Everything posted by DJSkyFoxx
-
Vortex Removal Updates
It wasn’t a question in regards to the crew so much as if other members on the forum have had a similar thought. So I did not answer my own question. I cannot answer for other forum members. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Vortex Removal Updates
I hate seeing that sight at any angle >_ Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Vortex Removal Updates
Anyone ever wonder what goes through the minds of the crew that tears down these historical structures? Like, I understand there are probably some who have zero feelings or thoughts about it since it’s just another job/pay check, but I can’t imagine there not being a single person feeling sad about tearing down so many memories. And very likely I’d imagine there has to be at least one member on the crew with their own memories of the ride. That always crosses my mind any time these types of demolitions occur. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Vortex Removal Updates
All I know is that the minute the park decides to sell off her orange and blue bones, I need to be informed so I may add her alongside my SoB plaque. Also, I would not be surprised if somehow the park gave a nod to the past like they did for SoB when Banshee opened. Can’t rule out the possibilities. I could see a sweet Vortex marker nearby whatever goes in her place. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Flight of Fear the good bad and the ugly
Funny enough, even after all of these years of riding and getting on the biggest baddest of what the human imagination can currently conceive realistically, I find FoF to be one of those rare experiences where no matter how many times I’ve ridden it, I still find myself brimmed with excitement when lining up for it. There is something magical about walking up into that UFO and watching those classic space themed trains take off into the darkness. The sound of the LIMs will be imprinted in my mind for as long as I live. There simply aren’t any other rides I can think of that give me the same feeling of excitement and. FoF is a unique gem for that. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Vortex Removal Updates
I think the historic value of the station house comes from the fact that it first housed The Bat, the world’s first modern suspended coaster. And that coaster, as we all are aware, holds a lot of lore and legend. Then of course it’s been the home to Vortex for the last 30+ years, which again, Vortex was a record smasher when it opened. Not to mention the memories and such it has accumulated over the decades. Age isn’t always the solution. History can also be the value and impact left behind. I’ll use Market Square Arena, the former basketball house for the Indiana Pacers. That building was a mere 25 years old when they decided to retire it. That’s relatively young for a building to be retired from use. But the years aren’t what made it historic and also incredibly sad to lose, it’s all the concerts, games and memories made there. Wayne Gretzky got his start into hockey super stardom there. Reggie Miller put the Pacers on the map. Elvis held is last live performance ever there. Countless other tales can be told, along with my own personal memories of firsts that I saw there. That building wasn’t old, but it held a lot of significance to people for what it housed. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Vortex Removal Updates
I will say, again and again. I know these things are inevitable. But I will also say that parks without classic coasters simply feel sterile. That’s how I’ve been feeling about the wave of classic and unique coasters going out. Yes, yes. I realize that’s the nature of The Beast here. But I can also have my view on how the removal of wise old machines with what they’re being replaced with feels uniformed. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Next Steelie to Fall
I hate saying it, because I know I’m probably one of the few people who actually likes Invertigo, but I see it being the next one out. It seems CF is killing off Vekoma from its parks. That alone makes me very sad as I am a fan of their designs. Granted their older stuff is pretty rough, I appreciate their innovation and the fact that they made their product attainable even to the smallest parks. Now it seems they have gone back to the drawing board and really made their image more upscaled. But long story short, I fear Vekoma as a whole is a dying breed in the US aside from Disney still using them for new installations. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
If you had to keep a part of Vortex standing, which part you choose?
The boomerang for sure. But honestly it’s tough to imagine the boomerang element without the double loops and part of the lift hill in the background. The whole ride is still so majestic to look at. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Coney BBQ and 2018 Food Reviews
I really enjoyed the short rib and baked beans last night at WF. Reminded me of a brisket. Very tender and got them fresh out of the oven. The beans had a lot of flavor too. And the seating area was very cozy and warm to sit in and enjoy the food. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Winterfest 2019 Discussion.
I went to my very first Winterfest last night and had an absolute blast. Let me first say that this year has been hands down the worst year of my life for a number of reasons. Getting into the holiday spirit has been incredibly difficult. But my mom and I decided we needed something to cheer us up and get our minds off of the sadness around us and ended up at Winterfest. I gotta say I was very impressed by how much detail they put into it. To be fair, I know I have no previous visit to compare it to, but after having been to other light displays/holiday themed nights at other places, this really blew me away. People were friendly. The whole atmosphere was very warm. And speaking of warm, I loved how they had numerous heating spots to stop for a quick warm up when needed. It wasn’t horribly cold last night, but a little warmth for the nose and fingers helped a lot. I did maybe three rides, one of them being MT of course. But most of the time was spent simply admiring the lights, taking pictures, watching people play holiday group games and listening to people singing, trying ice skating on the royal fountain with my mom. Oh, and eating good food of course. There was so much to do, we didn’t even get to all of it even in the five hours we had. It went so fast. I’d just like to thank the park for an awesome night and for having this event. It helped spark some happiness again. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Vortex Is Leaving After This Fall Season
Not that this really bares any significance, but I do find it pretty funny that they did remove Vortex from the ride line up, however, in the opening paragraph right before you see the coasters in detail, Vortex is still mentioned in there.
-
Vortex Is Leaving After This Fall Season
I went later in the day yesterday having a feeling that the park would be a madhouse with a combination of nice weather, season pass renewal perks and of course the final day to say goodbye to an icon. The amount of cars parked in the lot, foot traffic and the LINE for Vortex sent a clear message that this ride wasn’t just another structure existing, but something that held great significance to many. I saw so many parents with their children talking about their first ride memories. It was bittersweet to know that these kids would get to ride it with their parents, but won’t get the same experience of passing down the memories to their own kids. I came down from Indy knowing that my only ride may end up being Vortex. That turned out to be true. But I had a nice drive out there and got a ton of meaningful pictures thanks to my girlfriend. She also took a video clip of me riding in the front seat ( my favorite spot on there ) getting dispatched for the last time. I gotta say that was one of the best rides I’ve had on it. All of that alone was worth it to me. Now I will say I do hope maybe they’ll do some kind of limited sale of pieces from Vortex like they did with SoB. Or even something with those sweet banners.
-
Does the Banshee rattle bother you?
Personally I have found all of the new B&M installations to be rather shaky and rattly. Their track and transitions are smooth, but the trains do not feel solid going through them. I'd take the company's older trains any day of the week as I feel they are built better. To each their own though. I just usually opt for the front seat on the new Beemers since I find the least amount of discomfort there.
-
Vortex Is Leaving After This Fall Season
I think the thing that everyone can agree on is that this is just, sad. Plain and simple. Whether you loved or hated the ride in its recent years, at some point this was a favorite for most of us. And it was definitely a first big coaster for a lot of us ( myself included ). I definitely plan to make a point to come down and ride it on the last day. I will miss this majestic beauty. They just don't make coasters this visually appealing anymore. Definitely did not expect to see another coaster go away so soon, let alone an iconic one. When you say Kings Island, you think Vortex. He's an old friend. One that might give you some tough nudges, but loyal and steadfast. Yes. I am a sad Foxx. Another big loss for the year for me.
-
Kings Island 2018: new (pony) ride
Horses are incredibly strong animals, but too much weight on their backs is definitely a bad thing. Proper fitting of tack as well as proper rider posture/weight distribution is super important. Proper riding attire for the rider themselves is also key. I realize this is a pretty cool experience that a lot of people may not get to have otherwise, but my biggest issue is that these types of attractions simply don't belong in amusement parks. Horses are not just recreational vehicles for our entertainment and these attractions don't teach people the whole experience that is involved with riding and caring for a horse ( basic horsemanship/etique, grooming, tacking up, riding, cooling down, un-tacking, etc ) I also realize that many people may not care to learn these things, they simply wish to get on a horse and ride, but I feel that since these are still animals, large ones at that, they deserve respect and understanding as well. It is an honor for a horse to let you borrow their bodies for a moment of freedom. I just wish more people would take the liberty of going to a stable or horse farm to learn about these animals if they like them so much. Gives you a much better appreciation for them. Surely some of you might disagree or think I'm being negative, but as a horse owner of over 20 years, I care deeply for these animals and it makes me sad how many untrained people just think you hop on and go when there is so much more involved....even if in these cases there is someone holding a lead rope.
-
Poor, Poor Monster
I love Monster. This is without a doubt one of my alltime favorite classic flat rides. There is just something about the idea of riding a piece of history that makes the park feel more like home. A familiar old friend. Not to mention, I enjoy all the little quirky things about this old guy. All the sounds it makes, the insanely intricate looking mechanics that go into it ( and considering how old tihs ride is just makes it that much more impressive to me ), and oddly enough-the smell. The ride experience is always fun with nice little pops of airtime and not to mention a great way to cool off on a hot day with a nice breeze ( also a good way to get a little sun when you're stuck at the top while the other arms are unloading ) So moral of the story is, I hope whatever they are doing ultimately leads to the rides return to service. A trip to the park isn't fullfilled for me without a spin on Monster.
-
Has Dinosaurs Alive ran it's course?
I think DA really was and still is a great extra attraction at the park and offers a break from the lines and rides as well as the hot sun, but like most of you, I am afraid that this attraction is showing early signs of fatigue. Nothing seems to be made to last anymore. There is so much potential for this attraction to flourish to keep people wanting to come back to it ( pass holder or not ). Either way, if DA is on its way out at any given point in the future, I hope the land that the attraction currently occupies can be transformed into something else that utlizes the peaceful serentiy of the woods.
-
Wooden Coaster or Giga?!
Honestly I would pick a giga, but I just get the feeling deep down we would be getting a B&M giga since that seems to be the trend here recently within Cedar Fair. If we got an Intamin giga or another make of giga, I would honestly be shocked. But I would go with my gut and believe the idea of a B&M giga would be more likely. I wouldn't complain though. I would just want to see use of the land with an aggressive layout that takes advantage of the park's geography. Something a bit more wild and different from what I have seen in the other two B&M gigas. But I guess this all remains to be seen. Just dreaming
-
Thunderbird has launched!
So no opening day for this Foxx, but going Sunday instead because tomorrow is going to be a wash weather wise. No point in driving all the way there and not ride anything. Sunday is great though. I am excited. This will be my first trip ever to HW believe it or not. I guess I never had the desire to go when KI has always been closer and had more coasters, but this year is the year that has drawn me in thanks to T-bird. I am looking foward to going and I hope to make another trip down when the water park opens. It will also be a bonus since I'll be with Sparky and my girlfriend, both of whom have been to HW before so I will be the guinea pig of the group hahaha.
-
If you could bring back ONE ride.....
Sonny will be the urban legend of this generation as The Bat is to my age group....even though Sonny lasted longer than the poor Bat, I will be giggling to myself another 10yrs from now when I hear someone speculate or ask questions in line about what used to partially stand on the grounds where Banshee stands today ( especially thanks to the beautiful tombstone that stands there today in memory of the big rebelious Son of Beast )
-
If you could bring back ONE ride.....
Son of Beast before he was neutered. Of course, if it were possibly to TRULY bring back a ride, today Sonny would be a much different ride in a good way; a ride that could hold the test of time and actually be built correctly. But alas I sit here with the knowledge of owning a piece of his track mounted to a plaque stored away safely in my closet still in the bubble wrap. Sigh.
-
Thunderbird has launched!
I guess it could have been even more ridiculous than electric tape....like a selfie stick...
-
Invertigo
Well if the cable broke during any sort of testing thats better than if there were people riding it. I feel like this coaster, even for its age, is one of the more mechanically complicated rides in the park and therefore makes it more prone to down time. Then again, it is also a Vekoma. I used to be a fan of them and I still respect their vision they once seemed to have. I hope they get it back up and running this year. I am probably one of the few who likes this coaster.
-
Thunderbird has launched!
So who all will be attending opening day at the park? I will be there!