The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

If I am not mistaken, I believe that Intamin has been the only manufacturer to use the term "Giga" when referring to a coaster over 300 ft and this term was coined when they were building MF at Cedar Point.

I do not believe any other manufacturer including B&M has ever referred to their coasters over 200ft tall as anything other than "Hyper" including any that happen to be over 300ft tall.

• Like 2

There is nothing different about Hypers and Gigas. The main differences are the height and support structure of the lift hill. Layouts are entirely subjective, we haven't seen a MCBR on a Giga, but other than that, Giga layouts are entirely subjective. You could see an airtime giga eventually, and maybe a low to the ground Hyper. They're largely interchangeable. I've not seen B&M take risks in recent years, I've only seen improvement on pre-existing formulas. Don't get your hopes up for a launched 399ft Giga with inversions, It's probably just gonna be a further improvement on what they've already done.

(I also don't mean to come off argumentative, I just don't want to see this thread speculating a Roller Coaster Tycoon level of realism)

• Like 1

@MonteCristo Intamin coined the term Giga when it built Millennium Force. Morgan doesn't classify Steel Dragon 2000 as a giga coaster officially, but it does exceed 300ft. Carowinds called Fury 325 a giga coaster when it was announced in 2014. I think its whatever the industry and enthusiasts want to call it. Personally anything between 300-399 feet is a giga. Now you could argue Millennium Force and Intimidator 305 are Giga- twister coasters where as Leviathan, Fury 325, and Steel Dragon 2000 are Giga-hyper coasters. I'd imagine if B&M made a 300 foot dive coaster it would be classified as a giga- dive coaster. Its all subjective. 

• Like 2

Canada's Wonderland and Carowinds both call their 300 foot B&M's as giga coasters.  

Giga is also going by computer terms as another name used for hyper coasters was mega coasters, (referencing megabytes and gigabytes, hence why 400 foot coasters are often referred to as tera-coasters).  

The terms are only in reference to the height, not necessarily the layout.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Canada's Wonderland and Carowinds both call their 300 foot B&M's as giga coasters.  

Giga is also going by computer terms as another name used for hyper coasters was mega coasters, (referencing megabytes and gigabytes, hence why 400 foot coasters are often referred to as tera-coasters).  

The terms are only in reference to the height, not necessarily the layout.  

I thought  over 400+ would be a Strata-Coaster?

• Like 2

I was thinking if it’s possible that they moved up the 2020 project from 2021 due to lower attendance the first half of the year. The plan was filed in August I think. It seems that Firehawk was a decision they made during the summer and may have been influenced by whatever the 2020 project may be. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ohiocoasterfan said:

I was thinking if it’s possible that they moved up the 2020 project from 2021 due to lower attendance the first half of the year. The plan was filed in August I think. It seems that Firehawk was a decision they made during the summer and may have been influenced by whatever the 2020 project may be. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Notice of Commencement was filed in early August. Don said that the decision was made for Firehawk in the middle of the summer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

So this may already be posted somewhere on these forums, and I apologize in advance if that is the case, but:  When can we expect to start seeing track at CSF if we're getting a giga?  This spring/summer?

Assuming a similar construction schedule as previous installations, it should be then. The first track showed up at KI for Banshee right after the August 8th-ish announcement date. So probably a couple months before then. I tried to search on here to see if there were pics at csf from that time period, but the search function on this site doesn't want you to search for things. 

I can confirm. There is ALOT of new track there, outside, on the East side (Williamsburg side) of the facility. But, I assume it will be going somewhere else. Unless it is such a massive amount of track, that they need to start building it now.

On edit: Here is the track. Luckily, there was no traffic. So I could safely stop and take this. I was on a public road (Old Route 32).

20190125_191947.jpg

20190125_191955.jpg

Yeah it might be fore overseas. Ugh please no yellow! My least fav color. Also why would B&M use this plant to make track. They should use a plant closer if its China. That seems like a waste of money. Then again they aren't the ones pays for it lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Uhh...

Image may contain: sky, tree and outdoor

uhhhh.. Cedar Fair made it look like this... :rolleyes:

2012-04-28_13-01-40_80.jpg

1 minute ago, sixohdieselrage said:

It's not yellow. It's the way the track looks before it is primed and painted/whatever they do.

Okay, but I still stand by KI not going yellow.

• Like 3