Coney Island/Sunlite Pool Demolition

Or, it could be the elected official listening to the constituents...be it a vocal minority or a non vocal majority. 8 million dollars is not an insignificant amount. If the new riverbend is that important to the organization, they will find a way to get the additional twelve million.

2 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Or, it could be the elected official listening to the constituents...be it a vocal minority or a non vocal majority. 8 million dollars is not an insignificant amount. If the new riverbend is that important to the organization, they will find a way to get the additional twelve million.

Let me know when they send you a refund.  

Taken literally, I would not get sort of refund as I am not a resident of Ohio.

I don't have a dog in the fight in this situation, other than a slight nostalgic bent because the property was the place that caused Kings Island et al to be.  

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/senator-level-of-opposition-heard-for-riverbend-2-0-meant-deprioritized-funding-for-project

"Our office received more opposition phone calls and emails from constituents regarding the Riverbend 2.0 project than any other project or piece of legislation," Butcher wrote in an email to WCPO. "Therefore, the Senator chose not to prioritize this particular funding request." 

MEMI/CSO may not be responsible for the decline of the park, but nobody held a gun to their head and made them do what they did in destroying Sunlite Pool. Quite the contrary, as the public made their opinions known loud and clear, but they decided to move forward anyway. And said public outcry was so strong that it politically deprioritized the states desire (or lack thereof) to provide tax dollars to this stupid project. 

Fact of the matter, it looks like the majority of individuals were against this from the beginning. CSO/MEMI should’ve read the room instead of marching forward with their “holier than thou” attitude about this and the people of Cincinnati. What’s done is done, though. It’s just a shame because in the right hands the park could’ve thrived. But that’s not as appealing as a non-profit’s quest to turn a profit in roundabout ways by creating an additional arm of their organization to make money and simultaneously cover their own butts. 

I celebrate their failure and will continue to do so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With all due respect, the "conspiracy" talk didn't do your advocacy group any favors. Especially when there's none to be found (and this coming from someone who has no love for MEMI). Also, constantly trolling the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra on social media does not equate to "public opinion." 

Their music venue is going to be built whether they receive additional funding from the state or not, and rest assured, they will continue to seek it just as FC Cincinnati, the Bengals, Reds, the Chamber, and a bevy of other organizations do the same for their entertainment ventures (for right or wrong). Hell, they still got $8 Million even in this "deprioritized" request. Not really a "failure."

Coney Island was unfortunately dead whether MEMI existed or not. And now, the financial struggle to preserve what is left, just got harder (as @disco2000 pointed out, they will try and spin it that way). These politicians scoring easy points by saying they were "swayed" is nothing but talk—especially for a local politician from a gerrymandered district who also seeks to get public funding for the OTHER potential music venue in his area (the tennis center and its plans to host concerts).

The Riverbed 2.0 venue will get plenty of tax incentives as it's built and operated (for right or wrong) and pay close attention to how Anderson Township benefits. They never cared about Sunlite Pool and if it really was about providing swimming resources/lessons/etc. to an underserved population—let me know when they start opening up their public pools to residents of Cincinnati. 

EDIT TO ADD: Just want to say that ultimately, @beastfan11, I have a huge respect for your passion for local history and I am glad to see that there's people like you out there who truly care. 

• Like 1

I prob should start a new string, but interesting news day on Entertrainment Junction...remember Mr. Nolting consulting them with the Coney Island model attraction, but sure several enthusiast/artist involved in that production. Second was the Save Sunlight group got press with "Sunlight 2.0" which I admire and signed/contributed....lastly, who is the concessionaire EVT services....pardon me while I have a strange interlude to borrow from beastfan11...

On 6/18/2024 at 5:34 PM, burlguy41005 said:

I prob should start a new string, but interesting news day on Entertrainment Junction...remember Mr. Nolting consulting them with the Coney Island model attraction, but sure several enthusiast/artist involved in that production. Second was the Save Sunlight group got press with "Sunlight 2.0" which I admire and signed/contributed....lastly, who is the concessionaire EVT services....pardon me while I have a strange interlude to borrow from beastfan11...

I know that several full times who used to work at Coney, specifically those in food service, now work for EVT at Riverbend.  Essentially doing the same thing, just for a different employer. 

Also, one of the full timers involved with the food stands at the pool now works for the SSA Group.  They essentially are the concessionaire that runs the food stands at other places in Cincinnati and elsewhere.  They are at the Cincinnati Zoo, as well as the Cincinnati Museum Center.

On 6/14/2024 at 12:02 PM, disco2000 said:

Unfortunately, you know full well they will say saving Moonlite and any other Coney remains was dependent on that money....they will spin it that the elected officials simply didn't care about saving history or something like that....

You know they will absolutely. Even if they got all the money there was no guarantee they would save moonlight gardens.

It's like when Hamilton County Parks had a tax on the ballot a few years back, one of the things they said they would do was to restore the Okeana shaker village at Miami Whitewater. After a lot of locals voted for the tax for that sole reason. Years went by and nothing happened. My boss who is also a local township trustee finally got in contact with someone at the park to find out why nothing has been done about the shaker village and he was told that it hadn't fit in the budget. If it wasn't for the volunteer group Friends of the Shakers the entire thing would be grown over with weeds and some of the buildings would probably have collapsed already. Just goes to show you that you can't trust people to spend money on what they "promise" they will spend it on. 

I'd love to be proven wrong and see moonlight gardens return to hosting events. Heck, I'd buy a ticket to opening night but in reality I don't expect much from them other than to quietly demolish it in the coming years. 

On 6/25/2024 at 2:35 PM, johnjniehaus said:

You know they will absolutely. Even if they got all the money there was no guarantee they would save moonlight gardens.

It's like when Hamilton County Parks had a tax on the ballot a few years back, one of the things they said they would do was to restore the Okeana shaker village at Miami Whitewater. After a lot of locals voted for the tax for that sole reason. Years went by and nothing happened. My boss who is also a local township trustee finally got in contact with someone at the park to find out why nothing has been done about the shaker village and he was told that it hadn't fit in the budget. If it wasn't for the volunteer group Friends of the Shakers the entire thing would be grown over with weeds and some of the buildings would probably have collapsed already. Just goes to show you that you can't trust people to spend money on what they "promise" they will spend it on. 

I'd love to be proven wrong and see moonlight gardens return to hosting events. Heck, I'd buy a ticket to opening night but in reality I don't expect much from them other than to quietly demolish it in the coming years. 

The interesting story caught my eye in news was the Purple People Bridge project funding, they only need 200k to reopen the Hamilton County side of that attraction serves people free everyday...hmm...maybe MEMI should get hired to manage that attraction and get millions....LMAO..