Coaster Derailment with Deaths in Sweeden

STOCKHOLM, June 25 (Reuters) - One person was killed and seven injured, including children, in a roller coaster accident at the Grona Lund amusement park in the Swedish capital on Sunday, a park official and police said.

Eyewitnesses said the park's Jetline roller coaster had partly derailed during a ride, sending people crashing to the ground.

"This is tragic and shocking, and regrettably we've learned that one person has died," Grona Lund spokesperson Annika Troselius told public broadcaster SVT.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/several-injured-roller-coaster-accident-sweden-2023-06-25/

Not sure I want to ride coasters in other countries.

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, DoomPlague said:

Always sad to hear but I don't know that this is something impossible to happen in the US.

Don't know much about this but it looks pretty good from the Youtube videos. Built by Zierer but designed by Schwarzkopf and Stengel?

El Toro just did it a few seasons ago. 

16 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

El Toro just did it a few seasons ago. 

I was really thinking of something more catastrophic or deadly. From my understanding, El Toro just had its last car come out of alignment with the track and partially derail. Pretty bad but nothing close to deadly.

Obviously Stengal's firm has a lot of coasters on its resume but it is interesting how they were involved with this ride as well as Mindbender, Quimera, and El Toro (not to mention SOB). 

23 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I only trust big companies in other countries. Like B&M, Intamin, RMC and Mack. I think most of the accidents in Europe have come from manufactures that don’t exist anymore.

I generally trust manufacturers however the actual maintenance of the ride is on the park. It's really terrible that this happened...

Obviously this is not the first time that a derailment has occurred but this one was obviously much worse than most. I mean for example, The Bat at Kings Island derailed last year I believe. Is that on Arrow Dynamics? I don't think so...it's ran for nearly 30 years with no issues. I have to assume it's on the park at that point. Can we also point out that safety standards on certain rides perhaps were less strick in times past and that some are probably grandfathered into the system. For example if Cedar downs Racing Derby was built today, would it operate without seatbelts? I get that freak accidents happen but instances should be investigated and more than likely this particular coaster will never come back from this. Even if somehow they managed to get it "safe" and operational again it will always carry the stigma that someone was killed in this accident 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnjniehaus said:

I generally trust manufacturers however the actual maintenance of the ride is on the park. It's really terrible that this happened...

Obviously this is not the first time that a derailment has occurred but this one was obviously much worse than most. I mean for example, The Bat at Kings Island derailed last year I believe. Is that on Arrow Dynamics? I don't think so...it's ran for nearly 30 years with no issues. I have to assume it's on the park at that point. Can we also point out that safety standards on certain rides perhaps were less strick in times past and that some are probably grandfathered into the system. For example if Cedar downs Racing Derby was built today, would it operate without seatbelts? I get that freak accidents happen but instances should be investigated and more than likely this particular coaster will never come back from this. Even if somehow they managed to get it "safe" and operational again it will always carry the stigma that someone was killed in this accident 

Or maybe it will be relocated to Indiana Beach!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The pictures and video that I have seen of the aftermath so far are pretty wild.  An entire wheel assembly came off the front car of the train and landed right next to a support.  It sounds like 3 people were ejected from the train, two of them fell to the ground, one somehow got lucky and fell on top of a horizontal support and was able to shimmy himself up on top and there is video of him sitting on top of the steel beam waiting to be rescued.

This sounds very similar to what happened on Mindbender and Quimera.  Not sure if it’s the train design or maintenance issues, but to me at least the common link is Schwarzkopf.  It feels like any of these rides still running original trains should have the trains replaced.

• Like 1