Best Coaster for New Riders

PiperArcher

Hey Y'all! I've finally convinced my little sister to go with me to Kings Island and ride a roller coaster with me. She rode Big Thunder Mountain at Disney World 5 years ago and has been scared to go on any roller coaster since. She finally promised me that she would try a coaster at Kings Island. I have a good feeling that she'll start to love them as she has gone ziplining and done many other intense and fast things since her ride on Thunder Mountain in 2010. My predicament is that the coaster she promised to ride with me first is Racer. I feel that the ride may be too rough and scare her away from more coasters, even though it is not an intense coaster compaired to others at KI. I've been on every coaster at KI except the Woodstock coaster, and I've been brainstorming as to what other coaster to try and get her on if she likes Racer. She's tall enough to ride everything. I was thinking BLSC or Bat. I'd prefer to not go on Adventure Express right away because it's too similar to Thunder Mountain and, again, scare her away. I'm assuming that she will refuse to ride anything with an inversion as well as Beast and Diamondback, so I am not even considering those, and I personally won't let her on Firehawk. Even I hate that ride... Any suggestions as to the best way to handle the coasters with her? Worse comes to worse, she'll have ridden racer and that will be it as far as coasters go. I won't force her to do anything she doesn't want to do, but it would be awesome to ride the coasters with her! What experiences have you guys had with scared family members on coasters?

• Like 2

As Marth said Bat usually has a short line so not much time to chicken out and it's a pretty smooth ride.

BLSC would be my main suggestion to. It's not real big so shouldn't care her off but is very smooth and a lot of fun, and still has speed with the boosts without being real intense.

• Like 4

I'd probably say either Bat or Adventure Express.  One thing Bat has going for it is that its not a loud ride plus its not as jerky as Backlot or AE.  I think that helped me get accustomed back in the day.  Woodstock Express and Flying Aces would be fine starters as well. 

• Like 3

I'd go with Bat, since it's a really fun ride and it was one of my go-to coasters when I was a kid. If she's not afraid of launches, I'd also have her try Backlot. And although Adventure Express was also one of my go-to coasters when I was a kid, I wouldn't recommend it at first as it might bring up bad memories of Big Thunder Mountain; however, if she ends up liking coasters again, I'd definitely recommend it. 

• Like 2

I'd start her on Backlot, as it's slower and less intense than The Bat or The Racer and she'll have a chance to catch her breath when it stops at the helicopter scene. From there, if she's game for more, The Bat would be my next choice followed by Racer. Then, if she's still enjoying it, that might be the time to tackle Adventure Express to beat down the fear of Big Thunder Mountain once and for all.

You have lots of really good tips above. Depending on how hesitant she is, Flying Ace and Surf Dog would be good starters, then move on to the bigger rides.

Something that helps me with the niece and nephews is to watch the new ride and observe their reaction. If they are excited, hop in line. If they seem nervous, talk through how the ride will feel: bumpy or smooth, a dark or dim tunnel, lift out of the seat, feel pushed to the side, etc. I will say that Diamondback seems to be the ride that many kids have to get over the fear of the height and how the first drop looks. If you can get her on The Beast first, you can compare the first drop to Diamondback and that will likely help get over any fear.

• Like 2

Hey Y'all! I've finally convinced my little sister to go with me to Kings Island and ride a roller coaster with me. She rode Big Thunder Mountain at Disney World 5 years ago and has been scared to go on any roller coaster since. She finally promised me that she would try a coaster at Kings Island. I have a good feeling that she'll start to love them as she has gone ziplining and done many other intense and fast things since her ride on Thunder Mountain in 2010. My predicament is that the coaster she promised to ride with me first is Racer. I feel that the ride may be too rough and scare her away from more coasters, even though it is not an intense coaster compaired to others at KI. I've been on every coaster at KI except the Woodstock coaster, and I've been brainstorming as to what other coaster to try and get her on if she likes Racer. She's tall enough to ride everything. I was thinking BLSC or Bat. I'd prefer to not go on Adventure Express right away because it's too similar to Thunder Mountain and, again, scare her away. I'm assuming that she will refuse to ride anything with an inversion as well as Beast and Diamondback, so I am not even considering those, and I personally won't let her on Firehawk. Even I hate that ride... Any suggestions as to the best way to handle the coasters with her? Worse comes to worse, she'll have ridden racer and that will be it as far as coasters go. I won't force her to do anything she doesn't want to do, but it would be awesome to ride the coasters with her! What experiences have you guys had with scared family members on coasters?

My number one suggestion is definitely The Bat, due to it's nature of being relatively smooth, short ride length, and exhilarating enough to make her possibly want to go ride Banshee on her way out. I've seen it happen with other folks who aren't necessarily into coasters, where they'll try out The Bat, and on their way back into Action Zone, they see another coaster suspended from the tracks and think Banshee would be a nice step up.

Either way, I'd definitely recommend The Bat, it's a great "starting" coaster!

• Like 4

Thank you all for the answers! I showed her POVs of Bat and BLSC and she seemed to like Bats short ride and how it is kind of like flying through a forest. I might be able to get her on that. She was not too keen on the launch of BLSC, but we will see what happens. We're going to the park on Thursday after 4PM. It should be fun!

As far as Vortex is concerned, I haven't ever had a really bad ride on it in any seat. As long as you brace yourself accordingly, it is always a fun ride! It always reminds me of my rides on the Loch Ness Monster at Busch Gardens.

• Like 3

5-1.

Front seat of the fifth car.

Others say 7-1.

1-1 is also nice.

Okay, my friend and I have done 5-1 which is way better but...still lots of head banging. We are visiting Saturday and we want to ride with minimal pain. Other tips?

Staple the OTS? Keep it loose? My upper body prevents me from getting it too tight as I'm *thisclose* to one more more click down. And I'm not tall enough to push myself up against the harness.

• Like 3

Flying Ace Arial Chase is the smoothest coaster in the park, its not so fast to jerk you around too much, but fast enough to provide a good dose of fun.  its only problem is that its a 1 train ride, and therefor slow to load.

Perhaps I'm weird, definently against the grain on this thread, but I'd personally choose The Racers over The Bat in terms of being less scary.  Something about that transition from having a "floor" under the coaster on the lift hill to having nothing but air under you still gets to me on that "slow" turn around to the start of the desent.  Neither FAAC nor Banshee give me that same psychological thrill despite actually having my legs swinging under me when getting off the lift  hill.  Middle hill, blue train I've found to be realitively smooth.  Its wood, so its going to bounce you around a bit, but no worse, IMHO than many other coasters in the park.

• Like 3