The Beast closed?

51 minutes ago, Coasterteam said:

May she get better soon! Today is an unfortunately terrible day for the park, so many big-ticket rides down. Hope anyone who went today is finding other things to do! 

Adventure Port is in good shape! 

Photo_1716585274260.jpg

• Like 5

I'm really curious what is wrong with The Beast. It honestly seems it has had more problems since it got its new control system during the retrack.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PKIVortex said:

I'm really curious what is wrong with The Beast. It honestly seems it has had more problems since it got its new control system during the retrack.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I 100% agree... sometimes if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm no expert, maybe the old controls did need replaced but the ride has been constantly less reliable ever since. 

• Like 2

Hi there, Jeff from Irvine Ondrey Engineering here. We provided the control system update on Beast. We haven't heard anything about the current Beast closure so we don't believe it's related to the control system, which has been operating smoothly since we installed it.

There are a lot of different parts on a coaster besides controls, and we still live in a world of parts shortages and long order times post-Covid. I'm sure the park is working as fast as they can to get whatever part is needed.

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, johnjniehaus said:

I 100% agree... sometimes if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm no expert, maybe the old controls did need replaced but the ride has been constantly less reliable ever since. 

I am not sure if I had different experiences or memories then you did but frankly I feel it’s more reliable than before the changes.  Before it was replaced the ride frequently opened late and occasionally never opened at all.  Once the control system started working for the day it seemed reliable so you might have attributed the downtime to regular maintenance but from speaking with people who used to work on The Beast, the control system replacement was necessary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I have personally seen the exit gate ajar cause it to go down multiple times. So to @IOE_Jeff's point, that means the control systems are working.

You can't blame the control system if it is brining the ride down from doing it's job. 

And to this point - 

Can The Beast run with the exit gate ajar - sure it can - how many years did it operate without a sensor or magnetic gate there and could be open or unlocked and the ride still ran....

But safety is always a continuous improvement and thus the change to a magnetic exit in recent years, along with other safety features that most of the general public never see or here about.

Most of the GP fail to realize that safety is the utmost importance on these rides and because the rides are a closed system, any sensor that faults cause the ride to shut down, even when there isn't a real risk to the guests.  That is intentional.  Sure they could program The Beast to still run when the exit gate opens, but why would you do that and run the what if risk?

Contrast that to a vehicle - your O2 sensor can come on, your check engine light can come on, you can open your door while in motion, the car will go without the seatbelt latched, etc.  All of these are sensors that fault and throw up a warning light on your dashboard, but the car doesn't stop in its tracks and allows you to still drive it with those warnings.  At some point, depending on the severity of the issue, the car may came to a stop LOL, but it isn't as soon as the PLC throws a warning.

Could you imagine a warning light coming on in your vehicle on I-71 and the car immediately stops and the chaos that occurs with all the vehicles behind you trying to avoid you.  That would be a worse scenario than letting you continue with a check engine light on.

Because a ride is a controlled environment, it can stop whenever the ride programs it to stop because it is a closed environment without having to worry about other outside entities being impacted by it.  Sure it is a minor inconvenience to the guest, but it ensures that safety of the guests and employees are put first, along with the operational longevity of the ride because it isn't running hours on end with a "check engine" equivalent light on.

• Like 5

I rode The Beast when I was 10. I'm 44 now. Just paid for two Gold Season Passes plus unlimited food and drinks all to ride The Beast. I can't even get the KI app to tell me ride wait times but I found it on another site. Half the rides were closed as many have complained about. If that's the case when I show up this Thursday, I expect half a refund. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

It's not unlimited food.  The app only shows wait times when in the park, but there are other sites that show wait times.  With over 80 rides and attractions, except for when the park is closed or weather, half of them are not closed, even with budget cuts LOL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Depending on the part, depending on where the part is coming from and if it has to be a custom machined part, who really knows how long it will be down. Not to mention test cycles, etc. Hopefully it'll be up and roaring through the woods again soon, but in the mean time I am grateful they take such good care of this classic. SO many other parks have wooden coasters they neglect but The Beast and Racer get so much TLC. 

It does seem like a bumpy start to the year though for a lot of parks and their major attractions. Hopefully things smooth out sooner rather than later. 

• Like 4

Went yesterday and besides The Beast, everything else was up and running. The station teams were really starting to hit a groove in the evening hours and lines were great! 

Longest wait we had was for Soap Box Racers, but with only 1 train and the track layout there’s only so much they can do. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Went yesterday and besides The Beast, everything else was up and running. The station teams were really starting to hit a groove in the evening hours and lines were great! 

Longest wait we had was for Soap Box Racers, but with only 1 train and the track layout there’s only so much they can do. 

Eiffel Tower and Drop Tower were not running....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Eiffel Tower and Drop Tower were not running....

My bad! Since I was with the kiddos we didn't venture over to Action Zone. I did notice it was pretty quiet around the Eiffel Tower, should've put 2 and 2 together!

• Like 2

On 5/26/2024 at 3:19 PM, disco2000 said:

And to this point - 

Can The Beast run with the exit gate ajar - sure it can - how many years did it operate without a sensor or magnetic gate there and could be open or unlocked and the ride still ran....

But safety is always a continuous improvement and thus the change to a magnetic exit in recent years, along with other safety features that most of the general public never see or here about.

Most of the GP fail to realize that safety is the utmost importance on these rides and because the rides are a closed system, any sensor that faults cause the ride to shut down, even when there isn't a real risk to the guests.  That is intentional.  Sure they could program The Beast to still run when the exit gate opens, but why would you do that and run the what if risk?

Contrast that to a vehicle - your O2 sensor can come on, your check engine light can come on, you can open your door while in motion, the car will go without the seatbelt latched, etc.  All of these are sensors that fault and throw up a warning light on your dashboard, but the car doesn't stop in its tracks and allows you to still drive it with those warnings.  At some point, depending on the severity of the issue, the car may came to a stop LOL, but it isn't as soon as the PLC throws a warning.

Could you imagine a warning light coming on in your vehicle on I-71 and the car immediately stops and the chaos that occurs with all the vehicles behind you trying to avoid you.  That would be a worse scenario than letting you continue with a check engine light on.

Because a ride is a controlled environment, it can stop whenever the ride programs it to stop because it is a closed environment without having to worry about other outside entities being impacted by it.  Sure it is a minor inconvenience to the guest, but it ensures that safety of the guests and employees are put first, along with the operational longevity of the ride because it isn't running hours on end with a "check engine" equivalent light on.

Excellent post!

To add to this: 

The park owns and operates the ride, and is therefore responsible for our safety. 

Meanwhile the operator of a car, whether leasing or owning the vehicle, is responsible for maintaining it and is responsible. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 2:07 PM, Colonel_SoB_fan said:

I am seeing reports online that The Beast has been closed the last 2 days. What is going on with it?

So the motor in the lift hill is blown a few weeks ago the train was stuck half was over the lift hill and they have to evacuate the ride it will be closed for most of summer most likely 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Vampire said:

So the motor in the lift hill is blown a few weeks ago the train was stuck half was over the lift hill and they have to evacuate the ride it will be closed for most of summer most likely 

I didn't know the Dip n Dots Guy was a vampire or is a 12 year old being a bad troll.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The rumor I heard was the problem was with the electronics that power and control the lift motor.  The story made it seem like the motor itself was fine.  Either way, if it’s the motor, or not, these parts are not that special.  They are not custom components, they are off the shelf industrial items.  It might take a few days to source, and ship, but it’s likely not going to cause a lengthy closure.

• Like 1

How big is the lift motor? Saw a semi truck with a trailer entering the back entrance to KI yesterday with a rather large piece of machinery (covered). Of course, if the FB pic posted above is accurate, then what I saw could not have been the lift motor. 

• Like 2