Grand Carnivale 2024 Menu

BoddaH1994

Here is a post to let you know what the new food items are for Grand Carnivale and a reminder that the KI Team should probably update the web site with this info.

China
• Smoked Duck Fried Rice- Duck Breast, Asian Vegetables, Rice & Egg Wok Fried
• Szechuan Beef Bao Bun – Steamed Bun, Double Cooked Beef, Pickled Cabbage
• Almond Cookies & Fortune Cookies

France
• Raclette – French Cheese, served on baguette & topped with arugula
• Crepe Florentine – Spinach, Garlic and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crepe
• Grand Marnier Crepe – Crepe with Orange Curd, White Chocolate, Chantilly Cream Topping (Candied Orange)

Germany
• Pretzel Bites – w/ Bock Beer Cheese
• Currywurst – Fried bratwurst, cut into pieces and simmered in a tomato curry sauce
• Schnitzel Slider – Breaded Chicken & Kraut between Potato Cakes served with sour cream
• Black Forest Trifle – Layered, Dark chocolate cake, Chocolate mousse & Local Cherries

Italy
• Lasagna Fritta – Pasta and herbed ricotta cheese, breaded and fried. Served with house-made marinara
• Piadina – Italian flat bread filled with Italian meats and cheese and Sweet Pepper Spread
• Cannoli – Crispy Pastry, filled with Sweet Ricotta and Chocolate Chips & Pistachios

Spain
• Paella – Saffron Broth, Seafood, Chicken, & Rice traditional style
• Buñuelos – Cinnamon sugar dusted, topped with chocolate & caramel sauce

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Timchat2 said:

Presumably no tasting cards this year since Kings Dominion isn't doing them. Carnivale at Orleans Place at California's Great America will have tasting cards this year, however.

Seems like a real miss. Makes it easier to try things. Sounds like a revenue driving attempt. 

• Like 2

It's entirely anecdotal but there seemed to be a fair amount of tasting cards walking around in previous years. Maybe they found that passholders would just purchase one tasting card for the run of the event and not go much beyond that? We usually purchased a few to cover all the items.

• Like 2

I just hope the food offerings taste better than they did last year. Most of the food was pretty bland/cold and that was disappointing. There were maybe 2/6 items we had that were decent, but the rest were met with file 13. 

This menu sounds tempting, but I guess we shall see. 

• Like 1

Menu looks promising, sucky on the tasting cards. Incidentally I'll probably spend less overall without the card since it'll make me be a bit more choosey on what sounds worth the money instead of bulk buying and allowing experiments

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stoan said:

Menu looks promising, sucky on the tasting cards. Incidentally I'll probably spend less overall without the card since it'll make me be a bit more choosey on what sounds worth the money instead of bulk buying and allowing experiments

Yeah. Seems like they are shooting temdelves in the foot with this decision. Must be some logic. Maybe to actually cut down on food cost/wasre with people doing like you said- getting things just to try because” why the heck not, I’ve got an extra punch” 

• Like 1

From the menus posted so far most food items are $6.99-$9.49:

China

• Smoked Duck Fried Rice
– 9.49

• Szechuan Beef Bao Bun – 7.49

• Almond Cookies & Fortune Cookies – 9.49

Germany

• Pretzel Bites w/ Bock Beer Cheese – 7.49

• Currywurst – 6.99

• Schnitzel Slider – 7.49

• Black Forest Trifle – 9.49

Italy

• Lasagna Fritta – 6.99 

• Piadina –9.49

• Cannoli – 7.49

Spain

• Paella – 6.99

• Buñuelos - 6.99

Edited by Timchat2
Prices added for each item
  • Like 1

How easy it would’ve been to “no thought” try different things with simply the scan of a card dangling from a lanyard around my neck. Off to Dollywood to see how a real food festival is run! (Or heck, even Anakeesta where you can get adult beverages on your “tasting card” I honestly don’t see me pulling out my wallet for any of this with the dining plan. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brenthodge said:

How easy it would’ve been to “no thought” try different things with simply the scan of a card dangling from a lanyard around my neck. Off to Dollywood to see how a real food festival is run! (Or heck, even Anakeesta where you can get adult beverages on your “tasting card” I honestly don’t see me pulling out my wallet for any of this with the dining plan. 

The festival feel won't be the same without tasting cards. Guests aren't going to go country to country to try things. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, DonHelbig said:

The festival feel won't be the same without tasting cards. Guests aren't going to go country to country to try things. 

100%. My wife and I have always bought a tasting card. At that point you've invested into the experience and you're going to actually get the food you paid for. We are not going to put the effort into going to each country and invest into getting something. 

• Like 2

Almost like they are trying to encourage it to do poorly so they can justify removing the event and/or doing something different.

The wine fest should have gave them good data on what ala carte sales does to an event like this.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Timchat2 said:

From the menus posted so far most food items are $6.99-$9.49:

China

• Smoked Duck Fried Rice
– 9.49

• Szechuan Beef Bao Bun – 7.49

• Almond Cookies & Fortune Cookies – 9.49

Germany

• Pretzel Bites w/ Bock Beer Cheese – 7.49

• Currywurst – 6.99

• Schnitzel Slider – 7.49

• Black Forest Trifle – 9.49

Italy

• Lasagna Fritta – 6.99 

• Piadina –9.49

• Cannoli – 7.49

Spain

• Paella – 6.99

• Buñuelos - 6.99

I’ve bought a tasting card every year. One year I bought two. Seeing the prices, and with food portions and quality still climbing back to 2022 levels, I’ll take a pass this year and just use my meal plan. Thanks anyway. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Almost like they are trying to encourage it to do poorly so they can justify removing the event and/or doing something different.

The wine fest should have gave them good data on what ala carte sales does to an event like this.

(Sorry to double post, the quote feature was being wonky)

The one saving grace may be that the few people who still visit that aren’t season pass holders may see these items as a good value as opposed to the $22ish per meal that is at the normal restaurants. 

• Like 1

The tasting cards are apparently up to the individual parks and not corporate since California's Great America is offering cards with ten for $59.99 and six for $39.99, as well as three tastings with the Carnivale bundle. That park apparently sees value in the cards that Kings Island and Kings Dominion doesn't.

For what it's worth (assuming the France items are $7.49) it would cost around $118 to purchase all 15 Grand Carnivale food items at Kings Island.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Timchat2 said:

The tasting cards are apparently up to the individual parks and not corporate since California's Great America is offering cards with ten for $59.99 and six for $39.99, as well as three tastings with the Carnivale bundle. That park apparently sees value in the cards that Kings Island and Kings Dominion doesn't.

For what it's worth (assuming the France items are $7.49) it would cost around $118 to purchase all 15 Grand Carnivale food items at Kings Island.

As of yesterday, they also didn’t really have a merchandise line too. They had the t-shirt bundle, but in years past it was a few shirts as well as some Mardi Gras stuff. Hopefully that changes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I’ve bought a tasting card every year. One year I bought two. Seeing the prices, and with food portions and quality still climbing back to 2022 levels, I’ll take a pass this year and just use my meal plan. Thanks anyway. 

Do we think we will see tasting cards return before the event ends? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Do we think we will see tasting cards return before the event ends? 

Maybe if per item sales are a complete flop today?  

As @BoddaH1994 points out, this may help the non meal plan crowd and Saturday would be more that crowd than a random Tuesday, so if it flops today, it will be dismal during the week.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, disco2000 said:

I 100% feel like they are intentionally trying to sabotage this aspect of the event. I honestly don’t see any financial “win” to doing it the way they are. With different amounts that have to be added up, and they are even intentionally taking on more credit card processing fees by making people make multiple purchases. If anything, I’d see them moving toward making it almost mandatory that you HAVE to have a one-time purchase (preferably on line with a slight discount) global tasting passport. You don’t think you’ll buy one in advance, then you get up the event and see how EASY it is to taste 5-10 AMAZING good items, so you go to one of the 2-3 locations and buy one on site with a “premium” price. 

3 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I think that’s going to be a lot of people.