The Crypt: Gone for 2012!

TombRaiderFTW

Level the box and plant some trees. Here's to a family log flume that doesn't involve an elephant! Put the River back in Rivertown.

The park hasn't had a log flume involving an elephant since 2009. ;)

Also, I'm not defending anyone, but if teenageninja's friend has been hired into the department that sets up the Haunt props or as a scareactor, the comments actually make sense. (Well, maybe not the "the park plans on operating The Crypt this year" one.)

Scareactors have not been placed yet. That process doesn't start until late July/early August.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ride is still in there when the new attraction opens.

I would be. Why let it take up valuable space?

Because removing the ride structure itself will be a costly and time-consuming endeavor that probably needs to be worked into a year's budget (not that it couldn't have been worked into 2012's). In other words, until it needs to be removed, it might not be. Look at Son of Beast... So many people say "Yeah, it's over, just tear it down." Do these people think that the magical toothpick fairies will fly down to Mason and reclaim the wooden splinters they used to build the thing? It's expensive, and there's no real reason to do it until it needs to be done, or until it can be done... I don't know. That's how I see it.

Keep in mind that it's not a portable carnival ride either. It has concrete footings drilled deep into the Earth, most likely one with the concrete slab of the building itself. It wasn't built to be removed, and it will definitely put up a fight. I would wager that there will be jackhammers if the park wishes to remove the ride's legs. I don't know.

It may be a net win for the park, depending on what they do w/ the parts. Can they be recycled, or reused in other cedarfair parks to offset the cost of demolition? How much of SoB could be recycled?

I don't know the answers to those, but I thought it was standard practice that demolition crews pay to actually bring downa building. In doing so, they take ownership of all the materials left over and sell them off to turn their profit. There are a lot of seats from ol' Riverfront stadium sitting around the Cincy area. The place that did the demo had a couple of Riverfront stadium "specials" at their warehouse by Lunkin field were fans could go in and purchase salvaged pieces of the stadium.

It may be a net win for the park, depending on what they do w/ the parts. Can they be recycled, or reused in other cedarfair parks to offset the cost of demolition? How much of SoB could be recycled?

I don't know the answers to those, but I thought it was standard practice that demolition crews pay to actually bring downa building. In doing so, they take ownership of all the materials left over and sell them off to turn their profit. There are a lot of seats from ol' Riverfront stadium sitting around the Cincy area. The place that did the demo had a couple of Riverfront stadium "specials" at their warehouse by Lunkin field were fans could go in and purchase salvaged pieces of the stadium.

More than likely, if they haven't already, they could probably re-use a lot of those parts on other wooden coasters throughout the park.

As for Riverfront Stadium, I have two of the Red level seats sitting on my porch. They sold anything they could from that. My uncle bought one of the old signs that marked the seating sections.

What I wonder with Son of Beast is, will they keep the station for a haunted house? As much as I dislike Halloween Haunt, it would be cool if they dressed that station up as a haunted house sitting on a hill, looming over the area. Could be neat.

With the Crypt, I doubt you see the ride appear anywhere else. It didn't work here, it's not going to work any better at another park. Let it rest in peace. When it was Tomb Raider and everything worked for a few weeks - it was TOP NOTCH. Then it was mediocre. Then it had a slight chance of at least being a fun ride with that crazy cycle in 2008. From 2009 on it sucked. Plain and simple. That ride sucked.

What I wonder with Son of Beast is, will they keep the station for a haunted house? As much as I dislike Halloween Haunt, it would be cool if they dressed that station up as a haunted house sitting on a hill, looming over the area. Could be neat.

That would be cool! (It would be even better if you could also see it from a campground. ;) )

I also have one of the lights in the locker room at Riverfront hanging up in my garage. Anyways, I was wondering.... Could some of the items in Crypt be used for Adventure Express? The themes pretty much go hand-in-hand. The only problem I'd see is that they wouldn't be treated for the outdoors....

• Like 1

As much as I love haunt, I wish they would quit turning rides into haunts. Son of Beast's station...Half of Action Theater,... The Crypt. The one that annoys me the most is Action Theater. I don't like that we lost half of the ride, to where it became an upcharge, and the other half as a Haunt

Action Theatre's ridership was so low they had no reason to keep it running. Yeah, it still had riders, but it rarely ran full cycles aside from weekends.

I can tell you for a fact when I worked there in '04 and they brought back DoT, it probably very few full cycles for the short time it was there.

I knew of this ride's problems and that it wasn't a very high quality experience anymore, but it was wonderful having something more to do when it was extremely hot or raining.

There were a number of times when The Crypt, Flight of Fear, and Boo Blasters perfectly filled in the down time of a passing storm or eased the headache from some extreme heat.

I wish that KI would have converted this into a year-round ancient temple fun house (included with admission), and then transformed it into a haunted attraction in the fall. Alternatively, I might get blasted for this thought, but making it a paid laser tag attraction during the spring / summer might have also been a hit.

I'd love to see the box go and something more Rivertown-ish go back in there. Of course, with that big red-and-yellow-and-tan (almost forgot the tan part) rollercoaster prowling through there, it will be impossible to get the feel back completely. Something water-based might be nice since there is so very little "river" left in the "town." BUT Cedar Fair will do what Cedar Fair wants, we'll just have to wait and see.

Every time I watch that, I am truly, truly astounded that a ride like that existed in a seasonal park in Ohio, even if only for a few months. It was quite literally beyond the scope of what many expected a seasonal park could produce. And perhaps it was beyond the scope of what a seasonal park could reasonably produce. It's still one of the most innovative rides I've ever encountered.

And via KIGMGREG:

Sorry to say, but the ride is totally gone at this time and no pieces are left. Stay tuned for a great Haunt attraction!

Remember, that's only seven hours after @KingsIslandPR said:

Haven't decided what we'll do with that.

That was fast! And so, rest in piece, Durga.

Hopefully the fact that they totally removed the wall and ride means that they have something sizable planned.

In seven hours, they removed the ride, I guess! :P Or there's miscommunication... Or misdirection... Politics Public relations!

EDIT:

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the ride itself. The props may be used for future projects.

Every time I watch that, I am truly, truly astounded that a ride like that existed in a seasonal park in Ohio, even if only for a few months. It was quite literally beyond the scope of what many expected a seasonal park could produce. And perhaps it was beyond the scope of what a seasonal park could reasonably produce. It's still one of the most innovative rides I've ever encountered.

I agree. This is a ride you'd expect at Disney. Not at a seasonal park. I'll never forget my first time on the ride. Everything about was just so new and revolutionary, at least to me.

And via KIGMGREG:

Sorry to say, but the ride is totally gone at this time and no pieces are left. Stay tuned for a great Haunt attraction!

Remember, that's only seven hours after @KingsIslandPR said:

Haven't decided what we'll do with that.

That was fast! And so, rest in piece, Durga.

Hopefully the fact that they totally removed the wall and ride means that they have something sizable planned.

Wow, that was fast! I honestly thought it'd be a huge undertaking to get that whole ride out of the building and that it'd be a much longer process. But, no complaints here.

I smell a return of Curse of The Crypt from FearFest's heyday. They'd be crazy not to utilize what's already in there as the basis for a potentially great Haunt.

That'd be great! I loved that haunt. Somebody refresh my memory. Did you have to go downstairs below for the Curse of the Crypt haunt? It's been so long ago that I can't remember exactly how it went.

My understanding is that it was set up in the arcade on Coney Mall and entered through the back door of it, along the midway to X-Base. In other words, it was just cardboard diving walls setting up a maze in the regular arcade. Having stairs in the middle of a dark, atmosphere, high-tension haunted house would not bode well for ADA regulations, I don't think...

That's one of the reasons I never thought The Crypt's building could easily be used as a haunt... It'll be interesting to see how they get folks down to the ground floor of the building, or how they build a platform to connect the exit to the former queue if they do indeed include the former ride chamber as part of the haunt. (In fairness, people could enter through the cavern then exit through the "rendezvous point," skipping the ride chamber altogether and still packing a fair amount of maze into the queue and two pre-show rooms.

My understanding is that it was set up in the arcade on Coney Mall and entered through the back door of it, along the midway to X-Base. In other words, it was just cardboard diving walls setting up a maze in the regular arcade. Having stairs in the middle of a dark, atmosphere, high-tension haunted house would not bode well for ADA regulations, I don't think...

That's one of the reasons I never thought The Crypt's building could easily be used as a haunt... It'll be interesting to see how they get folks down to the ground floor of the building, or how they build a platform to connect the exit to the former queue if they do indeed include the former ride chamber as part of the haunt. (In fairness, people could enter through the cavern then exit through the "rendezvous point," skipping the ride chamber altogether and still packing a fair amount of maze into the queue and two pre-show rooms.

Ok, now I remember. Wow, I was way off in that it wasn't even in the Crypt's building. Thanks for the clarification.

You know what? From now on, whenever I'm worried about what could possibly happen with Kings Island, I'm just going to remember that we have a former president of Disneyland (that's not Cynthia Harris or Paul Pressler) running Cedar Fair, and thus, Kings Island, and I know that everything will eventually (and hopefully, but most likely) end up awesome.

Edited by muppetfan1999

Some Disneyland fans would happily send a couple of their executives our way! And believe it or not, we wouldn't want them, either!

Remember Disney's California Adventure in February 2001? That park, I'd offer, had more in common with Kings Island than with Disneyland, and more in common with your friendly neighborhood Six Flags than with Kings Island... Given those same executives had control of Kings Island, the Crypt may well be replaced with a walking tour of a working bread factory, and then it would be listed as one of the park's main attractions!

....You do know about the HUGE refurbishment/expansion that California Adventure is having, right? They seem to be doing a pretty good job on that and a lot of people seem excited! Yes, I know that the Disneyland executives didn't decide that solely by themselves, but they're the ones who are (for the most part) overseeing it, so I don't see why Disneyland fans don't want that!

Also: Why a Bread Factory?

(End of mini-rant)

The people who were in charge of Disneyland Resort during the turn of the century are no longer in charge there. They've moved on and up. It was Mr. Ouimet who followed after them and began the process of turning around what had been done there - shortened hours, reduced lighting, deemphasis on entertainment, reduced commitment to detail, the decline of ride maintenance... And of course, record profits.

And why a bread factory? California Adventure was notorious for having only two "E-ticket" attractions when it opened. Among the medium sized attractions featured in the park's lineup were a bread factory tour and a tortilla factory tour. That sort of became a meme of the new park, expressing just how limited it was. It's great to have one (and the tortilla factory tour is still a fun afternoon activity). But to market it as a full-fledged attraction just stood as a testament to the park's lineup in 2001.