The Future of Oktoberfest

fanofFirehawk

Survey Kings Island park guests.

I suspect 90 percent or more could not name Kings Island's so-called themed areas.

I suspect half or more don't even know there supposedly are themed areas.

Of the cognoscenti, I bet most think X-Base is a themed area.

It's about time to consider either greatly improving the themed areas or dropping them.

How does Banshee fit something called Action Zone? What do the other rides in that area have in common with it? What's the cohesive themeing?

What is Oktoberfest now? Why does it matter?

How does Diamondback and a huge, mostly unused metal box fit something called Rivertown?

What's International now about that street? How many guests know about the statue jutting from a building on the south side of the street? Why is it still there?

And on and on.

Cedar Fair and some Six Flags parks share this problem at some of their parks (see Great Advencha for another example).

If Kings Island's themed areas quietly disappeared next year (other than Planet Snoopy), few would notice and fewer would care.

If the park is going to keep them, do it right. At the very least, theme the music. (See Planet Snoopy. Amazing, huh?)

• Like 10

I agree with the Interpreter, the park received little love from Paramount and Cedar Fair tried to Walmart the park with lots bad music and plain themed areas. They all just blend in together, what used to set Kings Island apart from most seasonal parks is long gone.

I don't need German music playing or anything, but if they could get rid of Sling Shot, that would just be great. It's an eyesore for that part of the park. I love how they added the Bier Garten, which is definitely a step in the right direction, but the next thing they need to fix is the Festhaus. I love Panda Express, but how does Chinese food fit in a German environment?

• Like 7

It did for many, many years in Oktoberfest.

Brats, Metts, Saurkraut, and German Potato salad with a cold beer.....and getting stung by a yellow jacket while wiping down the beer covered counter in the Biergarten... ..ahhh....those were the days....LOL.

BTW, I think the area could use an Oktoberfest celebration, yearly, it really pulls in the business downtown in Zinzinnati....heck, the entire area was settled by Germans, why not celebrate at Kings Island....In fact the area could use several rides around the lake...there could be at least three rides in the area. Two on the Festhouse side and one on the Biergarten side....I'd love to see a Giant Wheel near the lake with a lighting package....the reflections would be spectacular.

• Like 10

I would like to see a German pastry shop pop up over in that area if there were ever to be a revival. Here in Indy on the east side we have this amazing little eatery called the Heidelburg Cafe which serves authentic German food, but is well known for selling German pastries and other various authentic German take out for the home. Granted its a bit pricey, that wouldn't be too much of a shock if a similar type place were put into KI seeing as that's to be expected in an amusement park. I just think a German pastry shop would be a nice fit if reviving the area were ever in the works.

Ich liebe Deutscheland!

• Like 4

If Kings Island's themed areas quietly disappeared next year (other than Planet Snoopy), few would notice and fewer would care.

If the park is going to keep them, do it right. At the very least, theme the music. (See Planet Snoopy. Amazing, huh?)

Yet if this happened you'd have a few who would immediately post here that they don't like the direction of the park and won't renew their passes. You'd have several fan boys via KI Facebook post about how disappointed they are and 40 different things the park could have done instead of removing the "themed" areas. It's a no-win situation...there will always be someone complaining about something on either side of the "issue".

• Like 6

Honestly, all the park needs to do is relight the stained glass, fix the glockenspiel, take out Panda Express and replace with authentic German food, and reinstall the drapes that attach to the lights. It's a relatively small investment that really has a big effect on the customer and the park.

• Like 2

I'm on board with either fixing up the themed lands, or dropping them totally: On the map one Big Kings Island except for whatever Kids land ill be now or in the future.

The themed lands are not there, and as much as I like Banshee, besides being the longest its not the Sprucing up of the Action Zone, and OKtoberfest that was needed.

So fix them up or drop them, first to go is Coney mall, now that Coney Island is running strong:

I remember when Octoberfest had a very German flavor when the park first opened in 1972. Starting on International Street, where each building was themed to a certain nation, the building where the pretzel place is now was the German house. They sold German food there, brats, German potato salad, and of course, beer. The Bier Gardens was a German themed food and beer building and had authentic German music with a German band playing music. The employees wore a German themed uniform. The entire area had German music piped in instead of the pop music that is played in the entire park now. This applied to each of the themed areas of the park. Bring back German food, a German band, German music and have the employees dressed in German attire.

• Like 4

German theme, I like German stuff.

Before they even begin to theme, they need a new German themed attraction. I E Keggers, or some sort of flat that is themed to Germany (Viking Ship is a pirate ship, ye be not norse)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

To be honest, I think you might see a makeover to Oktoberfest similar to the Gemini midway makeover....at least with the strings of lights and a couple of classic rides, and maybe a new thrill ride or two. I think that if they fix the clock on the Festhaus, that would be a start....still want to see a Giant Wheel right on the edge of the lake with a light package like WindSeekers light package. Would be a great view from the Biergarten.

• Like 8