Intimidator 305 Closed: Cable Lift Problems

Stuff happens. Intamin got it taken care of in record time.

You said it.

Some have records for speed.

Some have records for length.

Intamin happens to have records both: lack of speed repairing their product & length of downtime their product has.

Now, I wonder where that oh so fitting clapping video is at, Intamin deserves that praise!

• Like 5

Stuff happens. Intamin got it taken care of in record time. We dont know what happened. There could have been a power surge, lightning, or maintenance issue.

If the world was perfect a racecar would never blow an engine.

This repair took longer to complete than El Toro. It was by no means "record time."
  • Like 2

One thing that everyone should agree on is that if B&M made a coaster in the style of Maverick or TTD, you wouldn't see it nearly as open as a ride in the style of Diamondback. Physics and natural forces create downtime, not the manufacturer. Intamin doesn't make coasters at a lower grade than B&M for more downtime and a lower price.

• Like 2

to the average park goer, the name of the ride and the physics of the ride does not matter. Park goer A is deciding where to go to spend his/her hard earned money on a destination vacation. They could go to KD but they have heard the one ride there keeps breaking down. They could go to KI where there are 2 new roller coasters.... No manufacturer names even come up in a normal conversation, its all about the parks rep of having rides that are or are not operating....

• Like 2

Stuff happens. Intamin got it taken care of in record time.

You said it.

Some have records for speed.

Some have records for length.

Intamin happens to have records both: lack of speed repairing their product & length of downtime their product has.

Now, I wonder where that oh so fitting clapping video is at, Intamin deserves that praise!

So that is what Young Stud was talking about. I was so confused up to your post. Thanks for clearing that up, makes perfect sense now!

The whole defending and praising Intamin even when their rides are down for a month at a time is getting very old and is showing terrible credibility. Yes, machines break, but look at the issues from the 2013 season. What manufacturer had rides down for an extended period of time over any other?

Yes, Intamin makes awesome coasters, and I enjoy them, but never expect them to always be operating while at the park.

• Like 4

More moving parts means more problems could arrise. You cannot have a chain lift on a lift hill as steep as i305 and mf. Intamin does not have many rides down as a whole but if a ride goes down everyone knows about it cause it is world renowned.

Also we still don't know what caused or what the problem was. It could have been preventive maintenance was missed.

The logic actually is sound, IndyGuy. The steeper the lift hill, the more weight from the train that the motor has to carry, and the more tension there will be in the chain. The cable lift does the same job quicker without requiring as much structural support for the weight of the chain. I don't know if this is the truth, but I'd speculate that it might even be able to pull the train up without as many moving parts. What I want to know is how he knows that the chain would break if B&M made the lift any steeper.

• Like 3

pre drops are to reduce stress on the chain.

Then what was Son of Beast's second drop for (after the chain lift but before the big drop)? Or Camden Park's Big Dipper's pre-drop?

Terp, who likes to ask questions.

I was under the impression those were anti-rollbacks put in place to prevent a valley in between the lift and large drop should a train not have enough momentum or weight to make it through.

More moving parts means more problems could arrise. You cannot have a chain lift on a lift hill as steep as i305 and mf. Intamin does not have many rides down as a whole but if a ride goes down everyone knows about it cause it is world renowned.

Also we still don't know what caused or what the problem was. It could have been preventive maintenance was missed.

It's probably due to the fact Intamin owns the copyright to do said cable lifts...

Also see eurofighter coasters from Gerstlaughter...straight up lifts, or 300 foot chain lifts like on Levi on a B&M

The only advantages of a cable lift is decreased weight, less moving parts, faster lift hill speeds, and that's it