Favorite Off Season Activities?

BB1

As I sat in the office today looking out on the cincy skyline beyond the trees and hills of NKY, I started to reflect on the fact that KI is closed and I’m not due back to Orlando for at least two months…..which means I won’t scratch my coaster itch for a few more months now. We all have to deal with the off season blues one way or another, so what’s your favorite off season activity to keep yourself active? 

(Special thanks to Ryan & Don’s Tower Topics for making me think about this while listening to the podcast inbetween calls/meetings today. If you aren’t listening, start now because it’s actually pretty good!)

• Like 1

I love to go to antique stores to find park relics, love going to Jungle Jims, visits to arcades, urban exploring, visiting dead malls, little road trips, finding new restaurants to visit.

Things I want to do: Entertrainment Junction and American Sign Museum.

• Like 2

The sign museum is a neat visit for sure. The young train nerd in me loves Entertrainment Junction.

I used to love walking around the Cincinnati Mall before it closed. Arcade Legacy moved from the mall to a new location in Sharonville about a year ago. It's a neat place, $10 gets you the day to play all the classic pinball, arcade machines, and they even have old console games from the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. 

• Like 2

I usually go to various places like Kenwood Town Center, Eastgate Mall, driving to various new locations within the city, all around I pretty much use the time to explore (and cry inside). If absolutely necessary I will go to the Dayton Scene 75 for a ride but that has never been needed *yet*

• Like 2

Honestly for this off season I’ve tried to do something different every weekend. We have Cincy Beerfest this weekend & the zoo lined up, but there’s also a few new breweries I have to hit up before the spring. (And a few I need to go back to like Fabled) 

Also I finally bought Planet Zoo and it is arguably my most played game besides Baldur’s Gate 3 for 2024. 

25 minutes ago, BB1 said:

(And a few I need to go back to like Fabled) 

Ah, been looking to try that place. How is it? 

My off-season activities this year included a drip to Disney World. Just got back a few days ago, so my “itch” has been scratched a bit. I also typically dive into some RCT2 projects. 

Went to Entertrainment Junction for the first time. And loved it. The Coney Island recreation is just amazing!

And I spend entirely too much time playing Planet Coaster on my ps4 in the mancave during the cold winter days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beastfan11 said:

Ah, been looking to try that place. How is it? 

My off-season activities this year included a drip to Disney World. Just got back a few days ago, so my “itch” has been scratched a bit. I also typically dive into some RCT2 projects. 

It has a pretty small taproom, but the mead selection is amazing. The beer is typically solid, I enjoy their Pilsner but they have a lot of exotic beers like milkshake IPA’s that I’m not a major fan on. It’s a perk to have a brewery/meadery this side of the river and the location is close to work to stop off on Friday evenings too.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BB1 said:

It has a pretty small taproom, but the mead selection is amazing. The beer is typically solid, I enjoy their Pilsner but they have a lot of exotic beers like milkshake IPA’s that I’m not a major fan on. It’s a perk to have a brewery/meadery this side of the river and the location is close to work to stop off on Friday evenings too.

Definitely going to check it out!

I'm in community bands all year and have turned playing my sax into a hobby including transposing a lot of music I just want to play for fun (and potentially for random solo gigs, may start to share recordings on here).   College basketball was a big thing for me for a while, but I'm not liking what college football (which I've stopped watching) is starting to do with the other sports so BB might be up in the air.   Its a bit tough as I find it hard trying to find things to do of interest in the winter (I don't dislike winter as much as many do), maybe Pops/CSO concerts if I find some I like and a bit of random photography if something presents itself.  

Going to the gym has been one of my biggest off-season activities. Staying active is a huge part of my well-being. Going to some of the Cincinnati Great Parks to hike and explore. Arcade Legacy and Scene 75 are always cool. Volunteering at the animal shelters. Trying new food places. Pretty much anything that keeps me moving. 

• Like 1

i dont live near the area so coming from my small town, there isnt a whole lot to do to keep me busy. i mainly just work and then get on here to chat, check in on things, and watch old videos on my phone or on youtube of ki history, defunct ride povs, etc. ive expanded more learning about the other Cedar Fair parks since i got the all park passport this year, but yeah, thats what i do mainly waiting for it to open back up

14 hours ago, kingsislandfan1972 said:

Things I like to do to are make YouTube videos as well as trying out different restaurants. Also watching wrestling and spending time with my wife. :)

oh hey another fellow wrestling fan! *waves* lol

• Like 1

January was a no-spend/low-spend month for me. There's a rumor of a "mass layoff" at my job that will allegedly happen this quarter, so getting as best positioned for that as possible. Even if my group is not impacted, I believe that in the years to come, AI could very well take my job. Working toward being debt-free is a big goal.

So, I've been doing a lot of fun stuff: binge watching TV & watching free movies. Also learning a lot from a reddit sub called "beer money" that looks at how to earn some spare change.

Also writing a playscript that will be submitted to a publisher before opening day.