Under the Stars, A KI Nighttime Spectacular webcam

jdf21972

Looks like the park is going to be doing some rehearsals for the new nighttime show starting May 24. The webcam is now off to not give anyone a sneak peak unless they show up at the park or live near it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Timchat2 said:

There appeared to be a full rehearsal with drones and fireworks Wednesday night according to posts on the season passholders Facebook group.

…and I’ve been GOOD about avoiding spoilers! :D

• Like 2

It'll be interesting to see how this show fares compared to last years. I felt like there was a lot to be desired, but I also know that stemmed from having been spoiled the previous year with the 14-minute long spectacular for the 50th Anniversary. I am hoping this one has a bit more of a refreshed feel to it instead of the sort of "leftovers" last years show felt like. I'm not bashing the show, I just didn't feel the "wow" factor like I did the previous year. I am always grateful to see fireworks and I'm glad the drones are here to stay. But I also know that there is so much more use of the technology they have at hand (ahem, the pyrotechnics) that really give that full-immersive experience.

• Like 2

I loved Fun Fireworks and Fifty, but the length of the show was related to fifty years.  Also because of the length, the drone use was limited.  

I think At The End of the Day was a perfect length because the drones were a part of the entire show. 

Under the Stars may be slightly longer than At The End, because the song played from The Beast exit to midway up the Royal Fountain and I didn't rush my walk in Saturday night.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I loved Fun Fireworks and Fifty, but the length of the show was related to fifty years.  Also because of the length, the drone use was limited.  

I think At The End of the Day was a perfect length because the drones were a part of the entire show. 

Under the Stars may be slightly longer than At The End, because the song played from The Beast exit to midway up the Royal Fountain and I didn't rush my walk in Saturday night.

I thought the name of the show last year was "Adventure Awaits" ?

• Like 2

I thought the name of the show last year was "Adventure Awaits" ?
It was Adventure Awaits. At the end of the day was the song name they used.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PKIVortex said:

It was Adventure Awaits. At the end of the day was the song name they used.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Should been the name of the show. It barely referenced Adventure Avaiting. Great song. Hope they keep it “in storage” and cycle it back through in a year or two. 

• Like 2

Like Adventure Awaits before it, Under the Stars is great way to end an evening at the park. During a time when entertainment offerings are being cut back at many regional parks across the country we are fortunate to have a nightly spectacle of this scope so close to home.

• Like 2

Saw Under the Stars tonight.  The show was pretty good.  I loved how they highlighted some of the ride logos with the drones, and had the trains featured!  

Always a great way to end the day at Kings Island.

• Like 3

Seems a bit all over the place. Is it about thrills? (coaster logos, but only a few). Anniversaries- those coasters have milestone years this year. Camping out under the stars? Making summer memories? It just didn’t seem to all come together. “Remember the Thrill” would’ve made sense for coaster anniversaries. Summer images of things under the stars - picnics, fireworks, campfires would’ve been good images for Under the Stars. And can we move on from drone blue ice cream? It just seemed a bit unsure of what story it was telling. Which is unfortunate after two pretty strong years. 

• Like 1

The show was great but didn’t really change much up other than a few new drone formations. Still a nice end of day treat. I watched it while I was riding Diamondback and I have to say the addition of the drones to the firework show has made it my new fave night ride. Watching the drones as you fly over the hills is really special. 

Plus, right as we came out of the splashdown and hit the brakes, we looked back and the Diamondback logo formation popped up with perfect timing. It was a lovely end to the night!

• Like 2

They really used the drones in a more creative way with this show. I really liked seeing them doing more creative maneuvers. Granted, I was in the Orion line during the show but from what I could see, it seemed like it was really nicely done on that part.

• Like 2

I decided to watch the show from the webcam as I didn't want to be out late leaving the park last night and driving home, but even from the webcam POV, it looked to be leaps and bounds a far better show than last years. Looking forward to doing an evening/night visit to see it in person. 

• Like 3

The song is nice but the chatter in the show isn’t necessary.   Just play the music with the visuals.  The chatter interrupts the flow.    

Good use of the drones and lasers.   But the use of the show fountain is poor.   It’s not synchronized to the music very well at all, definitely not like the way they used the fountain in the beginning.  

The instrumental music after the show is also nice. 

• Like 2

On 6/7/2024 at 2:19 AM, super7 said:

The song is nice but the chatter in the show isn’t necessary.   Just play the music with the visuals.  The chatter interrupts the flow.    

Good use of the drones and lasers.   But the use of the show fountain is poor.   It’s not synchronized to the music very well at all, definitely not like the way they used the fountain in the beginning.  

The instrumental music after the show is also nice. 

I don't feel like they EVER really get the fountain right - even all day long it just bobs and squirts. Nothing is slow and gradual like it used to be. AND they play all their tricks all day long, so there are no surprises at night. Ive always felt like the "squiggle" should not be used at all unless the whole thing is choreographed to music - like at nigh or 2-3 times a day (once an hour is a bit much). But never understood why we dont have Snoopy in a tux come out a few times a day and "direct" the fountains as a mini show for the kids. Even if they planned the set better for the bandstand show, he they could add a podium that extends out over the water a bit. The "fan jet" nozzles have seemed wrong from the beginning as they basically are just finger jets that look almost exactly like the jet beside it. The whole fountain redo was a disappointment if you ask me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brenthodge said:

I don't feel like they EVER really get the fountain right - even all day long it just bobs and squirts. Nothing is slow and gradual like it used to be. AND they play all their tricks all day long, so there are no surprises at night. Ive always felt like the "squiggle" should not be used at all unless the whole thing is choreographed to music - like at nigh or 2-3 times a day (once an hour is a bit much). But never understood why we dont have Snoopy in a tux come out a few times a day and "direct" the fountains as a mini show for the kids. Even if they planned the set better for the bandstand show, he they could add a podium that extends out over the water a bit. The "fan jet" nozzles have seemed wrong from the beginning as they basically are just finger jets that look almost exactly like the jet beside it. The whole fountain redo was a disappointment if you ask me.

Agree that the fountain re-do was a bust and the re-do was a very cheap design with no spinner or swaying jets. While the park could have made the decision to re-construct the original fountain pedestals with updated plumbing and led lighting effects for a grand appearance, the park chose to replace the pedestals with only stationary jets which were much cheaper and within the budget allocated (as well as updating the filtration system under the stage). The idea of having Snoopy direct a daytime fountain show to music would definitely help utilize the fountain better and provide another summertime day show at a very cheap overall cost.  It might be possible to construct a lower level platform facing the fountain on the back side of the current stage for which Snoopy and friends to direct such a water show.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Check out Snoopy directing the Royal Fountain at Canada's Wonderland on YouTube if you haven't seen it.  I think it would be a great thing for KI with a minimal infrastructure investment. 

thats where that idea came from - its even done in the freaking chain, so why is it so hard for KI to implement?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Winterfestguy said:

Agree that the fountain re-do was a bust and the re-do was a very cheap design with no spinner or swaying jets. While the park could have made the decision to re-construct the original fountain pedestals with updated plumbing and led lighting effects for a grand appearance, the park chose to replace the pedestals with only stationary jets which were much cheaper and within the budget allocated (as well as updating the filtration system under the stage). The idea of having Snoopy direct a daytime fountain show to music would definitely help utilize the fountain better and provide another summertime day show at a very cheap overall cost.  It might be possible to construct a lower level platform facing the fountain on the back side of the current stage for which Snoopy and friends to direct such a water show.

even if they wanted rid of the pedestals for Winterfest - or whatever reason they felt they HAD to go, they couldve done the set up of KD with the cluster of jets with a circle facing out. It would give them the easier set up for WF, but a fuller look the rest of the year. Basically use the center clusters during the day, then use the show squiggle and perimeter ones during the show. The fountain doe NOT need to look like its having a fit all day long. Create 3-4 simple formations and subtlely cycle them through the day.

THIS would've made it worth the re-do. I was a big cheerleader for a fountain re-do... until I saw what they did. Be careful what you ask for.

• Like 2

Mike Kootnz has admitted that it was his decision to redo the fountain. I guess it does make sense for WinterFest, but to sacrifice 90 operating days for like 15 half operating days makes little sense to me. I miss the 1972 Royal Fountain iteration.

@brenthodgehit the nail on the head. They should have mimicked the pedestals with circular jets like Kings Dominion has.  

We were told there would be daytime and nighttime shows...I do appreciate the color and height variation to the closing show, but what day show has ever taken place?  It's the same pattern, over and over.

That being said, it's still enjoyable to sit by the fountain and listen and watch the water. 

• Like 2

The fountains really need some work/re-do. The great unveiling was beautiful with the PVC pipe nozzles! 

I did initially like them, but they are incredibly bland...nothing "royal" and definitely nothing spectacular. When half of the 3 prong nozzles don't work, the random times it'll shut off for no reason, the lack of "show"/programming is sad.  @brenthodge has it right with The Island show and the Canada's Wonderland show. 

Kings Dominion is a little less royal than it used to be, but at least there is variation, water flowing more than what comes out of a .25 inch nozzle. I feel like Canada's Wonderland got their fountain on Amazon, KD on eBay and KI on Temu.

• Like 2

The new International Street has been great for the additional seating and the ability to host parades and nighttime spectaculars but the fountain redo was definitely a major miss. It's unfortunate the park did not seem to recognize how much the pedestals and larger fountains are a big part of what made the Royal Fountain so iconic. I can't imagine it will happen anytime soon but hopefully they revisit the fountains to make them truly royal again.

• Like 2

I think the difference is we have individually WIFI controlled valves - the output is at 100% all the time from the pumps and the wifi valves open and close based on the program. Other applications like the ISLAND are set up with individual pumps assigned to each nozzle that has better control. I think with KI the valves basically OPEN and CLOSE and thats why you get the little "pop" as the water begins to flow. They went the cheaper way (when you really look at it - there were no new pipes/outlets run.. its just new wifi controlled valve boxes with nozzles attached to the existing outlets. The show squiggle is just a series of arcs that are attached to the old pedestal outlet port). Regardless, I dont think there is anyone actually "choreographing" the fountains to the show or the daily soundtrack. Through the day its just "test patterns": and at night it seems like its the equivilant of "audio sync" on your christmas lights.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2024 at 10:24 AM, brenthodge said:

I agree.  They completely miss the potential of the fountain for a nighttime show.

that does require someone who knows how to program the fountain and also knows something about the counts of music. It seems like whoever is programming it doesn’t know anything about music. 

also, I have never seen every jet of the fountain working at any visits since the fountain was installed. There’s always at least one jet that’s not functioning 

• Like 1