The official "Bring the Flying Eagles home" thread.

Shaggy

6 minutes ago, johnjniehaus said:

I got it to snap a few times whenever I rode it this past Monday. It's a great ride! There's a reason we want it back and they won't give it up... I do want to make the point though that we sent them our old Vortex trains for Carolina Cyclone and our old Firehawk trains to use for parts on Nighthawk.... what has Carowinds done for us lately? 

PXL_20230612_134039579.jpg

Carowinds spent so much money on new Zamperla flat rides that Cedar Fair could only budget for the 24 seat model of the Endeavor for Kings Island. The backlog created by Carowinds also caused Adventure Port to open late. I am kidding of course.

Technically, Kings Island did get two old bumper cars from Carowinds when Carowinds got new bumper cars. The two cars do not exactly match the rest of the bumper cars on Dodgem, however.

As I have said before, The Flying Eagles were my favorite flat ride at KI. I miss the long ride cycle, snapping, early morning and late night rides with no lines, ruining a pair of tennis shoes with the slide step to slow down my particular Eagle  to jump out and ride again. I grew up with the park and losing that ride was a killer for me. Especially knowing another park was going to get them and KI has plenty of room to relocate them inside the park as they did before. That last day of riding them was a memorable and sad day for a lot of people.

I did have the opportunity to visit Carowinds and my old friend. It was close to a Zen moment. I sat in that seat for the first time in years and just soaked it in. I rode almost all day in between Fury rides. Took a few to get the snapping going again, but once I did it felt like coming home again. I did not want to leave. It's weird a ride can make you feel like that. But The Eagles were always there through so much of my childhood through my adult life as, in my opinion, the best flat ride KI had. The one we have now, is a pale comparison to the wild ride the Eagles gave. I so miss that ride! Time to go to Carowinds again!

• Like 7

9 hours ago, johnjniehaus said:

I got it to snap a few times whenever I rode it this past Monday. It's a great ride! There's a reason we want it back and they won't give it up... I do want to make the point though that we sent them our old Vortex trains for Carolina Cyclone and our old Firehawk trains to use for parts on Nighthawk.... what has Carowinds done for us lately? 

Does it really matter when they are getting our scraps?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I also  consider KI to have the better overall ride selection over Carowinds, especially on the coasters.  Carowinds has a top heavy line up whereas I think KIs is more balanced and higher quality.  Carowinds doesn't hold a candle to KIs water rides and wood coasters.

• Like 5

I have to say the Flying Eagles look better than ever with their current paint scheme at Carowinds.   The cycle there is short and ends just as you get good dives going. 

Carowinds has 17 flat rides now including Carrousel, Drop Tower and Dodgem.    I don’t understand why a park with such lower attendance than KI warrants the number of flats KI SHOULD have.  It also got the better Giga. 

BTW a trip to Carowinds is a waste of money if there is any rain in the forecast. I was down there last Sunday. It thunderstormed from 2 to 3 rained another hour and they closed the park at 4:30 after the rain stopped. The sun was out at 6.  They were scheduled to close at 10    

This is the third time in a month that the park has closed early.      That’s how bad the attendance is there. The park wasn’t even crowded before the rain. Fury was a one train wait on a Sunday 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, super7 said:

I have to say the Flying Eagles look better than ever with their current paint scheme at Carowinds.   The cycle there is short and ends just as you get good dives going. 

Carowinds has 17 flat rides now including Carrousel, Drop Tower and Dodgem.    I don’t understand why a park with such lower attendance than KI warrants the number of flats KI SHOULD have.  It also got the better Giga. 

BTW a trip to Carowinds is a waste of money if there is any rain in the forecast. I was down there last Sunday. It thunderstormed from 2 to 3 rained another hour and they closed the park at 4:30 after the rain stopped. The sun was out at 6.  They were scheduled to close at 10    

This is the third time in a month that the park has closed early.      That’s how bad the attendance is there. The park wasn’t even crowded before the rain. Fury was a one train wait on a Sunday 

That’s because Cedar Fair know’s darn well if they invested in KI the way Paramount did. It would eat away at Cedar Point. Cedar Point literally survives off being a destination park. That’s one of the reasons why all of their coaster additions with the exception of kiddy coasters were or are record breakers. Kings Island on the other hand has a good local base to draw from. The number 1 steel coaster in the world with Fury 325, 4 hours away from the flagship park?? Devastating. Cedar Fair can’t have that. We’ve been the step child ever since Paramount sold us.

• Confused 2

13 hours ago, Tr0y said:

We’ve been the step child ever since Paramount sold us.

While it's true that Cedar Fair will never let Kings Island be bigger or better than Cedar Point it is true that they have made some great investments at the park. They have just changed the market to local instead of destination. To be fair KI is still a bucket list park for enthusiasts but probably less for vacationers. That has pros and cons. Cons are that CP will always get better new coasters Pros are we don't have the insane wait times CP has. 

Also to be fair, the management of the park in 2004 was Paramount and they are the idiots who axed both our antique car tracks and gave our flying eagles away to Carowinds in the first place! If it wasn't for a bad move on the part of paramount, we wouldn't even have this discussion thread right now lol

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tr0y said:

That’s because Cedar Fair know’s darn well if they invested in KI the way Paramount did. It would eat away at Cedar Point. Cedar Point literally survives off being a destination park. That’s one of the reasons why all of their coaster additions with the exception of kiddy coasters were or are record breakers. Kings Island on the other hand has a good local base to draw from. The number 1 steel coaster in the world with Fury 325, 4 hours away from the flagship park?? Devastating. Cedar Fair can’t have that. We’ve been the step child ever since Paramount sold us.

Literally begging y'all to stop seeing Cedar Fair as an unchanging monolith who has always done things the same way and always will.

People at the top have changed heavily. You just described how KINZEL ran CF. We're a full decade past that era.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

Literally begging y'all to stop seeing Cedar Fair as an unchanging monolith who has always done things to the same way and always will.

People at the top have changed heavily. You just described how KINZEL ran CF. We're a full decade past that era.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it’s just trolling at this point. Several threads have been derailed preaching of a CP over KI supremacy. Instead of contributing and having meaningful conversations, it’s just a rehash of the same rant that’s been going on for years. Some people just can’t help themselves and want all the attention, which is unfortunately what we’re giving into as we speak.

On 6/14/2023 at 10:13 AM, silver2005 said:

I also  consider KI to have the better overall ride selection over Carowinds, especially on the coasters.  Carowinds has a top heavy line up whereas I think KIs is more balanced and higher quality.  Carowinds doesn't hold a candle to KIs water rides and wood coasters.

And another fantastic thing about Kings Island over Carowinds (and no joke, most other amusement parks) is the typical speed of their operations! Gotta love the speed of our people!

28 minutes ago, DoomPlague said:

I bet Carowinds is behind the Western & Southern open moving to Charlotte 

Your username is perfect for this joke XD

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
6 minutes ago, beastfan11 said:

I’ll chip in $300 for a Home Depot truck to get them back to Cincinnati. If KI won’t “take” them, we can put them in my backyard and have KIC parties. I just ask that you guys bring hot dogs and hamburgers so we can do it right. 

Mostly joking. 

Obviously if you live in the suburbs then you wouldn't get away with it, but I've always wondered if I live on a farm and owned my own flat ride like flying scooters if I could get away with having it operational for personal use. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...