Jump to content

Fury 325 Support Failure


Recommended Posts

It surpises me that they don't already use drones to inspect tracks on roller coasters.  Seems like they should be able to get a scan of the entire structure, weld points, joints, etc. and after getting one visual confirmation of a "good scan" it can then be compaired frame by frame to new scans and possible anomilies be identified.  I would think 2-4 drones per park could be used to scan coasters on a weekly rotation.  Finally it would also seem that putting a camera on the front or rear car would also provide a video feed that could be accessed and assessed during the day every hour or two.  Hopefully these technologies will be implimented sooner rather than later to increase the ability to finid/inspect anamolies on coasters.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone else mentioned using drones for inspections, which I agree with. I am surprised more parks haven't moved towards having a pre-programed drone flight path with a camera literally just fly the entirety of the track, giving a 10 minute video each day to the maintenance team to inspect.

 

If you wanna get SUPER fancy with it, add in some kind of IR/QR trackers on the track itself, use that as "checkpoints", then run through a AI algorithm to give an early alert system where it goes through every single daily video at those points and compares to see if anything at all has changed. Color differences, size differences, angles or shapes could all be assessed on the daily automatically while the engineering team does their walkthroughs and video inspections. I don't fault the maintenance team for possibly missing this IF it happened suddenly, who is going to spot that crack from all the way on the ground. But I think this crack probably started forming a while ago and it should have been spotted.

 

That said, I do think a programed drone would be the smart way to go. Add a LZ just outside the entrance walkway, incorporate it into the theming even, just to give a nice reminder to "hey, we are taking this safety thing serious". Heck add a little TV and show that day's video footage on a loop so people can see the whole track from a new perspective.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Stoan said:

Someone else mentioned using drones for inspections, which I agree with. I am surprised more parks haven't moved towards having a pre-programed drone flight path with a camera literally just fly the entirety of the track, giving a 10 minute video each day to the maintenance team to inspect.

 

If you wanna get SUPER fancy with it, add in some kind of IR/QR trackers on the track itself, use that as "checkpoints", then run through a AI algorithm to give an early alert system where it goes through every single daily video at those points and compares to see if anything at all has changed. Color differences, size differences, angles or shapes could all be assessed on the daily automatically while the engineering team does their walkthroughs and video inspections. I don't fault the maintenance team for possibly missing this IF it happened suddenly, who is going to spot that crack from all the way on the ground. But I think this crack probably started forming a while ago and it should have been spotted.

 

That said, I do think a programed drone would be the smart way to go. Add a LZ just outside the entrance walkway, incorporate it into the theming even, just to give a nice reminder to "hey, we are taking this safety thing serious". Heck add a little TV and show that day's video footage on a loop so people can see the whole track from a new perspective.

The only downside to drones would be rain. If it is raining, drones are harder to operate

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Double post.

to shift things from the maintenance aspect of it, I’m really interested in the PR side of things. I’m sure the park is not answering a ton of questions until investigations have concluded, but I wonder how big of a blow this will be to the park’s overall image. If the ride gets repaired and it’s clear to open, I’m sure people will be in line to ride it but for other people it’ll take time. That video will always be available for people to see.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I am sure there will be some that won't ride, but the ride didn't fail and nobody was injured or died and other rides with much worse incidents had lines once those rides reopened. I imagine what ever TTD becomes will have the longest lines at CP.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm still planning to go to Carowinds next year. Even if Fury isn't open (which would be a bummer as I've heard great things about it), there are lots of other coasters and flats I'm looking forward to riding/re-riding (I haven't been since 2003). And if it is open, I will most likely ride it, assuming all the safety issues have been worked out. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I shutter to think how this would go with Orion since the GP does not have access to see the ride up close like Fury 325. 

I think the parks response will be a pivotal moment for the company.  They have to plan their move just right and emphasize the way the ride performed and the movement was not a terrible thing.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

I'm still planning to go to Carowinds next year. Even if Fury isn't open (which would be a bummer as I've heard great things about it), there are lots of other coasters and flats I'm looking forward to riding/re-riding (I haven't been since 2003). And if it is open, I will most likely ride it, assuming all the safety issues have been worked out. :)

I'd expect it to be the safest ride in the park after they go over everything with a fine-tooth comb.  Similar with TTD 2.0.  My hope is that both of them reopen safely, and that the park is transparent with the rigor of the inspection/repair process.

Still, some people will be reasonably nervous/suspicious while others will either forget about the press coverage or never hear about it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, jsus said:

I'd expect it to be the safest ride in the park after they go over everything with a fine-tooth comb.  Similar with TTD 2.0.  My hope is that both of them reopen safely, and that the park is transparent with the rigor of the inspection/repair process.

Still, some people will be reasonably nervous/suspicious while others will either forget about the press coverage or never hear about it.

Well you would think so but that’s not always true. If ridership doesn’t return maybe they’ll move Fury325 elsewhere. I know of a park within CF that has 773 acres of land and is only using a little less than half of it, that could accommodate it.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

Well you would think so but that’s not always true. If ridership doesn’t return maybe they’ll move Fury325 elsewhere. I know of a park within CF that has 773 acres of land and is only using a little less than half of it, that could accommodate it.

A single support problem which didn't result in a catastrophic failure and didn't have any injuries/casualties with video evidence that the train still made the circuit just fine in spite of that and can be easily fixed isn't going to make CF completely relocate the ride.  Last I checked, Fury 325 is still regarded as one of the best coasters in the world.  

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone pointed out what potentially was a crack on GateKeeper. CP was a lot quicker to jump on this one. Something tells me that the crack on Fury325 was there a lot longer than one day. This is also damaging to B&M’s reputation. Now anytime someone sees similar track and supports there gonna be looking for cracks.

image.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

Someone pointed out what potentially was a crack on GateKeeper. CP was a lot quicker to jump on this one. Something tells me that the crack on Fury325 was there a lot longer than one day. 

image.jpeg

Or it shows that when you digital zoom in that what looks like a crack is dirt or shadows since GateKeeper is now running?

Or maybe Fury was cracked last week.

Or maybe Fury was both LOL.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, disco2000 said:

Or it shows that when you digital zoom in that what looks like a crack is dirt or shadows since GateKeeper is now running?

Or maybe Fury was cracked last week.

Or maybe Fury was both LOL.

Either way anytime someone sees B&M support or track, they’re immediately gonna be looking for cracks. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

Either way anytime someone sees B&M support or track, they’re immediately gonna be looking for cracks. 

Yep, did that walking to The Beast looking at the Diamondback supports and seeing how easy it is to mistake shadows for cracks, and that is literally right next to it and not some digital zoom of a phone photo taken from Eiffel Tower LOL...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tr0y said:

Either way anytime someone sees B&M support or track, they’re immediately gonna be looking for cracks. 

I really hope B&M and Cedar Fair keep a good relationship even after all of this. If they don’t that only really leaves GCI and Zamperla as frequent manufacturers. Also what if Dragster 2.0 doesn’t go well for Zamperla and it is problematic. All I know is B&M needs to do everything possible to keep a good relationship with Cedar Fair.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Orion742 said:

I really hope B&M and Cedar Fair keep a good relationship even after all of this. If they don’t that only really leaves GCI and Zamperla as frequent manufacturers. Also what if Dragster 2.0 doesn’t go well for Zamperla and it is problematic. All I know is B&M needs to do everything possible to keep a good relationship with Cedar Fair.

Cedar Fair is going to screw themselves blacklisting companies.  Cedar Fair is the only chain continously having problems.  These companies stay busy enough around the world to not have to mess with Cedar Fair's bs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

Not that Wikipedia is the most reliable of information although, interesting nonetheless:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidents_at_Cedar_Fair_parks

IMG_3368.jpeg

It's the same erroneous conclusion everyone else is making.

On June 30, a guest noticed the failure and reported it.

On June 30, the ride was closed for an extended duration for inspections and repairs, not maintenance, and the July 3 date doesn't really mean anything here.  How seriously it was taken at first report, we don't know, because we don't know who was told what and when.

On June 30, the park released a statement to the media, they did not wait until July 2 (the date of the NPR article, that's all).

Here's what the NPR source actually says, which is what we've already realized.  She went back through old pictures and found a dark spot around the weld that may or may not have been a crack.  Nobody claims that they noticed this potential crack on June 24.

Quote

After news of the crack circulated online, recent park-goer Tiffany Collins Newton posted close-up photos of the coaster that she said she took on June 24, showing what she believed was a crack starting to form.

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/02/1185717530/roller-coaster-crack-carowinds-north-carolina

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crane is there. I can't seem to get their tweets to embed in the page. Source:

https://twitter.com/CarowindsFansOn/status/1676256220938641414?t=yGqvscUabkOGx3FdnqBBZQ&s=19

20230704_194042.jpg

20230704_194039.jpg

 

Wild guess, I bet they added the welded plates to hold the broken piece to the support when the track is unbolted. The crane will hold the track up while they replace the support.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Crane is there. I can't seem to get their tweets to embed in the page. Source:

https://twitter.com/CarowindsFansOn/status/1676256220938641414?t=yGqvscUabkOGx3FdnqBBZQ&s=19

20230704_194042.jpg

20230704_194039.jpg

 

Wild guess, I bet they added the welded plates to hold the broken piece to the support when the track is unbolted. The crane will hold the track up while they replace the support.

Probably Elon doing Elon things at Twitter again, like how you have to be logged in to view anything these days.

As for the tacky looking plates, yeah.  The idea is presumably to tie the two severed pieces of the support together so they can unbolt the track and remove it.  If they just left the gap, the two sections would likely come into contact as the crane began to lift the track, doing further damage.  Essentially, get the support back to acting like one distinct assembly from the track that will hold together long enough for disassembly, and remove the track.  Then, take down the support and replace as necessary.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...