Current wait times

APE

14 hours ago, lopan said:

I remember back only 5-7(or less) years ago when one could renew their pass for $69.99 the park in general almost always seemed less busy than it has in the past 2-3 years when the price has been $99+. I remember being able to go on a weekday and sometimes have near walk-ons for many of the rides, sometimes even The Beast.

I also remember this. It used to be a thing around 2008 and 2009 where the first few weekends the park was open didn't really have significant lines. Then the park made opening day two weekends later than usual for a few years, which eliminated those low-crowd weekends from the operating schedule. They've gone back to the original weekend, but the crowds are still there.

I've wondered why that was for a while now... The only thing I can come up with was the fact that the US was in the middle of a recession around 08/09, so maybe people didn't have as much extra spending money for going to amusement parks? I really don't know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

I also remember this. It used to be a thing around 2008 and 2009 where the first few weekends the park was open didn't really have significant lines. Then the park made opening day two weekends later than usual for a few years, which eliminated those low-crowd weekends from the operating schedule. They've gone back to the original weekend, but the crowds are still there.

I've wondered why that was for a while now... The only thing I can come up with was the fact that the US was in the middle of a recession around 08/09, so maybe people didn't have as much extra spending money for going to amusement parks? I really don't know.

I think it's probably expanded media coverage which the new coasters do help. I think maybe the current staff has a lot more local pull for stories than the 00' decade did. Then even doing some rather liberal ideas like adding a meal plan option and unlimited drink options gets people talking about the park around the water cooler.

I also think the park likely has a Wax and Wane effect. I know for years when I worked there I'd talk about how I was always there even when I wasn't working. EVERYONE back then complained about how long these lines were... However they really weren't that bad unless it was a busy Saturday or a Holiday. I think public opinion kind of shifts in and out of favor for Kings Island, possibly with the wait times being a big part of that. People learned that it wasn't as bad as what they thought it was and started going again. Now that the lines for food are huge, (though the park kind of has their hands tied on that matter) and the ride lines are longer again. We will see the crowds start to disperse after a peak to repeat the dip.

It might just be my skewed view since I was a kid, but I remember the lines being longer in the 90's as well. In fact learning the opposite when I went again in 2003 is the reason why I bought a pass that year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Oldschool75 said:

I did noticed something yesterday. Besides the wait times no longer being on the app. The wait time signs are also missing on the coasters at the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought those have been gone since the start of the season?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lopan said:

I remember back only 5-7(or less) years ago when one could renew their pass for $69.99 the park in general almost always seemed less busy than it has in the past 2-3 years when the price has been $99+. I remember being able to go on a weekday and sometimes have near walk-ons for many of the rides, sometimes even The Beast.

Made me think of something I posted a few years ago (love the search function):

On 3/23/2013 at 10:40 AM, KIfan73 said:

I don't have a problem with Fast Lane(s) itself. However, something I observed last summer did concern me. I visited in June during the week when normally the lines are pretty short, at least until early afternoon. On that trip, by 11AM, the lines were Saturday morning-esque. There were also a couple main rides down…I'm sure officially due to maintenance.

I wonder, will the park purposefully create a demand for Fast Lane by manipulating ride operations to ensure long lines? This, I would have a problem with.

It does make one wonder....

^ The pop up nature of the storms really worked to our advantage yesterday and sound like it might be similar today.   We were able to spend from 12-2 at SC then eat and wait out the rain in the car until a bit after 3, then hit the dry park.   It was by no means "dead" but wait times were a few trains at most except for Mr. T and Dback.  Firehawk and FoF were walk on.

Food lines were very reasonable except Rivertown and Festhaus LaRosas and they were moving extremely slow due to lack of product.  Those need some work.  

• Like 1

Yesterday was day 7 post op PRK and so I rewarded myself with a late night trip sans wife.  Who am I kidding, it was the first day that i felt confident enough to drive at night since the surgery.

It was glorious.  As I walked through the gates, Fanfare for the Common Man started playing.  Park was pretty empty.  I got there at about 845 and got 3 Banshee, 2 Diamondback, a Vortex, and 2 WindSeeker, including a fireworks cycle WS ride. 

Until this season I actively avoided riding WS, now I find it quite enjoyable.  I was chatting with a ride op while in line for WS, and upon review I'm pretty sure it was @VortexBFForever.  If that was you, thanks for the fireworks cycle, was my first on WS and it was pretty cool, especially since my vision was coming in.

• Like 3

Glad you had a great time, @Rallyomalley! I did work Op-2 on the WindSeeker fireworks cycle last night and I had fun chatting with you! I'm so glad I helped make your #KIBestDay even more special!!

As for current wait times, there are no lines at all. Even Mysty is only a five minute wait at most. Today's an amazing day to visit the dry park!

• Like 2

@VortexBFForever Your enthusiasm is infectious.  I couldn't help but notice how you never stopped smiling and greeting the guests as you checked restraints.  I'm sure with that kind of positive attitude you contribute to many guests' best day.

On a larger scale that's something my wife and I have both commented on this year.  Associates are smiling and generally seem more willing to engage with guests.  We've stopped by Guest Services no less than 5 times already this year to praise some of the exemplary acts we've seen.

• Like 4

It's been a pretty steady day here in Sandusky.

All the popular coasters with 15-20 minute waits.  Even the coasters up front still have medium-esque waits.  Probably due to the fact that it's the first natural day of summer.

Glad I went with Fast Lane.

• Like 1