Kings Island overall food concession experience 2015

Tr0y

Skyline Chili had a 30 minute wait for food. 2 people working the line. When asked about the lack of trays, the cashier stated: "They all at da Festhaus. They real busy." The expression on the workers faces makes the place feel like a cesspool of sadness, where happiness goes to die.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Does KI pay for Skyline (LaRosas, etc) to be in the park or do the companies pay to have a presence in the park?

If I was one of these companies I'm not sure I would want to be represented the way it is currently (slow service, below par food)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Nothing is free. I'm not sure what the restaurants gain by being in the park while I see why the park wants them (oh look Skyline, let's eat here versus just leaving). Which makes me think the park has to pay them....

Yet I can see how the restaurants win more than the park as in they get "advertisements" in the park for the season, so they would have to pay the park...

But the restaurants are staffed by the park and assuming the food is made in the park, which seems like a franchise.... I have no idea which way it works

• Like 1

In a previous career, the company I worked for was a contractor for PKI; while we were not a food establishment, we provided a much needed service and had prominent signage through the park.  We were paid the going rate but gave the park a slight discount to advertise our services.

Amyway, back to food service:  I don't know, I just assume the frachise  scneario for the national brands.  I've been wrong before, however.

Quite upset yesterday. Went to eat at Panda Express at 6:30 with Beastie1980 and they are in the middle of shutting down the line and no longer serving food. 1 and 1/2 hrs before the park closes. What is up with this? I can see not making any more food 1/2 hr before you close, but have enough made till the end of the night. All kinda of money was being lost right there. I had to settle for pizza that I did not want and threw most of it away for it did not settle well with me at the time.

• Like 5

Panda Express' usual policy is that they stop serving an hour before close. They may have closed even earlier due to lack of business caused by dollar days. It sucks you were caught out by it.

I don't like that most food locations open an hour after park opening and close an hour before park close. I would probably have spent a lot more at Sweet Spot if they weren't always closed until noon, because I'm usually already hungry by 10 and could use a little snack to tide me over until meal locations open up.

Some policies make me feel like the park doesn't even want my money...

• Like 8

Panda Express' usual policy is that they stop serving an hour before close. They may have closed even earlier due to lack of business caused by dollar days. It sucks you were caught out by it.

Maybe there are circumstances I don't understand here. As a business and having stock holders, I would think 1/2 hr before park closes is the least that should be acceptable!

• Like 3

Well if you have to pay for workers to stay after and clean they may want the employees done by no later than 30-60 mins after closing which means you close early to be done in time. Some places may want the employees off the clock by closing time.

• Like 2

Well if you have to pay for workers to stay after and clean they may want the employees done by no later than 30-60 mins after closing which means you close early to be done in time. Some places may want the employees off the clock by closing time.

True, but that does not help the people who are wanting to eat and hand you money 1 1/2 hrs before the park closes. Which is more profitable? Pay them an extra hour or lose sells and upset customers? This is where #KIBestDay comes into play.

• Like 5

And the local brands, Skyline, LaRosa's, Graeter's...See also The Coca-Cola Company of Atlanta, Georgia. Who pays whom on that one is the subject of a great deal of speculation by others in the industry.

I can just about guarantee Coca-Cola is not paying KI/Cedar Fair.  Whether Coca-Cola is making actual profit on sales in the park is another question altogether.

True story.  And I suppose it could work that way with the parks, but then the park is cutting checks right back to Coca-Cola.  Which...still doesn't fully answer the question of who is paying whom?  Nevertheless, the leverage Coca-Cola has is unique, and I'd be highly skeptical that they are "giving away" money and soda just for branding and advertising rights.  I'd bet both parties are making real money in the parks.

• Like 2

Here is my overall gripe with food. I thought about this while in line at Arby's today. For the most part, it's a shorter wait at Snake Pit for a fresh made (read grilled in front of you) sandwich than it is to get food at the Skylines, Fest Haus, or Soak City establishments.

Why?

You have very limited food menus at each place where food should be ready to go and be put out very quickly.

If you sell burgers and you see a line of 50 people, then you should have 55 burgers ready. The lines should move fairly quickly.

Arby's had probably 10 sandwiches ready to go during lunch time. So if you ordered it, it was ready to go.

At a place like the Chicken Shack when you know lunch time is hitting (11-1ish) you should just keep making chicken fries and toast.

You keep making the plates and put them up for people to grab and go. It should only be a bit slower if someone is ordering a salad.

Here is how I (read no experience but learned from my dad who has experience and I worked in a few spots myself) would fix a place like Festhaus. Left line is Pizza and right line is Burger and Chicken. Have a speed rail thrown in against the walls for refills only. That way you can have two "lines" converge at the drink stand. So that way if you want just a drink you are not waiting behind pizza peeps and vice versa.

Now your burger people and your pizza peeps won't slow each other down. It would be hurtful for the families that want both, but pizza seems to be the slowest line as some people want whole pizzas.

As for the rest of the food eateries you need a drink only line. These are the people not ordering food. The line needs to be clearly marked as well.

• Like 3

I work for a Soda company and I can tell you that Coke is the one paying the big bucks to CF for the rights. CF isn't paying Coke dime. You know them 3.50 20 Oz bottles they are selling at KI they are only paying 50. a bottle for them. So KI is making 3.00 for everyone they sell. Plus they are making about 9.00 bucks for every one of them cups they sell.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Trust me if Coke tried to charge CF anything. CF would go right to Pepsi

• Like 5

RE: Universities and beverage companies:  There was an agreement between the University of Kentucky and Aramark to take over the University's food operations, starting in 2014.  As a part of the contract, Aramark was required to source so much of it's food locally, and this was to increase annually.

Turns out, Aramark paid Coca-Cola around $1 million in 2014 and counted this as a local purchase---because there is a bottling plant in Lexington.

It would not surprise me if there was a kickback to the University involved in this.

Oh, The Interpreter, we could discuss THAT subject for days! 

But, back to food service at the park:  My main gripe is not with the price (You get your money's worth) or quality (the food I eat tastes really good).  They really need to come up with a plan and focus on it.

If they can turn around the culture among employees from being surly and sour, surely they can change the speed culture in food service and allow these employees to have FUN and serve customers well.  Lots of great ideas in this forum, and it sounds like they could adopt Best Practices from sister parks.

• Like 2