understanding is the pass that worked was from Canada's Wonderland.  I could see a Kings Island or Cedar Point pass possibly having issues because their add-on's did not work last year.

It has been a few years but I personally had issues at Knott's early in the year before Kings Island opened.  Guest Services could see my meal plan but it would not work at restaurants and I had to get managers to over ride every time I wanted a drink or meal.

Maybe, but they got into the park without a problem. They never did get the green light to park. The person just let them through as a one-time thing. 

9 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Prestige Passholders have experience in this... 

KI Prestige Pass was good at CP...until it was not...

Included bottled drinks...until it was not...

Let's hope this is simply a pre- opening miscommunication and parking is included or they will have a lot of ticked off people.  It will certainly play into folks not visiting other parks as frequently...maybe that is their intent.

The KI prestige pass isn't good at CP?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, LuvingKI said:

The KI prestige pass isn't good at CP?

2024 is the first year the KI Prestige is good at CP (and other parks with Prestige) for the lounge and front of the line pass.

In August 2022 when Prestige pass went on sale it was good at other parks that had Prestige.  Then by September it was revised to home park only for lounge and front of line pass.

So literally folks went to CP with KI Prestige one weekend and got in the lounge and the front of the line and the next week they were denied.

In 2023 the Prestige benefits (other than admission and parking) was only valid at home park.  But it was inconsistent.  I know folks that went 3 consecutive days to Carowinds and got front of the all 3 days but only into the lounge one day.  Same for folks I know that went to CP.  I think when the folks got the benefit it was because the associate didn't want to enforce the policy.

Supposedly in 2024 Prestige benefits are good at other Prestige parks.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

2024 is the first year the KI Prestige is good at CP (and other parks with Prestige) for the lounge and front of the line pass.

In August 2022 when Prestige pass went on sale it was good at other parks that had Prestige.  Then by September it was revised to home park only for lounge and front of line pass.

So literally folks went to CP with KI Prestige one weekend and got in the lounge and the front of the line and the next week they were denied.

In 2023 the Prestige benefits (other than admission and parking) was only valid at home park.  But it was inconsistent.  I know folks that went 3 consecutive days to Carowinds and got front of the all 3 days but only into the lounge one day.  Same for folks I know that went to CP.  I think when the folks got the benefit it was because the associate didn't want to enforce the policy.

Supposedly in 2024 Prestige benefits are good at other Prestige parks.

The benefits were widely used at CP until mid-October when Tony Clark put in his blog that they are only good at your home park. Then it became inconsistent.

4 minutes ago, OverlandTaxis30 said:

Now, I am starting to wonder if my all park passport “benefits” will even work at CP. Since I purchased it through KI.

How else to drive sales of Prestige Passes lol :P

Let's hope this was an isolated event or they will have completely ticked off a much larger base than the Prestige holders.  Maybe this would be the masses that would simply not renew next year.

We keep wondering when the bottom will fall out and they cut so much that they feel it in pass sales - could this be it?