Everything posted by Magenta Lizard
-
Walt Disney World's Middle Class Problem
I see the family trip to Disney a little like the "two months salary" diamond engagement ring. It's been sold to us, both culturally and as consumers, as something that is expected. You propose, you offer a diamond ring. You have children, you take them to Disney. For some people it is really hard to wrap their brains around the fact that often, for various reasons, these ideas that are sold to us are not right or appropriate for our own situations. One doesn't have to spend two months' salary on an engagement ring (or give/expect one at all as part of getting married). Families don't have to go to Disney, or go broke trying to create the Dream Vacation they've been sold.
-
Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread
April 16. It begins. (They just tweeted that's opening day) They've also added the first three months to the operating calendar: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/hours-directions/kings-island-park-hours
-
Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread
We know Cirque Imagine is moving to Carowinds. I have heard more than that (and had inferred quite a bit on my own), but was asked not to repeat it. I think that fans of Cirque Imagine will not be terribly disappointed by this year's replacement in the KI theater, even if we will miss the performers we came to enjoy, the same way we missed the ones who were part of Cirque 2014 but not '15. That was how I felt since I first heard Cirque Imagine would not be returning in 2016, before I had even heard any other rumor: sad to see it go, but confident in those who made the decisions to bring us Cirque in the first place, and excited to see what they bring next. As for the rest of live entertainment, I haven't heard a whole lot, and I'm not very invested in it emotionally. I did enjoy the roaming entertainment last year, in particular the KI Paint Dept. drummers and KI5 on the too rare occasion I saw them, and would love to see more of those types of things.
-
Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread
Considering the age of the graves, it would have to be a distant relative, and their loved ones are most assuredly dead and buried themselves. Looking at a photo I took of Missouri Jane's stone, it looks like the date was 1846. The other graves in the cemetery are of similar timeframes. I don't like that the nearness of the new entrance may bring more interest and vandalism to the cemetery, so I hope some attempt to at least make it less obvious with fencing or landscaping is added. Edited to add: A listing of the graves at Dog Street Cemetery (which I just learned is the name) http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GScid=2157659
-
Cirque Imagine 2015
Cirque Imagine's Facebook just linked to a video of Trevor Bodogh. It has a few glimpses backstage and onstage at KI's Cirque, from the past two years. There's also a lot of interesting footage of our favorite Bycrobat speaking and performing. Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/cirqueimagineperforms/posts/829439780511850 Direct link to video: https://vimeo.com/150535741
-
Can you tell your on ride experience on Firehawk at Kings Island?
I want to note, that while I don't personally enjoy Firehawk well enough to ride it often, I do agree with everyone who said to try it yourself. Despite the pain, I've had some fun rides. Depending on your own likes and body parameters (weight, shins, chest size) your experience certainly will vary.
-
Ghosts at Great Wolf Lodge?
That was kind of a boring "ghost story" but interesting enough I read all the parts.
-
Can you tell your on ride experience on Firehawk at Kings Island?
For me, it's not thrilling enough to make the discomfort worth it. By discomfort, I mean it feels like all my weight is being held up by the pointy front of my shin bones. Also, I find the time spent laid back in the seat, at the beginning and end of the ride, brings to mind bad memories of being at the dentist. Whether this is a trigger for you may depend on whether you've sat through a root canal before. That said, I do feel pretty secure in the harness. I've been told that it can be uncomfortable/painful for women who are better endowed, though.
-
When did you join KICentral?
May 8, 2014. Around the time I realized I could just go to the park alone rather than give up roller coasters any longer just because I didn't have anyone to go with. Best decision I made, and in many ways, solo is my favorite way to enjoy the park. I know many more people to hang out with now, tho, thanks to KIC, and next year my husband will have his own pass so he should be there more often too.
-
Man charged with attempted murder after fight at IOA
I read something earlier today that said the weapon used was a pair of scissors to the back of the head. I'm having a hard time imagining that as attempted murder (assault certainly), but I guess it depends on the scissors and the force used. I'm looking for the source, but haven't found it yet. Interestingly, I did learn that clickorlando.com has an entire news subsection for "Zimmerman." Ok, found the article I read: http://orlandoinformer.com/blog/police-called-altercation-between-contractors-universal/ There is also some extra info in the comments of that article. If the extent of the injuries /are/ that bad (according to the comments, his skull was pierced several inches), I can see it being charged as attempted murder.
-
Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread
Yeah, I figured it was the cup, too, but I want drinks on my pass badly enough that I'm ever hopeful!
-
Winterfest Wishes and Ideas- A Way to Bring It Back
I was thinking if KI threw a 21+ New Year's Eve party up in the International Restaurant, with included snacks and a pay bar, maybe a band or other live entertainment, with nothing more going on in the park than the tower lit up, and fireworks at midnight, I'd probably pay $50 to get in. Of course they couldn't really have done it this year with the entrance and lot kind of torn up. But it would be an interesting event in the future.
-
Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread
Drink pass?
-
Kentucky Kingdom
That must be the other group I was forgetting. The taxpayers. Although the ones who have chimed in in the thread have been less upset about it than I would be...
-
Kentucky Kingdom
I think they've pretty much scorned the entire physically handicapped community... Nursing mothers... I feel like I'm missing another...
-
Kentucky Kingdom
While I believe that most of us, individually, wouldn't be turned away like Terpy was, it is only because park management doesn't know who we specifically are. However, there has been negative interest paid in the past to what is said here (unofficially, of course) and I would be really surprised if we publicly plan a trip by many members it would go unnoticed by the powers-that-be of Kentucky Kingdom. It would just be a shame if, because they knew we were coming, they made trouble once we got there. It would be interesting to see what would happen if someone went there wearing a KIC t-shirt.
-
Kentucky Kingdom
If we do, we should probably either use a false date on the boards, or plan in secret. Maybe wear disguises? It's a long drive to be turned away when we get there...
-
6 Of The Best Theme Park Attractions
I think at this point in our cultural development, Song of the South's relation to Splash Mountain being largely unknown probably helps the ride more than hurting it. That movie is painful from a modern perspective.
-
2015 KIC Off Season Poll Series Week IX: 2016 Priority Parks
Kings Island. I find it really hard for another park to compete with one only a half hour's drive away, that I can enjoy a couple times a week, go to for half days or on a whim to catch a show or other special event if I want. There is some small possibility we will go to Dollywood in the spring for their new coaster, or Cedar Point in the fall, but they pale in comparison to the sheer volume of fun I'll have on the Island.
-
You Know It's the Off Season When...
I've been checking the website for opening dates so much, I finally noticed I think you can see a sliver of my shirt in the pic at the top of the calendar page, from the day I got to spend at the closed park as an extra for their photo shoot... Yeah that little bit of pink at the back of the train? That's me...
-
Kentucky Kingdom
While it's a nickname I've gone by before, I'm not the one editing KK's website
-
Geauga Lake Double Loop
Where were they planning to move Flights of Fear?
-
Virtual reality rides set to invade theme parks in 2016
Or perhaps it will be like the on-ride video recording they tried to add to Banshee, and they won't be able to work it out at all.
-
PROPERTY ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF Kings Island DRIVE
Oh, whoops. Then that "building starting in the spring" didn't happen, either. Wonder what happened? Zoning board not as enthusiastic as they assumed? KI fight rezoning? Big amount of silence. Edit: hmm, this article says rezoning was approved but the township has to approve a final plan before construction began... But again, no movement since then http://m.fox19.com/fox19/pm_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=od:Q2ipWn1X
-
PROPERTY ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF Kings Island DRIVE
Any changes of zoning for the area come up yet? I still think they may have a hard time getting it rezoned to residential. Edit: Oh I answered my own question. Apparently there is a zoning meeting for it tomorrow http://m.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2014/12/05/developers-planning-35m-apartment-project-at.html