Push for pencils

I just a YouTube short from KIPR. It was about push for pencils.  I guess this is something where people can bring pencils in for schools???  The video assumes people know what push for pencils is.  It seems like they should tell us what it is rather than assume we know.

I want to be clear: this is not a bash on Elizabeth or the department in general. I may have not seen other media as I don't follow TikTok.  And they may have signage at the park, but I haven't been in weeks so I wouldn't know.

I do miss Fun Facts Friday.

Saw the video and totally cringed. Mostly because a company such as Kings Island/Cedar Six Flags is going to rely on guests to be charitable to an organization instead of just donating to the organization. 

It's the whole "we're going to charge you $26.99 for a t-shirt, $7.99 for a vinyl sticker, so would you like to round your total up for charity?" mindset. Sure donating to ___ and ____ charities are great, but why doesn't the park (or any other parks) just donate a portion of proceeds on a given day and/or month instead of trying to pressure guests to donate? 

To be fair, this isn't just Kings Island, Cedar Point, etc.....it's a lot of big corporations, but it's still gross. Almost as bad as the tipping culture of America.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Orion-XL200 said:

Saw the video and totally cringed. Mostly because a company such as Kings Island/Cedar Six Flags is going to rely on guests to be charitable to an organization instead of just donating to the organization. 

It's the whole "we're going to charge you $26.99 for a t-shirt, $7.99 for a vinyl sticker, so would you like to round your total up for charity?" mindset. Sure donating to ___ and ____ charities are great, but why doesn't the park (or any other parks) just donate a portion of proceeds on a given day and/or month instead of trying to pressure guests to donate? 

To be fair, this isn't just Kings Island, Cedar Point, etc.....it's a lot of big corporations, but it's still gross. Almost as bad as the tipping culture of America.  

Tipping is a good way to help support workers salaries while keeping food prices low. It’s been that way for awhile. There has been numerous studies on how tipping ensures that prices remain low, and people are paid.

Look at restaurants that don’t provide tips. Notice how the price of McDonalds, Skyline, and Five Guys have skyrocketed like crazy. 

Id have to respectfully disagree, Chris. Getting people involved with causes can cause them to get connected. 

Cedar Fair charities, for example, is/was a great contributor to worthy causes.  But if they just donated the $100000.00 from a roller coaster opening without having the auction, the reach would or happen. When. I did two of those, I spoke to lots of non enthusiasts and shared on my meager genx social media. Those people were exposed.  ( And if I recall, the company matched all donations plus the cost of putting on the event).  It's the same for 3k they host for type one diabetes, the cancer program they used to do with the pink soccer balls, etc.

If this push for pencils is helping students get supplies, and taking a burden from teachers to buy supplies. There's just very little Information about it. Maybe the company is going to do a match or adopt a school via whatever Cedar Fair Charities is called now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Id have to respectfully disagree, Chris. Getting people involved with causes can cause them to get connected. 

Cedar Fair charities, for example, is/was a great contributor to worthy causes.  But if they just donated the $100000.00 from a roller coaster opening without having the auction, the reach would or happen. When. I did two of those, I spoke to lots of non enthusiasts and shared on my meager genx social media. Those people were exposed.  ( And if I recall, the company matched all donations plus the cost of putting on the event).  It's the same for 3k they host for type one diabetes, the cancer program they used to do with the pink soccer balls, etc.

If this push for pencils is helping students get supplies, and taking a burden from teachers to buy supplies. There's just very little Information about it. Maybe the company is going to do a match or adopt a school via whatever Cedar Fair Charities is called now.

The things like Coasting For Kids or First Rider Auctions, are great....not only do you get to ride in a marathon or new ride before the public, but you're helping raise money. 

But when someone goes to buy merch, food, drinks, etc. at multiple locations and they get asked each time "would you like to round up for Cedar Fair Charities?" it becomes annoying/obnoxious...when the company could just donate from the proceeds of the sale. 

As far as Push For Pencils, while that's good and fine, having worked in education, what incentive do I have donating to likely KI area schools vs my school or my surrounding school? And if they don't have the information out there, why try to promo it before hand? If there are incentives, you really need to push for people to do that sooner vs closer to the event as those who would donate are purchasing items out of their income instead of the supplies just magically appearing. The incentives may add more of a push for someone to add a pack of pencils/post its/etc. when they go to the grocery store vs saying "we need your donations." If there is not an incentive, why should guests bring supplies to the park vs just donating to their local school. 

Not just because this is KI/PR pushing it, but let's say your local Walmart does a "push for pencils," what reason would they give you to donate instead of just donating as a corporation? Yes, while donating to charity, isn't supposed to be about "me" it's supposed to be about the charity/the greater good....but in today's world where everyone is struggling in one way or another, the "what's in it for me is pretty standard.   Also, where's the charity drive for a true homeless family with 3 kids in Mason? 

Just thinking out loud. In no way, do I think Push To Pencils is bad...but I don't think the initial implementation/explanation is worthy of me going out to the store to buy supplies and bring them to the park.

• Thanks 1

They're trying to do something good. As with all things, it's not entirely altruistic. They can get news coverage about the drive and then another round when they can brag that they were able to collect and donate XXX pounds of school supplies.

Kings Island is not alone in this type of activity. Is it as pure as the driven snow? Not really, but the ends do justify the means. Plus I do believe that 100% of these supplies will go where they say they are going to go. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

Tipping is a good way to help support workers salaries while keeping food prices low. It’s been that way for awhile. There has been numerous studies on how tipping ensures that prices remain low, and people are paid.

Look at restaurants that don’t provide tips. Notice how the price of McDonalds, Skyline, and Five Guys have skyrocketed like crazy. 

But doesn't that mean the actual price of the food at the tipping restaurant isn't what it appears to be on the menu because they are expecting you to tip?

Posted (edited)

If GFort thinks that table service meals are low, then I think that Vortex still exists at Kings Island.  I prepare most meals at home for healthier eating and money savings.  At a modest table place like Cheddar's or Cracker Barrel, the prices are outrageous. When you add in a tip ( and I'm generally generous, like 30-40%) it's even more expensive as @standbymepointed out.  And every Skyline I've been to is a tipped restaurant.

But I don't think places like Starbux, fast food or dessert places should have an obligation to have a tip.  It's basically peer pressure.

Edited by BeeastFarmer
Added information

21 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

More and more restaurants are asking for tips. Why am I on the line to help support workers salaries? 

Subway asks for a tip, when their employees make over minimum wage. Sure they are making the subs, but they are not waiting on me, I tell them what I want on my sub, pay and leave. 

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

If GFort thinks that table service meals are low, then I think that Vortex still exists at Kings Island.  I prepare most meals at home for healthier eating and money savings.  At a modest table place like Cheddar's or Cracker Barrel, the prices are outrageous. When you add in a tip ( and I'm generally generous, like 30-40%) it's even more expensive as @standbymepointed out.  And every Skyline I've been to is a tipped restaurant.

But I don't think places like Starbux, fast food or dessert places should have an obligation to have a tip.  It's basically peer pressure.

It is peer pressure because they aren’t making a server wage. 

And I hear yall about how it can provide coverage for the park and the like, but I still don’t understand why I should donate supplies to the park’s drive vs my local school district. 

1 hour ago, Orion-XL200 said:

More and more restaurants are asking for tips. Why am I on the line to help support workers salaries? 

Subway asks for a tip, when their employees make over minimum wage. Sure they are making the subs, but they are not waiting on me, I tell them what I want on my sub, pay and leave. 

It is peer pressure because they aren’t making a server wage. 

And I hear yall about how it can provide coverage for the park and the like, but I still don’t understand why I should donate supplies to the park’s drive vs my local school district. 

I don't think that you should feel obligated to donate; however, for those who would want to, I think that KIC is doing the right thing by informing the members of that option. KIC also posts information about things like GC tasting cards and Fastlane, but the intention isn't to make you feel obligated to buy it. 

By the way, they're going to have to be very clear with their messaging with this to make it successful. It's easy to get people to say, "Yeah, whatever, I'll round up the $.02." It's not as easy to convince people to bring school supplies to the front gate.

For the sake of the receiving parties, I hope it is successful. No matter how anyone feels about what lies between Point A and Point B, Point B is a worth cause.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

IMG_6831.jpeg

They have the list published on the KIC website.

Sure, a list may be out there, but that won't stop people from buying other items. I mean, you have a list of park hours and people still ask what time the park opens/closes. It's silly to think that this list is the only thing people will bring and/or the park will accept.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Orion-XL200 said:

Well....

3 posts on Facebook for the campaign...July 15th, 18th and the 26th....not even a last chance reminder.

Wonder how the campaign actually went. 

There was a time a campaign like that would have had TV news outlets in Cincinnati and Dayton coming out for morning live hits to talk about Push for Pencils at the beginning as it kicked off and then again near the end. 

@BoddaH1994 and I would have talked about Push for Pencils on a Tower Topics episode had someone from the park been willing (and allowed) to come on the show to promote it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DonHelbig said:

There was a time a campaign like that would have had TV news outlets in Cincinnati and Dayton coming out for morning live hits to talk about Push for Pencils at the beginning as it kicked off and then again near the end. 

@BoddaH1994 and I would have talked about Push for Pencils on a Tower Topics episode had someone from the park been willing (and allowed) to come on the show to promote it. 

Sometimes egos are bigger than audiences.

• Like 2