Hanna-Barbera Memories

Do you have any memories of anything Hanna-Barbera at Kings Island? When I was a kid I used to love Hanna-Barbera land and meeting all the characters and of course going on the Hanna-Barbera Carousel as well as the Yogi Bear Sky Ride. I also used to enjoy the shows that took place right next to the Top Cat Coaster, I remember a Scooby-Doo & Flintstones show. What are your Hanna-Barbera memories?

I remember riding the Enchanted Voyage a boat ride that went inside the building and featured Hannah Barbara cartoon characters and later was redone to the Smurfs.  This is the current Boo Blasters building.

• Like 4

As an 80s kid who loved the Smurfs, riding Smurfs Enchanted Voyage was a highlight of my childhood. I was so mad when they closed it down, even if, by that age, I wasn't riding it anymore and was the right age for Phantom Theater (RIP). 

I loved HBL. I miss the days when the Character Carousel actually had characters on it. 

I remember riding the original Enchanted Voyage as a very young kid and being in awe of all the lights, scenes and above all, a nice cool indoor boat ride in the heat of the summer. As a kid, it was one of my favorite rides next to my first coaster ever, The Scooby Doo! I was a huge Scooby Doo fan as a kid. I remember being so excited to ride both every time with my family. As the coaster fanatic I am, I can't believe I was actually scared to ride The Racer back then! My dad tried so many unsuccessful times to coax me to ride it. Ended up riding The Revolution at Magic Mountain as my first 'big. coaster. I realized then what I was missing!

I was actually disappointed when the Smurfs came along, but I got used to it. Of course, once Phantom Theater came along, I absolutely loved that ride and am still sad it's not there anymore as is so many others. So many past rides that I loved growing up with the park.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Skyrider said:

I remember riding the Enchanted Voyage a boat ride that went inside the building and featured Hannah Barbara cartoon characters and later was redone to the Smurfs.  This is the current Boo Blasters building.

Here is a photo from the archives.

image.jpeg

• Like 4

18 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

18 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

image.jpeg

Thanks for sharing this photo.  It was my favorite ride as a kid and loved the blasts of air conditioning throughout the ride on a hot summer’s day.

• 2 months later...

My strongest memories of Hanna-Barbera Land in the late '80s/early '90s are fuzzy at best; I remember Scrappy's Slides and finding the sack you slide in uncomfortable, riding the cars in the Turnpike and feeling like I was an adult, seeing the Mystery Machine at The Beastie and wondering why they didn't just name the ride Scooby Doo ( :P ), and lots and lots of Smurfs.  I recall being verrrrrry familiar with Smurfs Enchanted Voyage at the time. I rode it a dozen times at least. I can only remember the joy it brought, not any of the scenes from it, but I'll tell you one thing: I can still hear the blasted music in my head. An endless cycle of  "LA la LA la-la-laaa!" It must've drove our parents mad. 

Oddly enough, I enjoyed The Smurfs at the time but I don't remember watching it as religiously as Scooby Doo, The Flintstones or The Real Ghostbusters; maybe just a handful of times? Once the park left The Smurfs behind, so did I. I think I only liked the show because of the ride and ice cream. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What I most remember from the 90s are the old hand-crank cars that were removed after 2005, the McScrappy's Farm playground, and the mini-playground-of-sorts area by Busytown Grill with the recycled shoe rubber safety stuff on the ground.

• Like 2

Apologies if this goes off on non-HBL tangents.

I remember being creeped all the way out by the animatronic of Gargamel on Enchanted Voyage.  I vaguely remember Sunshine Turnpike, the slide, and the playgrounds.   I wasn't a fan of coasters on my earlier visits in the 90s (born in 86), and one thing I attribute to that is the tunnel on Beastie (wasn't a fan of AE or Beast for that reason early on as well).   I totally get why they removed it- I think I would have warmed up to coasters faster if it didn't have the tunnel back in the day.   I think I remember a Jabberjaw (the HB shark) fountain near the blue ice cream as well.   I would say before I started to like the coasters, my favorite rides were both flumes, WWC, the original Tiques (my family mostly rode from the Rivertown side for some reason), and KIMVRR.  Also, footlong Skyline coneys where Mystic Timbers is currently.  I really miss the original ivy tunnel as well, it served as a nice area separator between RT and HBL.   I remember the original wood carving shop used to be by the smaller flume.  The Coca-Cola Cool Zone in The Beast queue was also nice in the summer.  

Strangely, I was only indifferent to Racer (pre-last drop removal), and it was Top Gun that got me interested (I think it had to do with it being so quiet compared to the rest of KI's line up at the time plus the theming was awesome early in its life).   The single moment that got me hooked for the KI coasters was riding Vortex and my first Beast night ride back-to-back on a P&G buyout day (I think it was 94 or 95).  

There's one thing that I have a hard time remembering about Adventure Village that I think I get wrong.  Before the water tower in Action Zone, wasn't there a body of water of some sort in that spot across from the old shop that you went through when exiting King Cobra?  Does anyone here have any pictures that spot in Adventure Village before the Action Zone re-theme?

Speaking of Action Zone- bring back the Skyflyer lighting package.