Fury 325 Support Failure

Double post.

to shift things from the maintenance aspect of it, I’m really interested in the PR side of things. I’m sure the park is not answering a ton of questions until investigations have concluded, but I wonder how big of a blow this will be to the park’s overall image. If the ride gets repaired and it’s clear to open, I’m sure people will be in line to ride it but for other people it’ll take time. That video will always be available for people to see.

• Like 1

While I am sure there will be some that won't ride, but the ride didn't fail and nobody was injured or died and other rides with much worse incidents had lines once those rides reopened. I imagine what ever TTD becomes will have the longest lines at CP.

• Like 2

I'm still planning to go to Carowinds next year. Even if Fury isn't open (which would be a bummer as I've heard great things about it), there are lots of other coasters and flats I'm looking forward to riding/re-riding (I haven't been since 2003). And if it is open, I will most likely ride it, assuming all the safety issues have been worked out. :)

• Like 3

I shutter to think how this would go with Orion since the GP does not have access to see the ride up close like Fury 325. 

I think the parks response will be a pivotal moment for the company.  They have to plan their move just right and emphasize the way the ride performed and the movement was not a terrible thing.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jsus said:

I'd expect it to be the safest ride in the park after they go over everything with a fine-tooth comb.  Similar with TTD 2.0.  My hope is that both of them reopen safely, and that the park is transparent with the rigor of the inspection/repair process.

Still, some people will be reasonably nervous/suspicious while others will either forget about the press coverage or never hear about it.

Well you would think so but that’s not always true. If ridership doesn’t return maybe they’ll move Fury325 elsewhere. I know of a park within CF that has 773 acres of land and is only using a little less than half of it, that could accommodate it.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

Well you would think so but that’s not always true. If ridership doesn’t return maybe they’ll move Fury325 elsewhere. I know of a park within CF that has 773 acres of land and is only using a little less than half of it, that could accommodate it.

A single support problem which didn't result in a catastrophic failure and didn't have any injuries/casualties with video evidence that the train still made the circuit just fine in spite of that and can be easily fixed isn't going to make CF completely relocate the ride.  Last I checked, Fury 325 is still regarded as one of the best coasters in the world.  

• Like 4

Someone pointed out what potentially was a crack on GateKeeper. CP was a lot quicker to jump on this one. Something tells me that the crack on Fury325 was there a lot longer than one day. This is also damaging to B&M’s reputation. Now anytime someone sees similar track and supports there gonna be looking for cracks.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

Someone pointed out what potentially was a crack on GateKeeper. CP was a lot quicker to jump on this one. Something tells me that the crack on Fury325 was there a lot longer than one day. 

image.jpeg

Or it shows that when you digital zoom in that what looks like a crack is dirt or shadows since GateKeeper is now running?

Or maybe Fury was cracked last week.

Or maybe Fury was both LOL.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, disco2000 said:

Or it shows that when you digital zoom in that what looks like a crack is dirt or shadows since GateKeeper is now running?

Or maybe Fury was cracked last week.

Or maybe Fury was both LOL.

Either way anytime someone sees B&M support or track, they’re immediately gonna be looking for cracks. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

Either way anytime someone sees B&M support or track, they’re immediately gonna be looking for cracks. 

Yep, did that walking to The Beast looking at the Diamondback supports and seeing how easy it is to mistake shadows for cracks, and that is literally right next to it and not some digital zoom of a phone photo taken from Eiffel Tower LOL...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tr0y said:

I really hope B&M and Cedar Fair keep a good relationship even after all of this. If they don’t that only really leaves GCI and Zamperla as frequent manufacturers. Also what if Dragster 2.0 doesn’t go well for Zamperla and it is problematic. All I know is B&M needs to do everything possible to keep a good relationship with Cedar Fair.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orion742 said:

I really hope B&M and Cedar Fair keep a good relationship even after all of this. If they don’t that only really leaves GCI and Zamperla as frequent manufacturers. Also what if Dragster 2.0 doesn’t go well for Zamperla and it is problematic. All I know is B&M needs to do everything possible to keep a good relationship with Cedar Fair.

Cedar Fair is going to screw themselves blacklisting companies.  Cedar Fair is the only chain continously having problems.  These companies stay busy enough around the world to not have to mess with Cedar Fair's bs.

Crane is there. I can't seem to get their tweets to embed in the page. Source:

https://twitter.com/CarowindsFansOn/status/1676256220938641414?t=yGqvscUabkOGx3FdnqBBZQ&s=19

20230704_194042.jpg

20230704_194039.jpg

Wild guess, I bet they added the welded plates to hold the broken piece to the support when the track is unbolted. The crane will hold the track up while they replace the support.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

Saw a crack on Diamondback I did not want to see. Thankfully the person corrected it quickly once they got off the train. :P

It's July 4th. That is their sparkler holder.

On topic, I wonder if they already have a new support being made? I also wonder will they take up the footer and make it  deeper/bigger to make it stronger?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

It's July 4th. That is their sparkler holder.

On topic, I wonder if they already have a new support being made? I also wonder will they take up the footer and make it  deeper/bigger to make it stronger?

Good question. I'm wondering if its worth it to the company to just quickly get an identical replacement part installed to get the ride up and running while they wait for it to be reengineered.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jsus said:

Anyone available to make the drive past Clermont Steel Fabricators to look for a shiny new white support column?  ;) 

I couldn’t make out if they were painted white or not.

IMG_1358.jpeg

• Like 3

Just now, jsus said:

How they handle this incident will surely be a huge factor in the relationship going forward.  They overall have a very good track record and working relationship.  Unfortunately, things occasionally do go wrong.  We don't even yet know that B&M or CSF could have reasonably been expected to take actions to prevent the incident.  Plus, the overall structure was able to hold up despite being down a support in a high stress location, which, as has been noted, reflects well on B&M's engineering.  No one got hurt, all trains made it safely back to the station, and per media reports, B&M has a representative on site to assess the situation.

I agree. What I said was more or less in response to people on Reddit talking about how they’ve “black listed” Intamin and RMC. I used “” because I don’t think they’ve ever officially said “we’re not going to work with these companies down the road.” I don’t think they’ll ever cut ties with a company for good because leadership can change on either end. 

I do wonder if B&M installations will be different moving forward, especially with the dive that Dorney is supposed to get.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Coastercrush said:

The support structure will have to be re-engineered to not have the same problems.  This is not a means of bolting on a replacement part.

How do you know this? We have no idea the reason it was faulty. Was it a bad pour of steel, was it not in tolerance, or the footer pour was faulty, I don't think we will have those answers until B&M and inspectors do their tests and talk with experts. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

How do you know this? We have no idea the reason it was faulty. Was it a bad pour of steel, was it not in tolerance, or the footer pour was faulty, I don't think we will have those answers until B&M and inspectors do their tests and talk with experts. 

Exactly.  Or a poor weld.  Many manufacturing/construction defects it could have been.

I bet the moment this happened, B&M was immediately reviewing the design and probably having a 3rd party review it as that could be done without being on-site.

But B&M has a clean record and many people say B&Ms aren't forceful enough, and part of that is because they are conservative in their designs.  Maybe it will end up being a design error, but I am leaning towards manufacturing/construction defect.

• Like 6