Dorney Park or Worlds of fun?

Driver8rws

Got the ALL PARK upgrade to our Kings Island passes for next year. 

Should we do a trip to Dorney Park or Worlds of Fun?  

Both are ~9hrs from Cincinnati. 

Had platinum passes last in 2017 and did Carowinds, Cedar Point,  Kings Dominion,  Knotts Berry Farm,  and Canada's Wonderland.  Definitely plan to do some of those again as well...

I have been to both, neither one really stands out.  My gut says do Worlds of Fun, but that might be because my original plan for this summer was a road trip to visit WoF and a bunch of other parks on the way there and back so I could visit during the parks anniversary and ride Zambezi Zinger.  The opening of the coaster was delayed and I cancelled the trip and later ended up doing a totally different trip.  I am also concerned about the future of Lost Island amusement park and wanted to visit while I was certain of it still being in business.

It’s a lot of driving to visit either park if you’re not planning on visiting anything else.  My suggestion is try to visit something else, and would make the decision more based on those extras than one of those parks over the other, neither is that amazing, and I am concerned you might find either disappointing on its own.

Two more Cedar Fair parks to throw into the mix, first Valleyfair is not much farther than either of these parks at around 11 hours just in a North West direction, passing through Chicago, and the Wisconsin Dells, on the way.  On the road trip I made to visit Worlds of Fun, I also visited Valleyfair, because Worlds of Fun is directly south of Valleyfair with Adventureland in the middle between the two.  

Finally Michigan’s Adventure, it’s around a 6 hour drive from Cincinnati and would be closer than any of these other parks.  If I were to rank Cedar Fair parks, MA is firmly in the last spot for me, but the 3 spots ahead of it are Valleyfair, Dorney, and Worlds of Fun.

You’re not missing anything at Michigans Adventure.

The park is nicely landscaped, however there aren’t many coasters and most of them are rough. The waterpark is nice, but not 6 hour drive worthy. I ate at Coasters there for lunch and the food was darn near inedible. I have the season long dining plan and instead of using it for dinner. I elected to eat outside of the park instead. It was truly that gross.

14 hours ago, Driver8rws said:

Got the ALL PARK upgrade to our Kings Island passes for next year. 

Should we do a trip to Dorney Park or Worlds of Fun?  

Both are ~9hrs from Cincinnati. 

Had platinum passes last in 2017 and did Carowinds, Cedar Point,  Kings Dominion,  Knotts Berry Farm,  and Canada's Wonderland.  Definitely plan to do some of those again as well...

If it was me I would choose Dorney. Let me explain. Prowler is better than anything at Dorney but Dorney’s top 3 in 2024 in my opinion will be better. Talon is elite. Hydra is so unique. I think Iron Menace had the potential to be the best dive coaster just looking at it. 

I have never been to Worlds of Fun however, I was very happy with my visit to Dorney this summer. While none of the coasters are top 10 material I think they are all fun and make for a well rounded park experience. Dorney was exactly what I look for in a small/mid size park - one with some historical charm and just good, fun rides. 

• Like 1

I would say Worlds of Fun. I was there in August for my first time, and I was so impressed. The park is beautiful and well-landscaped. For its 50th, almost the entire park was repainted and refurbished with tasteful and detailed signage, trash cans, area music, and murals. It doesn't feel like a Cedar Fair park at all, and I mean that in a good way! It really feels unique and distinctive, with a strong sense of identity. They have a great museum that will be back next year with artifacts from throughout the park's history. I thought their coaster line-up was very good. Mamba and Prowler are excellent and worth the trip. They also have a great flat ride selection, including the very unique Cyclone Sam's. 

Dorney Park is fun. Talon and Demon Drop are very good. Iron Menace should be a nice, story-driven addition for them. It's also in a convenient location to other great parks. But as far as looking at the park itself, I would put Worlds of Fun above Dorney Park. 

Both are good parks that don't get talked about enough. Dorney Park will be debuting Iron Menace, which is one of the most anticipated new rides for 2024, and that for me would give it the edge if I had to choose one park or the other to visit next year. 

If you're going to drive nine hours, the drive is more interesting on the way to Dorney Park than Worlds of Fun. Plus, while you're in the area there is Six Flags Great Adventure, Hersheypark, and not too far away, Knoebel's Amusement Resort. 

I always try to plan my visits to Worlds of Fun when the Kansas City Royals are in town to give me something additional to do. Tickets are among the most affordable in Major League baseball. 

• Like 7