Adventure Port Ride Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

Cargo Loco is a fun little family ride. I enjoyed riding it along with getting some great photos of it with Banshee. Sol Spin has a lot of intensity for being a solo ride wheel. I feel like it pulled some Gs for sure! Overall, I love these two new rides. 

• Like 10

I am a little late to the game here, but here are my thoughts and feelings.  I was happy as soon as I saw the announcement for Cargo Loco, and was VERY happy when I found out the barrels could be manually spun like the teacups at the Disney properties.  I took my first spin on CL July 3rd and at first felt bad about being "that person" with FL and being a single rider, but once I saw that it actually does run people through the queue at a fairly rapid pace those feelings went away quickly and I now Love my solo rides on it.  Ive never once had a problem spinning the barrels quite quickly even on my own, though it is a workout and I will appreciate when I have others helping me spin when Im not solo, just spin the barrel into to rotation (the platform spins counterclockwise so spin the barrels counterclockwise as well).  As far as Sol Spin goes, I always had a fear of Enterprises, and even though I have no problem riding the Paratrooper style rides like the one at IB, I had a mental block/fear of riding an Enterprise or the like due to going fully inverted so I never thought Id ride it.  However, I am happy and thankful that @DJSkyFoxx convinced me to at least give it a try 2 weeks ago because, after the initial fear and a brief thought of "Hey, the restraints havent come down yet, I can hop off and slip out the exit" I toughed it out and LOVED it enough to ride a second time in a row.  I experienced absolutely none of the discomfort that others have experienced in the seats or with the restraints, and while snug like it should be, sitting in a full containment racing seat with 5 point harness makes the seats on Sol Spin feel like Cadillac seats so I was right at home and happy as a clam in them.  Ive got to say my favorite part of Sol Spin is the G pull when you go vert on it as it reminds me a lot of the feel when a jet leaves the runway and the plane rotates and lifts.

• Like 8

Re: the spinning on the Cargo Loco, I got a crazy ride yesterday as I rode with two other people and we (well, likely just one of the three of us) got it spinning pretty fast. It was the most I've spun since the ride opened (as I usually ride solo). Sol Spin is still an insane ride that's always worth the wait. B)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think Adventure Port is a great addition. The Oktoberfest area definitely needed an upgrade and, although they downsized Oktoberfest, Adventure Port really brings a vibrant refresh to that section of the park. While Sol Spin and Cargo Loco aren't the best flat rides, they provide new options for families. I still prefer Delirium over Sol Spin, but I still think Sol Spin is a great ride. Cargo Loco may be a little boring, but it serves its purpose as another family ride. Now that Oktoberfest has been greatly downsized, I would love to see either one more small flat ride added to it or a theme enhancement. Nothing major, just something to draw more people to that area. I do like that Kings Island is leaning more towards these "mini-lands". Area 72 and Adventure Port are some of the best themed areas in the park. Looking towards the future, Camp Snoopy seems to be a great new addition too! I'll talk about this more in the Camp Snoopy thread, but I'm excited to see what else the park has in store for that area. All in all, Adventure Port is an amazing new area and hopefully foreshadows the awesome additions that Kings Island has planned next!

• Like 2

I’ve ridden Sol Spin about 10 times this year and, while it doesn’t compare to the older flat rides like Scrambler, Monster, Shake, Rattle and Roll, or Delirium, it’s still a pretty cool ride! It’s kind of nice having a new flat ride that leans towards thrills. Delirium, Drop Tower, Xtreme Skyflyer, and WindSeeker are our only real thrill rides. Sol Spin feels like an in between to those. Not as intense as Delirium, but not as family friendly as Scrambler or Cargo Loco. It’s definitely worth at least one ride.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I rode Adventure Express on Friday and was shocked at the condition that it was in. Still no audio or masks on lift 1. In the final tunnel, all the work lights were on, there was no audio, and the mouth of the final statue was gone! Not broken, not unmoving, just completely gone. On the bright side, the audio on the brake run is working again and the Stationmaster audio is pretty loud in the queue, which is good. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

I rode Adventure Express on Friday and was shocked at the condition that it was in. Still no audio or masks on lift 1. In the final tunnel, all the work lights were on, there was no audio, and the mouth of the final statue was gone! Not broken, not unmoving, just completely gone. On the bright side, the audio on the brake run is working again and the Stationmaster audio is pretty loud in the queue, which is good. 

Last time I rode his mouth was just barely hanging on. Disappointing to hear. 

• Like 1

Going along with the broken effects on Adventure Express, the state of the effects on Mystic Timbers the past couple weekends is easily the worst I have ever seen. The truck noises that play when a train is dispatched were completely gone. The entire lift hill sequence including the noise it makes when creating the lift hill was completely gone. Furthermore, the “don’t go in the shed” and subsequent “go in the shed” was completely gone from the brake run before wanting the shed. This is on top of the lights being out on the crashed truck by the entrance, most of the shed lights being broken, the backpack with the radio in the queue line no longer working, some of the TVs in the queue not working, and the audio on the stairs no longer working (which goes something like “There’s an old truck in the lumber mill, you got to jump start it, get out of here. Right now.”)

These effects not working coupled with the broken effects in Area 72/Orion and Adventure Express is sad to see. Even on Backlot Stunt Coaster, the propellor on the helicopter has been broken all year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Mystic Timbers effects are VERY low tech.  It does not take much effort to maintain those. That tells you how much effort they put into maintenance of theming.  It’s a shame because they have been doing a rather good job with theming. 

That’s good the Mystic Timbers truck headlights are out though.  They used those contemporary super bright bulbs that are not only blinding, but also out of theme.   Although the entire truck is out of theme being a 60S truck